Ivomec Injectable?

Cattle problems.
Chocolate Cow2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Ivomec Injectable?

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:33 pm

This is a good article on wormers and resistance.
https://www.bovinevetonline.com/article ... -resources
1 x

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ebenezer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:37 am

Chocolate Cow2 wrote:This is a good article on wormers and resistance.
https://www.bovinevetonline.com/article ... -resources

Enjoyed the article. We go at it a little differently and only worm cattle under 3 YO and not real often. Seems to help identify the "wimpy cattle" quickly for the ride to the barn. I sometimes wonder if it would not be better to manage the cattle like the sheep and have a zero worm policy in the breeders and only worm to have survivors to go to the meat market along with the parents. Seems to have been good. Culling to get to this point was an expense. But part of it.

I still wonder what the deal will be in 10 years when the parasites are resistant to the 2 dewormer combination? It will happen and would seemingly will make them more difficult to deal with. Thanks.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:06 am

Ebenezer wrote:
I still wonder what the deal will be in 10 years when the parasites are resistant to the 2 dewormer combination? It will happen and would seemingly will make them more difficult to deal with. Thanks.

Parasites are invertebrates. Their physiology is enough different from Vertebrates that a toxin to a parasite is not a toxin to the cow (vertebrate). You know that, I am providing background.

There must be 1001 toxins that have not been discovered that will kill parasites and not kill vertebrates. I agree, parasites evolve at a faster pace than larger organisms (that is another topic - has to do with larger populations and thus more opportunities for variation and adaptability) so yes, the current family of parasiticides will become obsolete. But drug companies then have an opportunity to develop the next generation of parasiticides. I see that as an opportunity.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:05 am

Ebenezer wrote:I still wonder what the deal will be in 10 years when the parasites are resistant to the 2 dewormer combination? It will happen and would seemingly will make them more difficult to deal with. Thanks.

We may have to buy some unmanaged scrub bulls to outcross with resistant cows?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Health & Nutrition”