Absess?

Cattle problems.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Absess?

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:05 am

My bottle has this thing on his jaw it's not extremely soft and not hard as a rock either. anyone have a calf with something like this?

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Absess?

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:07 am

It does look like an abscess. Did it appear quickly?
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:19 am

not uncommon with bottle calves . I have had a few over the years, If you drain it , it will be a rank thick creamy pus. Most of the time they will just rupture and go away on their own .
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:25 am

Bright Raven wrote:It does look like an abscess. Did it appear quickly?

Last 2 weeks it got big
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:27 am

M-5 wrote:not uncommon with bottle calves . I have had a few over the years, If you drain it , it will be a rank thick creamy pus. Most of the time they will just rupture and go away on their own .

Thanks never had that before I guess I'll leave it alone. " Benign neglect " definitely not affecting bottle drinking
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:46 am

Poke around and look for a soft spot in it, take a scalpel and slice there. squeeze some out and rinse with iodine and then give calf a shot of antibiotics. Clears up quite quickly then. Left untreated it can grow the infection and be painful until it burst thru on its own.

Happens from chewing on stemmy stuff and sticking themselves.
1 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:00 am

Supa Dexta wrote:Poke around and look for a soft spot in it, take a scalpel and slice there. squeeze some out and rinse with iodine and then give calf a shot of antibiotics. Clears up quite quickly then. Left untreated it can grow the infection and be painful until it burst thru on its own.

Happens from chewing on stemmy stuff and sticking themselves.

Thanks its been on a bottle never chewed anything at all she is the slowest bottle calf i had to eat calf starter
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:03 am

It must have chewed on something. Because it got something stuck in its mouth to cause that.

Oh yeah and it helps to wear latex gloves when cutting it open, that stuff stinks to get on your hands.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:33 am

Supa Dexta wrote:It must have chewed on something. Because it got something stuck in its mouth to cause that.

Oh yeah and it helps to wear latex gloves when cutting it open, that stuff stinks to get on your hands.

No really it hasn't chewed on anything there's nothing to chew on except a bottle nipple I have had him in a controlled environment where there's nothing at all it can chew on or get poked with so I gotta say your wrong about that.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:24 am

I had one just like that on a bottle calf a few years ago. Ruptured on its own, I'd occasionally squeeze the pus out of it & packed Neosporin inside the wound. Healed beautifully, still have her & can't even feel a lump/scar.
1 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:44 am

I'm about as far from being able to reason why this happens as I am from walking on the moon. I have seen it quite a few times only with bottle calves . Every one i have seen comes from a calf that has has a rough start and weak immune system,.
3 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:16 pm

Supa Dexta's advice is spot on. The only thing I'd add is make an ample incision to facilitate drainage and continue to flush with iodine for several days to ensure it doesn't prematurely seal over. Doesn't matter what caused the abscess. I've experienced it with calves on cows. Calf will be much happier/healthier if you intervene rather than letting the process run its course.
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:08 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Supa Dexta wrote:It must have chewed on something. Because it got something stuck in its mouth to cause that.

No really it hasn't chewed on anything there's nothing to chew on except a bottle nipple I have had him in a controlled environment where there's nothing at all it can chew on or get poked with so I gotta say your wrong about that.
cattle in a controlled environment?like to see that :D
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:45 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:cattle in a controlled environment? like to see that :D

IF you've ever been in a Veal calf barn you'll see an environment as controlled as it comes.
1 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:51 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

cattle in a controlled environment?like to see that :D

She was in one of my dog kennels with a calf hut concrete floor and chain link fence that is all that is what i call a controlled environment the only time she was outside of that was when i let her out and fed her walked her around on her leash then back in the kennel imo that is pretty controlled
1 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”