Wait and see?

Cattle problems.
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Wait and see?

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:09 pm

Not sure what to do with an 8 year old cow. No coughing, snotty nose, runny/crusty eyes, heavy breathing, drooling, limping. Eyes aren't jaundice, vulva & gums nice and pink. No limping, stretches like normal when she gets up, still has a good appetite. But her ears are droopy and she is suddenly away but not far from the herd. Temp has gone from 100.7 yesterday afternoon (but not sure if that's accurate because I never heard the beep), 101.7 this morning and 102.1 this afternoon. If she were even remotely close to the corral or barn I'd just catch & take her to the vet but she's about as far as she can get - can't even get to her except on foot.

Thoughts on what could be wrong? Should I just keep watching/taking her temp? She's super docile but I wouldn't want to press my luck giving shots; worst case scenario I could halter/tie her to a tree.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Wait and see?

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:22 pm

TCRanch wrote:Not sure what to do with an 8 year old cow. No coughing, snotty nose, runny/crusty eyes, heavy breathing, drooling, limping. Eyes aren't jaundice, vulva & gums nice and pink. No limping stretches like normal when she gets up, still has a good appetite. But her ears are droopy and she is suddenly away but not far from the herd.

Sounds like possible heat stress.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:31 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
TCRanch wrote:Not sure what to do with an 8 year old cow. No coughing, snotty nose, runny/crusty eyes, heavy breathing, drooling, limping. Eyes aren't jaundice, vulva & gums nice and pink. No limping stretches like normal when she gets up, still has a good appetite. But her ears are droopy and she is suddenly away but not far from the herd.

Sounds like possible heat stress.

It was in the 70's yesterday with (much needed!) t-storms, 81 was the high today. But just in case, what other symptoms should I look for & what would I do to treat heat stress? That's a new one for me. She's hanging out under a tree, completely shaded. Has access to water in a stream but not enough to wade/submerge herself.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:38 pm

Not as likely at that temperature. She would also be breathing hard, even drooling.

Heat stress is a killer. It is common. There was a guy who lost a whole herd of steers in Kansas last year to heat stress.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:55 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Not as likely at that temperature. She would also be breathing hard, even drooling.

Heat stress is a killer. It is common. There was a guy who lost a whole herd of steers in Kansas last year to heat stress.

I saw those pics on Facebook last year and it was heart wrenching! No heavy breathing or drooling with my girl. I'm stumped!
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:29 pm

Banamine would help with fever and any mild inflammation. Sounds somewhat like pneumonia but some symptoms are missing or it may just be presenting in a different way. Good appetite is definitely a huge positive. As long as she wasn’t off feed I’d probably just watch her. But I’m not a vet. Good luck.
Last edited by JMJ Farms on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:44 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:Not as likely at that temperature. She would also be breathing hard, even drooling.

I saw those pics on Facebook last year and it was heart wrenching! No heavy breathing or drooling with my girl. I'm stumped!

Those temperatures are close to normal. That is why I suggested heat stress because an infection would cause a greater response in temperature as the body responds to an infectious agent.

What about fescue toxicity? Is she shed out slick?
0 x
Make America Happy Again

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:49 pm

A mild case of nitrate poisoning? After being really dry and then some getting rain could cause problems.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:19 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
TCRanch wrote:

Those temperatures are close to normal. That is why I suggested heat stress because an infection would cause a greater response in temperature as the body responds to an infectious agent.

What about fescue toxicity? Is she shed out slick?

Slick as snot. Really don't have fescue around here, grazing primarily plain old prairie and occasionally johnsongrass. Having phone issues & can't upload a pic.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:20 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:A mild case of nitrate poisoning? After being really dry and then some getting rain could cause problems.

Tell me about nitrate poisoning. Fortunately something else I'm not familiar with. Additional symptoms?
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:26 pm

Finally able to upload a pic:
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:30 pm

TCRanch wrote:Finally able to upload a pic:

She looks good. Maybe just monitor her. Is she halter broke?
0 x
Make America Happy Again

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:39 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
TCRanch wrote:Finally able to upload a pic:

She looks good. Maybe just monitor her. Is she halter broke?

Not halter broke but she just laid there while I took her temp 3 times, checked her vulva & gums & dug between her toes checking for foot rot. Not sure I'd press my luck trying to give her a shot without her being contained, though!
0 x

Turkeybird
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Turkeybird » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:44 pm

Perilla mint weed grow there?
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:50 pm

Turkeybird wrote:Perilla mint weed grow there?

I've never seen it in our pastures or heard of it around here. Doesn't mean it's not there - never say never.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”