When is a Bull Calf too big to band?

Cattle problems.
elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Re: When is a Bull Calf too big to band?

Postby elkwc » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:45 pm

I used to knife cut everything. But with running bulls year round and not being there full time some of the bulls would get bigger. We started using the Callicrate Bander and haven’t had any issues. Has anyone used the zip bandits? Have heard good results and just ordered some.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:17 pm

elkwc wrote:I used to knife cut everything. But with running bulls year round and not being there full time some of the bulls would get bigger. We started using the Callicrate Bander and haven’t had any issues. Has anyone used the zip bandits? Have heard good results and just ordered some.

Saw your other post. And no, I haven't but interested in what others have to say.
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:32 am

Zip bandits are made about 20 miles from me. If they work good I bet they will become popular - pretty simple application. I've got a couple young bulls that need to be banded, I'm going to give these a try.
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:15 am

CPA will be interested to hear your opinion after you use them. As soon as I get the ones I ordered I will use a few. If they work well imagine we will use them as they look to be simple to use.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:36 pm

I just googled it. That is super easy and no tool!!! Keep us posted.
You would def want to vaccinate for tetanus.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:31 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I just googled it. That is super easy and no tool!!! Keep us posted.
You would def want to vaccinate for tetanus.

We give 8 way with tetanus when we work them. 8 way is all we have used for several years. It will be the weekend of the 7th & 8th that I will likely use them. They won't be here yet this weekend. They have been shipped so should be here by next Friday I hope. I understand they are fairly new. The tubing is the same length regardless of weight. So some feel that is why it takes longer for the smaller calves to drop off. There is less tension on their cords than the bigger ones have. I know with the Callicrate the bigger ones seem to take 3-4 weeks and the smaller ones around 2. Just opposite of what I'm told is the case with these. I'm told they are a lot easier to apply and get both testicles and faster. I will update after I have used them.
1 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:57 pm

I have a California bander I use for just a few per year. Its about as easy and fool proof as I can imagine. If I cut a slit in the sack, everything is gone within 2 weeks. I keep saying I’ll do them earlier each year, but they’re usually 400-600 lbs before I get to it.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:43 pm

I watched a video on the Zip Bandit - not sure how you know when you pulled it tight enough? Looks like he is just putting a zip tie on them.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby sstterry » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:34 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I watched a video on the Zip Bandit - not sure how you know when you pulled it tight enough? Looks like he is just putting a zip tie on them.

I saw these a few months ago and this was my first thought. How do you know it is tight enough? I understand the cheerio band can keep reducing in size. But the Zip Bandit how can you be sure it will be tight enough?
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:42 am

As I understand you pull it until it hits the tubing. That is why you get more tension on the bag of a bigger calf and less on a smaller calf.The tubing is what stretches and maintains the tension. Similar to a calicrate bander.I will see if any instructions come with them but that is how I understand it. But there is only a few around that have used them at this point.
1 x

sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby sstterry » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:42 am

I just saw this picture and that may explain why it will work. There is a cut in the zip tie allowing the rubber to contract as need be.

https://www.farmshow.com/images/resize. ... 7207_l.jpg

I am not sure how to post a picture these days. But you can copy and paste the link.
Last edited by sstterry on Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby sstterry » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:44 am

Edit: Elkwc beat me to it.
0 x

sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby sstterry » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:54 am

M.Magis wrote:I have a California bander I use for just a few per year. Its about as easy and fool proof as I can imagine. If I cut a slit in the sack, everything is gone within 2 weeks. I keep saying I’ll do them earlier each year, but they’re usually 400-600 lbs before I get to it.

What is the benefit of cutting the slit?
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:57 am

sstterry wrote:
M.Magis wrote:I have a California bander I use for just a few per year. Its about as easy and fool proof as I can imagine. If I cut a slit in the sack, everything is gone within 2 weeks. I keep saying I’ll do them earlier each year, but they’re usually 400-600 lbs before I get to it.

What is the benefit of cutting the slit?

From what I've seen, less swelling and it dries up very quickly. Basically lets the sack drain instead of holding all the fluid inside the sack.
2 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:47 am

Do you put some sort of a kick board in place behind the bull when working them alone to prevent being kicked?
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”