Should I change something up?

Cattle problems.
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Should I change something up?

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:37 am

Thanks for taking the time to list all that info.
So, on your calves, the first time they receive any respiratory vaccine is prior & at weaning?
Do you give your breeding herd any abortion preventing vaccines - Like BoviShield?
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:24 pm

Lucky_P wrote:We have about as close to a 'closed' herd as most are gonna get... no fenceline contact with other cattle, have purchased and brought in two bulls over the past 12 years, anything that leaves never comes back.

I'm a minimalist...
Calves get an 8 or 9-way Clostridial bacterin/toxoid, including tetanus, at around 2 wks of age, and then a booster 3-4 weeks later. The 'interference of maternal antibody' deal that so many of us older veterinarians were taught back in the day has been shown not to be a significant concern.
Cows and heifers get an initial round of two doses of a Lepto HB bacterin, and a yearly booster. If there were an effective Neospora vaccine, I'd probably use it. If I had anaplasmosis in the herd, I'd be vaccinating against it.

Steers and heifers not retained (and for the past year or so, all heifers) get an initial pre-weaning dose of Inforce-3 and BVD One-Shot at insertion of Quiet-Wean nose blabs, then a booster of Inforce-3 2-3 weeks later, when the blabs are removed and calves separated from the cows. This should provide these calves with protection against most respiratory pathogens they'll encounter when they leave the farm in another couple of weeks.

YMMV... you may need to do more... unlikely that you need to do less.
Deworming/castration/implanting... certainly things to consider, and timing may play a role in optimizing efficacy of those practices.
I'll deworm calves, weanling and yearling heifers, and the occasional first-calf heifer... but can't recall the last time I dewormed a cow that was over 3 yrs of age.

C.chauvoei, the organism that causes blackleg, is a soil organism... it's everywhere, worldwide. If you don't vaccinate, and you've had no losses to it... you've just been fortunate, and if you 'roll the dice' long enough, you'll pay the price.
No 'age limit' on non-vaccinated cattle contracting it... I've seen it in a 3-yr old bull (unvaccinated), and in mature cows that had pretty good history of having been vaccinated as calves... so I now advocate boostering the cowherd with a Clostridial bacterin/toxoid at least every 2-3 years or so.

One of the most informative posts I’ve ever read on here. Thanks. LuckyP if you’re a minimalist then I’m not sure what I’m classified as... but it’s lower than that :tiphat:
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:12 pm

Was hoping you'd chime in LuckyP. As usual, superlative advice. Appreciate that you commented on the age old conventional wisdom of maternal antibody interference. Current research proves otherwise but its typically hard to teach old dogs new tricks. VBG. You'd likely think my vaccination protocol over the top but buyers are happy so I'll continue. Incorporated Lepto HB and the "experimental" Anaplaz killed vaccine when both became available. The latter strictly for bulls not indigenous to my endemic area.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:31 pm

76 Bar wrote:Was hoping you'd chime in LuckyP. As usual, superlative advice. Appreciate that you commented on the age old conventional wisdom of maternal antibody interference. Current research proves otherwise but its typically hard to teach old dogs new tricks. VBG. You'd likely think my vaccination protocol over the top but buyers are happy so I'll continue. Incorporated Lepto HB and the "experimental" Anaplaz killed vaccine when both became available. The latter strictly for bulls not indigenous to my endemic area.

I have told others that, but as you say, difficult to change others opinions when "research" told us the opposite for so many years.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:24 pm

Unfortunately, far too many veterinarians fail to keep abreast or worse, look askance at newer technology. Suffice it to say, its prudent to be well educated.
0 x

mdt192
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mdt192 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:30 am

Thanks for all the input. I will definitely keep it in mind going forward.
1 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”