Please tell me about Anaplasmosis?

Cattle problems.
Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Re: Please tell me about Anaplasmosis?

Postby Lucky_P » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:25 pm

Commercial herd here; most cows in the herd are a 2- or 3-breed cross. Only registered animal is the walking bull.
I'd like to think that my females are of good genetic quality, but still, they're just commercial cattle. Nonetheless, it's worth the time and expense to change needles; even with 80 cows and their calves.

Lymphosarcoma, a malignant cancer of the lymphoid system, associated with Bovine Leukosis virus(BLV) infection was hitting our herd hard, as a result of me (and I knew better!) spreading the infection to the point that 40 of 44 adult cows were infected, back in 2007 - mostly because I reused needles until they got so dull that I couldn't poke them through the skin again. We were averaging 2 cows/year lost to lymphosarcoma.
Since that time, all 'clean' females and any heifer, even if born to a BLV+ dam, has only been injected with their own sterile needle.
Is it more time-consuming? Yeah, a little bit so, but not a huge hassle.
Expense is minimal; needles are cheap. In the long run, way cheaper than losing a cow to lymphosarcoma
2 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Please tell me about Anaplasmosis?

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Lucky_P wrote:Commercial herd here; most cows in the herd are a 2- or 3-breed cross. Only registered animal is the walking bull.
I'd like to think that my females are of good genetic quality, but still, they're just commercial cattle. Nonetheless, it's worth the time and expense to change needles; even with 80 cows and their calves.

Lymphosarcoma, a malignant cancer of the lymphoid system, associated with Bovine Leukosis virus(BLV) infection was hitting our herd hard, as a result of me (and I knew better!) spreading the infection to the point that 40 of 44 adult cows were infected, back in 2007 - mostly because I reused needles until they got so dull that I couldn't poke them through the skin again. We were averaging 2 cows/year lost to lymphosarcoma.
Since that time, all 'clean' females and any heifer, even if born to a BLV+ dam, has only been injected with their own sterile needle.
Is it more time-consuming? Yeah, a little bit so, but not a huge hassle.
Expense is minimal; needles are cheap. In the long run, way cheaper than losing a cow to lymphosarcoma

Lucky P, you're one of the reasons I switched to disposable 3 years ago after our first Lymphosarcoma. Never recommended by my vet until after the fact & most people around here reuse needles with a repeater syringe until they're dull. Our 2nd was case last year and she was only 6 years old so I'm assuming she had been infected for a long time before her symptoms appeared. Losing cows is an expensive and painful lesson. My herd is also commercial (except for the bulls) but for me it's absolutely worth it.
1 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”