STUPID STUPID CALVES

Cattle problems.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

STUPID STUPID CALVES

Postby Nesikep » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:00 pm

They really do try and find new ways to die, don't they..
Caught this one before he was successful.. got stuck in a saskatoon bush, didn't have my camera at the time, so I outlined his position, the log in red was over top of his neck

I've given him 2 quarts of electrolytes and 2 quarts of water, his eyelids are a little puffy, going to give him some banamine too.. maybe the needle will be the prod he needs to get up as a bonus

I'm really feeling this right now
7 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: STUPID STUPID CALVES

Postby 76 Bar » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:50 pm

looking for a little shade can quickly become deadly. Trust you got my play on words. Hope the little bugger outlives his stupidity.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:36 pm

Sorry they are crazy hope you get it back to good health soon
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby sstterry » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:43 pm

Nesikep,
Did you ever enter one of the drawing contests they had on matchbook covers? :tiphat:
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Good save, Nesi! Poor, stupid steer. Hope he's good to go, let us know!
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:04 pm

sstterry wrote:Nesikep,
Did you ever enter one of the drawing contests they had on matchbook covers? :tiphat:

That's as good as you're going to get from me! If you want drafting, I can do that just fine

TCRanch wrote:Good save, Nesi! Poor, stupid steer. Hope he's good to go, let us know!

He's not out of the woods yet, he got 7 quarts of water, I did get him standing but he doesn't want to walk, I pushed him half way up the hill.. Got 4cc Banamine, wondering if Dex ought to be on the menu for him as well..
Hasn't nursed, I gave him a few big handfuls of fresh alfalfa, he's munch on it if I put it in his mouth

When I went down to check on him the 2nd time, Hector was standing guard over him and bellered at me.. He was actually chewing cud at one point

He's still really out of it, looks like a shot of espresso would be good for him.. he's got no cuts or anything, I'd suspect some knotted up muscles and bruising though..
0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:26 pm

X2 on the Dex Nesikep. I know it won’t cure everything but I’ve always been a big fan of Dex. He ain’t pregnant so I don’t see any reason not to juice him up.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:32 pm

Oh good Lord! They really are so stupid sometimes! I'm glad you came upon him before it was too late. He'll probably "snap out of it" within a couple of days. Very nice of Hector to watch over him.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:39 pm

Shot of vitamin B12. As you said, looks like he could use an espresso.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:01 pm

DEX and b12, and keep it up
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:34 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:Oh good Lord! They really are so stupid sometimes! I'm glad you came upon him before it was too late. He'll probably "snap out of it" within a couple of days. Very nice of Hector to watch over him.

When Hector was at my friends place he really watched over sick animals there too.. he'd put a pounding on a predator by the look he gets.. Here's a video, and you hear him grunting at me
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WNy33Nw4XfqE3Qqz7

I got him up into the field, it was very slow progress.. he's standing, but not really walking, he'll take a step here and there, so it was a whole lot of pushing
He's had about 2-3 gallons of water over the day, and I milked his mother for about 1 1/2 quarts and gave that to him too.
He'll eat alfalfa if I put it in his mouth, he's pooping and peeing at least
He got 4cc Banamine, I don't know if that's the cause, but he looks stoned out of his mind
0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Putangitangi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:06 pm

Do you think he could have had some sort of seizure that helped him get into the stupid position? That might explain his state since rescue. I once found a much younger calf in a ridiculous place and it transpired that was what was wrong with him, so he'd got stuck in a corner he should never have found.

Here's a picture like yours I drew for my news page in 2004, when I didn't have my camera with me one day and had to act quickly:
Image :D
0 x

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:38 pm

Putangitangi wrote:Do you think he could have had some sort of seizure that helped him get into the stupid position? That might explain his state since rescue. I once found a much younger calf in a ridiculous place and it transpired that was what was wrong with him, so he'd got stuck in a corner he should never have found.

Here's a picture like yours I drew for my news page in 2004, when I didn't have my camera with me one day and had to act quickly:
I think he was stoned before and that's how he got in that position :lol:
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:09 am

Putangitangi wrote:Do you think he could have had some sort of seizure that helped him get into the stupid position? That might explain his state since rescue. I once found a much younger calf in a ridiculous place and it transpired that was what was wrong with him, so he'd got stuck in a corner he should never have found.

I really kinda doubt it was a seizure first.. just a trainwreck of bad luck and poor decisions!
1 x
-Christopher Hitchens

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:08 am

any chance the tree or position cut off his breathing some and he suffered some anoxia? looks a little dain-bramaged...hope not.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”