Heifer With Pneumonia

Cattle problems.
kucala5
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Heifer With Pneumonia

Postby kucala5 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:34 pm

Heifer has pneumonia for about 3 weeks now, she's got a 4 month old calf on her, body condition is pretty poor. She got 3 shots of Nuflor as directed by the vet I'd say 2 weeks ago. She was on the mend after the shots, no discharge, breathing much better. We just checked the cows and she is bleeding from her nose with labored breathing again. Not a bloody discharge, bleeding. Suggestions?
0 x
Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
Abraham Lincoln

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Heifer With Pneumonia

Postby M-5 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:36 pm

Not what you want to hear but you have more in her that what she is worth. She sounds chronic and most likely won't make it on her own. I would put her out of her misery.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:39 pm

Just a reminder: Nuflor is an antibiotic. There are bacterial organisms that cause BRD (Bovine Respiratory disease). An antibiotic might work for them but it will not be effective for viral respiratory diseases. If the pneumonia is viral, the antibiotic will not be the cure.
1 x
Make America Happy Again

kucala5
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kucala5 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:43 pm

That's what I was afraid of. Where did we go wrong? We really strive to be good stewards so losing one due to our actions or lack there of is difficult.
0 x
Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
Abraham Lincoln

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:50 pm

I reread your post and my comprehending was it was the calf. With heifer I might try another round. Pull the calf and take some pressure off of her. Sorry , it's been a long day.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:52 pm

Be sure you are vaccinating for viral pneumonia. BECAUSE ANTIBIOTICS DON'T WORK ON VIRUSES. The main viral causes of pneumonia in cattle include Infectious Bovine Rhinotracheitis (IBR), Parainfluenza 3 (PI3), Bovine Respiratory Syncyntial Virus (BRSV) and Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus (BVD). There are numerous vaccines that cover this combination. Personally, I use Bovi Shield Gold FP 5 VL5. That covers vibrio and lepto in addition to IBR, PI3, BRSV AND BVD.

Warning: that is a MLV - modified live virus preparation. Mind the instructions and don't administer to cows not previously exposed if that are with calf.
3 x
Make America Happy Again

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:14 pm

kucala5 wrote:Heifer has pneumonia for about 3 weeks now, she's got a 4 month old calf on her, body condition is pretty poor. She got 3 shots of Nuflor as directed by the vet I'd say 2 weeks ago. She was on the mend after the shots, no discharge, breathing much better. We just checked the cows and she is bleeding from her nose with labored breathing again. Not a bloody discharge, bleeding. Suggestions?

Here's a good one to hit her with...https://youtu.be/RTv9e9XCqnk
2 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Hook2.0
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hook2.0 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:55 pm

Yep. I’ll attest to resflor gold also
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:06 am

Hook2.0 wrote:Yep. I’ll attest to resflor gold also

Agree. Has Banamine in it. Only drawback IMO is the consistency - it's thick. I use a 16 x 3/4 needle and warm it up in the winter.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:39 am

Resflor Gold is florfenicol and flunixin meglumine (banamine). It is an antibacterial and the flunixin meglumine is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. According to the Merch Vet Manual, it targets the bacteria Mannheimia haemolytica, Pasteurella multocida, Histophilus somni, and Mycoplasma bovis. Those are the primary bacteria that cause Bacterial Bovine Respiratory Pneumonia. The difference between Resflor Gold and Nuflor is that Resflor Gold contains the banamine. They both are florfenicol.

Just be aware, resflor gold will not treat viral pneumonia.
1 x
Make America Happy Again

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:55 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Hook2.0 wrote:Yep. I’ll attest to resflor gold also

Agree. Has Banamine in it. Only drawback IMO is the consistency - it's thick. I use a 16 x 3/4 needle and warm it up in the winter.
burns em too when injecting..gotta go slow..
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Hook2.0
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hook2.0 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:34 pm

That’s why it’s thick
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”