Fat Cows

Cattle problems.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Fat Cows

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 23, 2018 10:10 pm

I am having my annual bout of fear over fat cows. Grass on the farm is extremely good. It got a slow start but is now about as good as I have seen. Lots of orchard, clover and bluegrass.
Sept/October Retained Heifers
That is a mineral feeder. Contains loose white salt and Vitaferm ConceptAid HiMag. That is a bred heifer due to Cowboy Cut in September.
This is an October Bull Calf. Sired by HPF OPTIMIZER. Will probably go to Fire Sweep in July.
0 x

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Fat Cows

Postby ez14. » Wed May 23, 2018 10:19 pm

Ummm in your last picture your missing the tractor part of your loader! (Just thought I'd let you know before you tried to use it! )
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 23, 2018 10:22 pm

ez14. wrote:Ummm in your last picture your missing the tractor part of your loader! (Just thought I'd let you know before you tried to use it! )

Lol. I take it off when I start mowing pastures.
1 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Wed May 23, 2018 11:09 pm

You need more cattle during this time of year.
1 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu May 24, 2018 2:53 am

Keep the calves on them longer Ron. Some trade cattle would be good but they come with biosecurity risk.

Ken
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu May 24, 2018 5:44 am

wbvs58 wrote:Keep the calves on them longer Ron. Some trade cattle would be good but they come with biosecurity risk.

Ken

Exactly. My herd has become more closed. The cows stay well. Only had a couple respiratory viruses in the calves and coccidiosis.
0 x

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Thu May 24, 2018 6:21 am

Good problem to have! That's what I'm going for here. So many claim the Simmental is hard doing, but ours stay in better than good flesh and raise good calves on nothing but grass and mineral.
Same here on the grass. I was chasing a calf through a hayfield yesterday, chest high fescue and OG, and I'm 6'2". We should be making hay next week.
1 x
Formerly known as Clodhopper from SE IL

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:53 am

Same excuse different year . Ron's been told for years to quit feeding and get more animals. He does neither but complains about it .
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu May 24, 2018 6:56 am

BFE wrote:Good problem to have! That's what I'm going for here. So many claim the Simmental is hard doing, but ours stay in better than good flesh and raise good calves on nothing but grass and mineral.
Same here on the grass. I was chasing a calf through a hayfield yesterday, chest high fescue and OG, and I'm 6'2". We should be making hay next week.

Even longhorn and Corriente cattle would be pig fat on that kind of grass. Hard doing cattle don't show up in good times, it's the hard times that separates cattle that can hustle and those that can't.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ebenezer » Thu May 24, 2018 6:58 am

On chronic fat cattle, it is often a sign of too low on milk production. Just saying.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu May 24, 2018 7:01 am

M-5 wrote:Same excuse different year . Ron's been told for years to quit feeding and get more animals. He does neither but complains about it .

He's just proving that over conditioned cows can breed and calve. I've never had pasture grass like that. Looks like a really good hayfield to me.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu May 24, 2018 7:01 am

Ebenezer wrote:On chronic fat cattle, it is often a sign of too low on milk production. Just saying.

Wouldn't that show up in weaning weights?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu May 24, 2018 7:07 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
M-5 wrote:Same excuse different year . Ron's been told for years to quit feeding and get more animals. He does neither but complains about it .

He's just proving that over conditioned cows can breed and calve. I've never had pasture grass like that. Looks like a really good hayfield to me.

The whole farm this year has that kind of grass. Yes. This time of year until calving, I will worry about them being over conditioned. But, knock on wood and say a pray to the Bovine Gods, I never have a calving problem.
0 x

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ebenezer » Thu May 24, 2018 7:09 am

Metabolic function of a fat cow: not enough output. Bonsma has some stuff to say on fat cows as it relates to endocrine gland functions; Not positive. We all have preferences. I prefer a cow that gains up and milks off. Seem to last longer.
1 x

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Thu May 24, 2018 7:10 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:On chronic fat cattle, it is often a sign of too low on milk production. Just saying.

Wouldn't that show up in weaning weights?

Unless they were creep fed
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”