Wait and see?

Cattle problems.
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Wait and see?

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:03 pm

I'd hate to lay it on hardware without knowing .you ever pulled blood on one?
Last edited by ALACOWMAN on Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:25 pm

:frowns: So sorry you're continuing to struggle to resolve the issues with your cow. Most would have given up long ago. Admire your perserverence to resolve her issue(s) and restore her health.
Why don't you sell the pair now?

All due respect but dumping an ailing/unhealthy animal on the market place is anathema to good stewardship/stockmanship. Nuff said.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:31 pm

76 Bar wrote::frowns: So sorry you're continuing to struggle to resolve the issues with your cow. Most would have given up long ago. Admire your perserverence to resolve her issue(s) and restore her health.

All due respect but dumping an ailing/unhealthy animal on the market place is anathema to good stewardship/stockmanship. Nuff said.
that's what they have slaughter pens for...they would be split at the yard and sold separately..
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:23 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:I'd hate to lay it on hardware without knowing .you ever pulled blood on one?

Yes, previously but not with this one. Didn't want to take her in when she was already heat stressed but I went in, talked to the vet, showed him pics of her decline. He's very familiar with our herd & didn't want to rule out pneumonia (hence the Resflor Gold) but immediately thought it was hardware. Lymphoma is a possibility but no swollen lymph nodes or bulging eyes & her symptoms don't add up. Anaplasmosis was a thought but her eyes are clear, her vulva & gums are nice & pink. Still no drooling, coughing, watery/crusty eyes, snotty nose, poop looks relatively normal but a little too hard for this time of year. We don't have fescue, cherry trees, mint, clover, oak trees in any pasture. The only toxic forage (that I know of) is potentially johnsongrass but if that were the case the entire herd would be dead & the blue green algae in the lake has cleared.
Any other suggestions?
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:30 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
76 Bar wrote::frowns: So sorry you're continuing to struggle to resolve the issues with your cow. Most would have given up long ago. Admire your perserverence to resolve her issue(s) and restore her health.

that's what they have slaughter pens for...they would be split at the yard and sold separately..

Absolutely. One look and they would know but for what it's worth, I always tell them if a cow is strictly slaughter (hardware, mastitis, perpetual foot issues or just plain evil). They don't even bring them into the ring together.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:31 pm

Thank you!
0 x

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:46 pm

You're welcome TC. IMO, far too many producers are driven by a commodity mentality. That you've gone the extra mile in what is likely is a no win situation is admirable. :tiphat:
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:43 pm

R.I.P. sweet girl. At least her calf is doing great. Waits for me at the cattle guard by the barnyard every morning for cubes. There's always another cow with her & then they take her back to the herd (after they score some goodies themselves). They just know - and they're taking care of her.
1 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:55 pm

that's too bad.. good to hear the calf is alright though
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:17 am

Nesikep wrote:that's too bad.. good to hear the calf is alright though

Thanks, Nesi. It's never easy.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:51 am

Sorry you lost her.
1 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:44 am

TCRanch wrote:
Nesikep wrote:that's too bad.. good to hear the calf is alright though

Thanks, Nesi. It's never easy.

Mother of my bull was one of those strange cases.. I think she had a stroke.. disoriented, vet checked her out and didn't find anything wrong, blood work was perfect. It sucked.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:02 pm

Nesi, I'm fairly certain it was hardware. Notice the sagging under her jaw. Obviously can't tell from the pic but her front legs started swelling, her brisket did get a little bigger, her temp never went over 102 this past week. She would lay flat, not on her side, because it was easier for her to breathe. Amazingly she was lagging but kept up with the herd & still had a good appetite. But yesterday morning she was curled up, at first I thought she was asleep. At least she looked peaceful. And yes, it sucks, especially when I take precautions but clearly there are no guarantees.
1 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:40 pm

TCRanch wrote:Nesi, I'm fairly certain it was hardware. Notice the sagging under her jaw. Obviously can't tell from the pic but her front legs started swelling, her brisket did get a little bigger, her temp never went over 102 this past week. She would lay flat, not on her side, because it was easier for her to breathe. Amazingly she was lagging but kept up with the herd & still had a good appetite. But yesterday morning she was curled up, at first I thought she was asleep. At least she looked peaceful. And yes, it sucks, especially when I take precautions but clearly there are no guarantees.

TC, sorry you lost her. I find it especially irritating, since you go to the trouble of getting a magnet in them and pick up all the bits & pieces you see. But, as you say, there are no guarantees. You've certainly done your 'due diligence'. I'm glad to hear the calf is doing well, and has a few nanny-cows to hang around with.
2 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:53 pm

How does hardware kill? Does the object move into the organs over time?
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”