calf with scratched eye

Cattle problems.
MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

calf with scratched eye

Postby MRRherefords » Mon May 14, 2018 7:32 am

I have a two month old calf who seems to have scratched his eye. There is a fair amount of watering. I made sure it is not pinkeye as I have seen several cases like that and this does not fit that description. This has a small blue line from the top of the eyeball to the bottom. I believe he may have scratched it on one of the tall blades of sharp grass that is in the new pasture as I got the blade of grass out of his eye. Besides keep the flies away from it is there anything else I can do for it? Will it heal up? He continues to nurse fine and can still see out of the eye, he just prefers to hold it closed.
0 x

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Re: calf with scratched eye

Postby alisonb » Mon May 14, 2018 9:28 am

A squirt of antibiotic eye power/spray daily till you see an improvement...just in case.
2 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon May 14, 2018 12:42 pm

MRRherefords wrote:I have a two month old calf who seems to have scratched his eye. There is a fair amount of watering. I made sure it is not pinkeye as I have seen several cases like that and this does not fit that description. This has a small blue line from the top of the eyeball to the bottom. I believe he may have scratched it on one of the tall blades of sharp grass that is in the new pasture as I got the blade of grass out of his eye. Besides keep the flies away from it is there anything else I can do for it? Will it heal up? He continues to nurse fine and can still see out of the eye, he just prefers to hold it closed.

Personally, benign neglect unless it is one you handle regularly. I would just use a mild eyewash. I would not use an antibiotic directly in the eye. Because the possible irritation may be worse than the minimum or no antibiotic value that it offers.
2 x
Make America Happy Again

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Mon May 14, 2018 4:48 pm

If you actually got the foreign body out of the eye then just left alone it should heal well.

Ken
1 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”