Freeze Branding

Cattle problems.
L&FAngusAcres
Beginner
Beginner

Freeze Branding

Postby L&FAngusAcres » Thu May 03, 2018 10:47 am

Have freeze branded for years using 99% alcohol and dry ice. Have just 2 head that still need freeze branded, and didn't want to use all the 99% alcohol for just 2 head. I was going to try dry ice and gasoline for these.

Couple of questions:
*If using gasoline and dry ice...
1. Do you still spray the hide with 99% alcohol before applying the brand? Or will the brands (soaked in gasoline) interact poorly with 99% alcohol sprayed onto the hide?

2. How long do you hold irons on heifer? They are black and 9 1/2 months old.
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Re: Freeze Branding

Postby bse » Fri May 04, 2018 7:18 am

FWIW i use methanol all the time, not alcohol. spray the methanol right on them. I dont think mixing the gas and alcohol will hurt anything. I do mine 55 sec but there 18 months. Guess my question would be why not use the alchohol? to expensive but is it worth messing a brand up, just my thoughts
0 x

L&FAngusAcres
Beginner
Beginner

Postby L&FAngusAcres » Fri May 04, 2018 8:10 am

I've seen excellent results at a very high percentage with others that have used gasoline. I've just never used it because we normally freeze brand for 12+ hours a day when we do it. I don't want to smell gasoline for 12 hours. Yes, was hoping to not use the alcohol due to price since I am only branding 2 animals this time.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Fri May 04, 2018 9:45 am

L&FAngusAcres wrote:
2. How long do you hold irons on heifer? They are black and 9 1/2 months old.

We kept our irons on this year, for 80 seconds and they are by far the cleanest/clearest/nicest looking freeze brands we've done. When vet was doing them, we held for 55 seconds. Not as nice.
0 x

L&FAngusAcres
Beginner
Beginner

Postby L&FAngusAcres » Fri May 04, 2018 10:18 am

what liquid did you use NEFarmwife?
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Fri May 04, 2018 10:38 am

L&FAngusAcres wrote:what liquid did you use NEFarmwife?

The alcohol. I know it is expensive and we haven't tried it ourselves but it seems as though I read on here, that you could let that dry ice evaporate and re-use the alcohol?

I'll take some pics when I get home (if I am not out repairing pasture fence after work) and show you the difference in the 55 seconds and 80 seconds.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Fri May 04, 2018 3:55 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:

The alcohol. I know it is expensive and we haven't tried it ourselves but it seems as though I read on here, that you could let that dry ice evaporate and re-use the alcohol?

I'll take some pics when I get home (if I am not out repairing pasture fence after work) and show you the difference in the 55 seconds and 80 seconds.

We were told the 99% alcohol will absorb moisture from the air, thus NEVER reuse and make sure the lid is sealed on the bottle before you use a gallon. It is no longer 99% once it is opened....
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:05 pm

If you only have 2 to do have you thought about using liq nitrogen instead. I would just find it easier to pull a bit from the tank to do the job. It doesn't do as good a job as dry ice but is adequate in my opinion.

Ken
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Sat May 05, 2018 9:03 am

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
NEFarmwife wrote:

We were told the 99% alcohol will absorb moisture from the air, thus NEVER reuse and make sure the lid is sealed on the bottle before you use a gallon. It is no longer 99% once it is opened....
This is good to know.
0 x

L&FAngusAcres
Beginner
Beginner

Postby L&FAngusAcres » Thu May 10, 2018 10:47 am

Went ahead and used 99% alcohol, like usual. Found a few head of my dad's commercial cows that I went ahead and freeze branded while I was at it.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”