Cows with blocked nasal passages?

Cattle problems.
kickinbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:31 pm
Location: SC KY

Cows with blocked nasal passages?

Postby kickinbull » Tue May 29, 2018 9:15 am

Have two cows that have problems breathing through nose. One is worse and has tongue hanging out when it’s high temp and humidity. She also had something burst inside one nostril and it bled for short time. Has anyone seen this before?
0 x

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7827
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia

Re: Cows with blocked nasal passages?

Postby kenny thomas » Tue May 29, 2018 9:41 am

We see that here but it's from allergies and fescue I think. I have seen them get so bad that they push a stick up the nasal passage and it breaks off. Got 1 up and pulled out a 9" stick last year.
I had 2 Saturday with tongues out.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8966
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Cows with blocked nasal passages?

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue May 29, 2018 11:47 am

I agree with Kenny - but, are you saying just two cows are stressed out a lot more than the rest? Possibly, they have lung damage from a previous respiratory illness.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

kickinbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:31 pm
Location: SC KY

Re: Cows with blocked nasal passages?

Postby kickinbull » Tue May 29, 2018 4:08 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I agree with Kenny - but, are you saying just two cows are stressed out a lot more than the rest? Possibly, they have lung damage from a previous respiratory illness.

It’s in the nostrils, lungs are clear.
0 x

kickinbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:31 pm
Location: SC KY

Re: Cows with blocked nasal passages?

Postby kickinbull » Tue May 29, 2018 4:10 pm

kenny thomas wrote:We see that here but it's from allergies and fescue I think. I have seen them get so bad that they push a stick up the nasal passage and it breaks off. Got 1 up and pulled out a 9" stick last year.
I had 2 Saturday with tongues out.

I wondered about the fescue. The one that’s the worst try’s to rub the side that’s bothering.
0 x

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2948
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

Re: Cows with blocked nasal passages?

Postby TCRanch » Tue May 29, 2018 4:41 pm

I have a couple with the heavy breathing (sounds like Darth Vader), tongue doesn't stick out, no previous illness and agree with allergies because they also get watery eyes and it's worse when it's windy. Comes & goes. And I do have one that periodically gets a bloody nostril. Looks like a mole, about 1" inside. Most likely scratches it on something, it bleeds a little, heals.
0 x

kickinbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:31 pm
Location: SC KY

Re: Cows with blocked nasal passages?

Postby kickinbull » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:52 pm

kenny thomas wrote:We see that here but it's from allergies and fescue I think. I have seen them get so bad that they push a stick up the nasal passage and it breaks off. Got 1 up and pulled out a 9" stick last year.
I had 2 Saturday with tongues out.

I just watched the one thats worse, shove a live twig thats rooted, up her nostril and blow her nose. Seem to get relief.
0 x

User avatar
BRYANT
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1247
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:56 pm
Location: Okie

Re: Cows with blocked nasal passages?

Postby BRYANT » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:36 pm

don't know if this could be a cause or not but I saw a deer that was killed last deer season that had his whole nasal passage full of worms looked kind of like a big maggots , the deer was poor and his lungs were spotted and looked bad. ??????????? just and idea ??????????
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6452
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Cows with blocked nasal passages?

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:05 pm

BRYANT wrote:don't know if this could be a cause or not but I saw a deer that was killed last deer season that had his whole nasal passage full of worms looked kind of like a big maggots , the deer was poor and his lungs were spotted and looked bad. ??????????? just and idea ??????????


The parasites in the nasal cavity you observed are nasal bots. In an undergraduate Parasitology class my project was collecting bots from a horse. There are nasal bots, stomach bots and intestinal bots. For reference, the ones you observed are likely as follows:

Oestrus ovis, the sheep bot fly, is a widespread species of fly of the genus Oestrus. It is known for its parasitic predation and damage to sheep, deer, goats and sometimes cattle.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

User avatar
BRYANT
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1247
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:56 pm
Location: Okie

Re: Cows with blocked nasal passages?

Postby BRYANT » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:18 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
BRYANT wrote:don't know if this could be a cause or not but I saw a deer that was killed last deer season that had his whole nasal passage full of worms looked kind of like a big maggots , the deer was poor and his lungs were spotted and looked bad. ??????????? just and idea ??????????


The parasites in the nasal cavity you observed are nasal bots. In an undergraduate Parasitology class my project was collecting bots from a horse. There are nasal bots, stomach bots and intestinal bots. For reference, the ones you observed are likely as follows:

Oestrus ovis, the sheep bot fly, is a widespread species of fly of the genus Oestrus. It is known for its parasitic predation and damage to sheep, deer, goats and sometimes cattle.

so are they, deer,safe to eat ? I was cutting this deer up for a man and he had left the lungs in I pulled them out and told him they looked bad and that I had seen cow rejected with lungs that looked like that, deer was VERY POOR compared to others, found worms when I cut the rack off for the man.

back to the subject then could this be the problem with these cows ??
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6452
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Cows with blocked nasal passages?

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:28 pm

BRYANT wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
BRYANT wrote:don't know if this could be a cause or not but I saw a deer that was killed last deer season that had his whole nasal passage full of worms looked kind of like a big maggots , the deer was poor and his lungs were spotted and looked bad. ??????????? just and idea ??????????


The parasites in the nasal cavity you observed are nasal bots. In an undergraduate Parasitology class my project was collecting bots from a horse. There are nasal bots, stomach bots and intestinal bots. For reference, the ones you observed are likely as follows:

Oestrus ovis, the sheep bot fly, is a widespread species of fly of the genus Oestrus. It is known for its parasitic predation and damage to sheep, deer, goats and sometimes cattle.

so are they, deer,safe to eat ? I was cutting this deer up for a man and he had left the lungs in I pulled them out and told him they looked bad and that I had seen cow rejected with lungs that looked like that, deer was VERY POOR compared to others, found worms when I cut the rack off for the man.

back to the subject then could this be the problem with these cows ??


Completely safe to eat.

Yes. It is possible. If the cow was not treated with a parasiticide. However, more likely related to allergies or heat stress due to temperature or endophyte toxicity.
0 x
Make America Happy Again


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests