Cow with Stiff Joints

Cattle problems.
Post Reply
User avatar
midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 629
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:18 pm
Location: Unionville, TN
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Cow with Stiff Joints

Post by midTN_Brangusman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:39 am

Bough a Hereford cow with black baldy calf on Monday at the sale. Gave the cow injectable wormer and triangle 10. Yesterday I noticed she could barely walk, stiff legged walk, not bending knees or hocks. She was dead this morning. Has anyone witnessed this before?

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7175
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: Cow with Stiff Joints

Post by M-5 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:47 am

an expert will hopefully chime in but I have heard of the same thing happening before with thin untreated cattle before and have been advised to gradually acclimate them to your environment.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2605
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am
Location: SW MO
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 13 times
Contact:

Re: Cow with Stiff Joints

Post by Fire Sweep Ranch » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:27 pm

Tetanus looks like that. Not saying it is tetanus, but possible. What was her body condition like? How old is the calf?
You might have got stuck with someone else's problem....
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8572
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 176 times

Re: Cow with Stiff Joints

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:53 pm

I'm with M5 on this one. All the thin cows I buy I pour them heavy with cheap ivermectin. More for the lice and grubs but a cheap pour will only kill 10% to 20% of the worms at best.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 629
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:18 pm
Location: Unionville, TN
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Cow with Stiff Joints

Post by midTN_Brangusman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:36 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:Tetanus looks like that. Not saying it is tetanus, but possible. What was her body condition like? How old is the calf?
You might have got stuck with someone else's problem....


This was a 5 year old cow, calf couple months old. If anything, the cow was too fat.

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4675
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 151 times
Contact:

Re: Cow with Stiff Joints

Post by sim.-ang.king » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:46 pm

Turn out on grass or not?
“Almost persuaded,” harvest is past!
“Almost persuaded,” doom comes at last;
“Almost” cannot avail;
“Almost” is but to fail!
Sad, sad that bitter wail—
“Almost—but lost!”

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11913
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Cow with Stiff Joints

Post by Bigfoot » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:19 pm

Possibly a fever caused by the triangle 10, that will pass? Just a guess.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7175
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: Cow with Stiff Joints

Post by M-5 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:24 pm

Bigfoot wrote:Possibly a fever caused by the triangle 10, that will pass? Just a guess.



midTN_Brangusman wrote:Bough a Hereford cow with black baldy calf on Monday at the sale. Gave the cow injectable wormer and triangle 10. Yesterday I noticed she could barely walk, stiff legged walk, not bending knees or hocks. She was dead this morning. Has anyone witnessed this before?



I do not think she will over it.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11913
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Cow with Stiff Joints

Post by Bigfoot » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:56 pm

M-5 wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:Possibly a fever caused by the triangle 10, that will pass? Just a guess.



midTN_Brangusman wrote:Bough a Hereford cow with black baldy calf on Monday at the sale. Gave the cow injectable wormer and triangle 10. Yesterday I noticed she could barely walk, stiff legged walk, not bending knees or hocks. She was dead this morning. Has anyone witnessed this before?



I do not think she will over it.


I need more reading comprehension.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4218
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: Cow with Stiff Joints

Post by wbvs58 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:46 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:Tetanus looks like that. Not saying it is tetanus, but possible. What was her body condition like? How old is the calf?
You might have got stuck with someone else's problem....


I think Fire Sweep has brought up a very valid possibility with tetanus especially after having been transported. Livestock do not have to have a fresh wound to get tetanus. Spores can enter through a cut even 6 mths earlier and just sit in healthy tissue like muscle with good blood supply but then with being handled and transported the muscle becomes bruised and then provides ideal anaerobic conditions for the tetanus spores to become active and produce the tetanus toxin.

An animal with tetanus has a very stiff and stilted gait, tail set high, ears back often with a frown and 3rd eyelids drawn half across the eye.

Ken

User avatar
midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 629
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:18 pm
Location: Unionville, TN
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Cow with Stiff Joints

Post by midTN_Brangusman » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:00 am

sim.-ang.king wrote:Turn out on grass or not?


Was in a dry lot on hay.

Post Reply