now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Cattle problems.
User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7155
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:44 am

Bright Raven wrote:
ddd75 wrote:well.. i'm sure.. as with everything.. their are abuses to a products intent.

But anyway.. I seriously doubt that a few hundred idiots are the ones driving this change.


The regulation of antibiotics is not "group driven". It is not focused on 'hobby producers' versus 'professional producers'. The intent is to keep the meat food chain free of antibiotics and to reduce the risk of drug resistant microbes.

There is a misconception that beef, pork and poultry have high levels of antibiotics in the finished meat - studies do not support that. The vast majority of animal scientist and veterinarians are not pushing for additional regulations. It is coming from the consumer and health officials.


And being pushed along by the animal and plant loving liberals.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29530
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby TexasBred » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:42 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
ddd75 wrote:well.. i'm sure.. as with everything.. their are abuses to a products intent.

But anyway.. I seriously doubt that a few hundred idiots are the ones driving this change.


The regulation of antibiotics is not "group driven". It is not focused on 'hobby producers' versus 'professional producers'. The intent is to keep the meat food chain free of antibiotics and to reduce the risk of drug resistant microbes.

There is a misconception that beef, pork and poultry have high levels of antibiotics in the finished meat - studies do not support that. The vast majority of animal scientist and veterinarians are not pushing for additional regulations. It is coming from the consumer and health officials.


And being pushed along by the animal and plant loving liberals.

You're shooting from the hip again. People simply want antibiotic free meat. Same for milk. At least milk is tested for antibiotics, aflatoxin, high bacteria levels and rejected if found elevated (and the maximum is very low).
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
Silver
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 751
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby Silver » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:05 am

TexasBred wrote:You're shooting from the hip again. People simply want antibiotic free meat. Same for milk. At least milk is tested for antibiotics, aflatoxin, high bacteria levels and rejected if found elevated (and the maximum is very low).


The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) has a strict process of testing all meat, poultry, eggs and milk for unwanted compounds, including antibiotic residues.
1 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29530
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby TexasBred » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:24 am

Silver wrote:
TexasBred wrote:You're shooting from the hip again. People simply want antibiotic free meat. Same for milk. At least milk is tested for antibiotics, aflatoxin, high bacteria levels and rejected if found elevated (and the maximum is very low).


The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) has a strict process of testing all meat, poultry, eggs and milk for unwanted compounds, including antibiotic residues.

Yet I myself have sent packer cows to the sale barn loaded up with antibiotics and a big orange "M" painted on their hip and they sold and went straight to the packing plant. It would have taken 30 days to get the drugs out of some of them I'm pretty sure.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6987
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Ctrl Virginia

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:36 am

TexasBred wrote:
Silver wrote:
TexasBred wrote:You're shooting from the hip again. People simply want antibiotic free meat. Same for milk. At least milk is tested for antibiotics, aflatoxin, high bacteria levels and rejected if found elevated (and the maximum is very low).


The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) has a strict process of testing all meat, poultry, eggs and milk for unwanted compounds, including antibiotic residues.

Yet I myself have sent packer cows to the sale barn loaded up with antibiotics and a big orange "M" painted on their hip and they sold and went straight to the packing plant. It would have taken 30 days to get the drugs out of some of them I'm pretty sure.


".......sold and went straight to the packing plant."

How do you know that the carcass wasn't condemned? Possibly went to dog-food? Just asking.

As for the consumer and health folks wanting to reduce resistance, they need to look a lot closer at the people who have been prescribed antibiotics! I know MANY, who do NOT take for the full 10 days, or whatever regimen they've been instructed to do. When I have explained to them the whole purpose and the possible damaging results of not following, they poo-poo it. Patients need to be held accountable as well.

And to ddd75 I know 4 producers, NOT hobby folks, producers that have been doing this for a living for at least 40 years, who will throw "Penicillin" at anything that goes off feed, acts sluggish, "don't look right". Keep in mind, a few of them still believe in 'Hollow Horn' and "Hollow Tail'.
2 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16636
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby greybeard » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:47 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
There is a misconception that beef, pork and poultry have high levels of antibiotics in the finished meat - studies do not support that. The vast majority of animal scientist and veterinarians are not pushing for additional regulations. It is coming from the consumer and health officials.

You might be surprised, or may not be, at the number of consumers that firmly believe commercial poultry is full of synthetic or otherwise human supplied growth hormones.

All those eye catching "no growth hormones added" labels make it sound as if the producer has recently done something 'new and improved' when growth hormones in poultry has been banned for at least the last 50 years in the USA.

"Hormone Free" is another misnomer. Every living thing, afaik produces hormones.
3 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4262
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Contact:

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby sim.-ang.king » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:50 pm

greybeard wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
There is a misconception that beef, pork and poultry have high levels of antibiotics in the finished meat - studies do not support that. The vast majority of animal scientist and veterinarians are not pushing for additional regulations. It is coming from the consumer and health officials.

You might be surprised, or may not be, at the number of consumers that firmly believe commercial poultry is full of synthetic or otherwise human supplied growth hormones.

All those eye catching "no growth hormones added" labels make it sound as if the producer has recently done something 'new and improved' when growth hormones in poultry has been banned for at least the last 50 years in the USA.

"Hormone Free" is another misnomer. Every living thing, afaik produces hormones.

If they eat soybean meal, they are consuming a lot more hormones than they ever would get from what's added to the feed.
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29530
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby TexasBred » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:18 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Silver wrote:
The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) has a strict process of testing all meat, poultry, eggs and milk for unwanted compounds, including antibiotic residues.

Yet I myself have sent packer cows to the sale barn loaded up with antibiotics and a big orange "M" painted on their hip and they sold and went straight to the packing plant. It would have taken 30 days to get the drugs out of some of them I'm pretty sure.


".......sold and went straight to the packing plant."

How do you know that the carcass wasn't condemned? Possibly went to dog-food? Just asking.

As for the consumer and health folks wanting to reduce resistance, they need to look a lot closer at the people who have been prescribed antibiotics! I know MANY, who do NOT take for the full 10 days, or whatever regimen they've been instructed to do. When I have explained to them the whole purpose and the possible damaging results of not following, they poo-poo it. Patients need to be held accountable as well.

And to ddd75 I know 4 producers, NOT hobby folks, producers that have been doing this for a living for at least 40 years, who will throw "Penicillin" at anything that goes off feed, acts sluggish, "don't look right". Keep in mind, a few of them still believe in 'Hollow Horn' and "Hollow Tail'.


They would have contacted the seller, I'm sure the owner would have had to refund the sales price and then settled for dog food price. May have even been a fine involved.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6987
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Ctrl Virginia

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:02 pm

TexasBred, thank you for the reply, to my question.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

boondocks
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2429
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby boondocks » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:12 pm

ddd75 wrote:
boondocks wrote:I like being able to buy oxytet at the farm store. (I have no desire to be able to buy antibiotic-laced feed there).
Anyone who thinks farmers never use antibiotics irresponsibly has not read many cattle forums (CT included).
One of the wisest things I've learned was actually from Dun's (may he rest in peace) frequent, laid-back exhortation for us all to practice some "benign neglect." It gave me the courage to wait out many a panicked-newbie moment.



well.. i'm sure.. as with everything.. their are abuses to a products intent.

I don't hang out with hobby farmers so I don't know what they do.. I do know most of it is wrong.

But anyway.. I seriously doubt that a few hundred idiots are the ones driving this change. Out of millions of head of cattle, MOST in capable hands, I don't think they are looking at bob the hobby farmer. But maybe I'm wrong.. Those type of idiots do ruin everything usually.


Well, I guess I don't look at whether someone is a "hobby" farmer or a "non-hobby" farmer. I look at whether they know what they're talking about. I think I can learn things from people who have good animal husbandry knowledge. That often includes CT members who may be "between cattle" or retired from it, but still have a lot of wisdom. I try to look for the things I have in common with people. It's less agitating (usually!) :tiphat:
1 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1958
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby ddd75 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:02 am

It's amazing to me that their is so much concern over resistance in animals. Yet, you can go into any emergency room and see dozens of sick people with a 'sniffle' in there to get medicated up.

People can't sleep? pill. People feel tired? Pill. Feeling stomach pain? Pill. Fever? Pill. ANYTHING? Pill.

Of the BILLIONS of people vs. MILLIONS of cattle.. I think we are overusing medicine in people far more then cattle. yet, no concern over that..
1 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29530
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby TexasBred » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:22 pm

ddd75 wrote:It's amazing to me that their is so much concern over resistance in animals. Yet, you can go into any emergency room and see dozens of sick people with a 'sniffle' in there to get medicated up.

People can't sleep? pill. People feel tired? Pill. Feeling stomach pain? Pill. Fever? Pill. ANYTHING? Pill.

Of the BILLIONS of people vs. MILLIONS of cattle.. I think we are overusing medicine in people far more then cattle. yet, no concern over that..


You talk to these folks in the ER??
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
cowwrangler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 406
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:52 pm
Location: eastern sd

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby cowwrangler » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:29 am

when people get tired of the hoops to jump threw and we get our meat from south America ,it will be interesting to see how that is regulated
0 x


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests