JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Anthrax in herd in SD

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:04 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Mike - blackleg is of the genus Clostridium. They are also sore forming bacteria like anthrax. Very hardy organisms. Your vet is correct.

It was eye opening for a bunch of us local village idiots that thought blackleg was no longer a threat. We got complacent in the fact that we hadn’t seen any locally in many many years. I WILL be vaccinating for it from now on. It’s a no brainer. Only cost around a $1 a dose.

Should be spore not sore. Lol. Yes. The Clostridial 7 way , 8 way. However many ways means that the vaccine covers 7 species or 8 species, all of the genus Clostridium. They are everywhere in the environment, world wide. My dad basically died from Clostridium difficile. He was on antibiotics for a prostate infection. The antibiotics depressed his intestinal flora and the difficile took over. He was 92 and essentially starved to death.

That’s awful. 92 years was a good run but you’re never ready for it to be over. At least I wouldn’t think so. But that’s a bad way to go IMO.
1 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Anthrax in herd in SD

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:07 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
It was eye opening for a bunch of us local village idiots that thought blackleg was no longer a threat. We got complacent in the fact that we hadn’t seen any locally in many many years. I WILL be vaccinating for it from now on. It’s a no brainer. Only cost around a $1 a dose.

Should be spore not sore. Lol. Yes. The Clostridial 7 way , 8 way. However many ways means that the vaccine covers 7 species or 8 species, all of the genus Clostridium. They are everywhere in the environment, world wide. My dad basically died from Clostridium difficile. He was on antibiotics for a prostate infection. The antibiotics depressed his intestinal flora and the difficile took over. He was 92 and essentially starved to death.

That’s awful. 92 years was a good run but you’re never ready for it to be over. At least I wouldn’t think so. But that’s a bad way to go IMO.

It was awful. Hard to watch. They isolated him in the nursing home to avoid exposure. He couldn't eat. His heart was strong. It just didn't want to stop. Hope I never see that again.
2 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Return to “Health & Nutrition”