This is crazy

Cattle problems.
farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Re: This is crazy

Postby farmerjan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:38 am

We band little bulls and give a blackleg when they go out to pasture with the momma cows. If they get bigger before we band, like to 3-400 lbs, we use the bigger bander (callicrate) and give a TETANUS shot, NOT antitoxin, plus the blackleg. Cows get lepto at preg check, and sometimes a second dose if they are going through the chute at another time. Not big on alot of vaccinations, but have done some for IBR BVD etc., when we have exposure to bought cows. Do not worm cows except on a " gee they look awful thin, have a dull coat" type of observation and if the calves do like the parents, they are not kept as replacements. We breed and cull for hardier cattle. The calves will get a worming after they are weaned. All heifers get the one shot of Bangs vacc and they get an ear tatoo; vet done, but they are eligible to be shipped anywhere and that way I never worry about brucellosis or possible problems. Guess that is a hold over from the dairy industry, but it has helped identify some heifers that got out into another pasture and the owner wouldn't let us have our cattle back. Guess what, I had bangs vacc proof, and he had to concede.... don't trust some of the people who adjoin some pastures.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:12 pm

Yes, I forgot, my cows get Lepto twice a year. First one with the MLV in March, 2nd one in Sept. Lepto coverage is only good for 6 months. And, yes, we also have our vet Brucc. vacc. all our heifers.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:35 pm

We always give an Covexin 8 way shot to everything we castrate whether with a knife or a band. It has the tetanus in it. When working calves we usually give a multi min shot, Bovishield Gold or something similar and either an injectable like Dectomax or a back pour and a fly spray. We rotate fly controls. We use either Ultra Saber or Ultra Boss usually. This year I'm trying a new one. Can't remember the name but it provides tick control also and we are having a lot of trouble with ticks especially on the young calves. It seems to provide about 2 weeks of fly control. We haven't got everything worked yet. The fire has set us behind. Had a sick 300# plus heifer calf Monday. Gave her a shot of Draxxin. The program we use is basically one our vet uses on his cows and suggests. We give a booster of bovishield gold or something similar and 8 way at weaning along with a multi min shot. The cows usually get one multi min shot a year. The breeding age heifers get one before we turn the bull in and sometimes a second in the fall if we have time. Our vet says for our area there is little benefit to giving long range so we never have. We do provide a mineral with garlic and IGR in it to help with fly control but for some reason they aren't consuming much right now. We try to give what is needed but still keep the cost in control. Helped a man last spring and he was giving every calf we worked around $40.00 worth of shots. It was either 7 or 8 shots. Supposedly his vet recomended it. I can't remember for sure what it cost us last year but it was way less than that.
1 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:16 pm

The big cost item was Long Range - I switched that to IverMax.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:15 pm

HDRider wrote:The big cost item was Long Range - I switched that to IverMax.

When you get a cow that looks off use the white paste type of wormer, you'll be glad you did. A fecal sample for worms is easy and anyone with a microscope can tell if there's a problem.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:43 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:

When you get a cow that looks off use the white paste type of wormer, you'll be glad you did. A fecal sample for worms is easy and anyone with a microscope can tell if there's a problem.

This?

0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:21 pm

HDRider wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

This?

Yes sorta, I use the liquid and a drench gun.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:02 pm

That is for horses. More expensive that way.
But, Safe-guard is a great cattle dewormer. I have used the chalkie liquid with a drench gun also.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Health & Nutrition”