Absess?

Cattle problems.
elkwc
GURU
GURU

Re: Absess?

Postby elkwc » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:34 pm

I've just took a large IV needle and drained them. If I make an incision it is a small one. Have had a few and they all healed fine.
Last edited by elkwc on Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:41 pm

I suspect it is an abscess but there is also the possibilty of it being a salivary cyst.

Ken
2 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:40 am

Have used needles before also - but with how thick the stuff is inside, I switched to a scalpel and small slice.

I seem to get a couple every spring now for some reason. I see them chewing on straw and balage, but thats not new. Running a lot more black cattle now, maybe they have weaker mouths who knows.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:46 am

Supa Dexta wrote:Have used needles before also - but with how thick the stuff is inside, I switched to a scalpel and small slice.

I seem to get a couple every spring now for some reason. I see them chewing on straw and balage, but thats not new. Running a lot more black cattle now, maybe they have weaker mouths who knows.

Needle will not work , Its the consistency of cake icing.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:40 am

M-5 wrote:I'm about as far from being able to reason why this happens as I am from walking on the moon. I have seen it quite a few times only with bottle calves . Every one i have seen comes from a calf that has has a rough start and weak immune system,.

yes. Immune system seems to be the contributing factor. If it were a human, the dentist would put them on antibiotics. So that is what I do when one is treated. No need to wait for it to get bigger and bigger and rupture on its own. Lance it, drain it, treat it. It is hard to keep a drain tube in those until the antibiotics kick in. I have had success once.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:06 pm

M-5 wrote:
Supa Dexta wrote:Have used needles before also - but with how thick the stuff is inside, I switched to a scalpel and small slice.

Needle will not work , Its the consistency of cake icing.

The large needles will work. It is how the vet I worked for taught me. It is hard to find the large needle anymore. We always verified if there was puss first and then depending on what we found and the size either drained it or made a small incision. I’ve used the large needle on many and never had it not work.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:07 am

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:24 am

I would go for a bigger slash Sky though can be hard to go back with the pressure released, something the size that you can get a garden hose up there to give it a good wash out. You won't need any antibiotics then.

Ken
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:42 am

Bet that stinks to high heaven! I usually flush using a 50cc syringe (no needle) with diluted iodine.
1 x

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:40 am

The ropey, "cake icing" consistency of the pus is why I make a generous initial opening. Facilitates drainage and 3-4 days of irrigation with a "weak tea" colored solution of Betadine (or equivalent) using a 30-50 cc catheter syringe. FWIW, an old time very savvy vet advised years ago against using systematic antibiotics with a run of the mill abscess. When I asked about packing the drainage area with a topical after flushing, he laughed and said sure, if it makes you feel better. Point taken. :)
1 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:34 pm

We had a bull with a huge knot on his head and one in his flank, both were abscesses when we were gettin him up he took another hit in the flank by another bull. That sucker ruptured no words for quite how nasty, consistentency of cottage cheese. That nasty stuff went flying and good gravy stunk to high heaven. Gave me another reason to hate working with bulls.

Gizmom
2 x
Respect give it to get it!

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:03 am

wbvs58 wrote:I would go for a bigger slash Sky though can be hard to go back with the pressure released, something the size that you can get a garden hose up there to give it a good wash out. You won't need any antibiotics then.

Ken

when I first lanced it it was just blood so I didn't want to make a huge hole incase that wasn't what it was
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:04 am

TCRanch wrote:Bet that stinks to high heaven! I usually flush using a 50cc syringe (no needle) with diluted iodine.

Luckily my nose is stopped up most of the time in the summer :lol:
1 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:05 am

76 Bar wrote:The ropey, "cake icing" consistency of the pus is why I make a generous initial opening. Facilitates drainage and 3-4 days of irrigation with a "weak tea" colored solution of Betadine (or equivalent) using a 30-50 cc catheter syringe. FWIW, an old time very savvy vet advised years ago against using systematic antibiotics with a run of the mill abscess. When I asked about packing the drainage area with a topical after flushing, he laughed and said sure, if it makes you feel better. Point taken. :)

I wouldn't want to eat any lemon iced cake anytime soon
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:51 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:I would go for a bigger slash Sky though can be hard to go back with the pressure released, something the size that you can get a garden hose up there to give it a good wash out. You won't need any antibiotics then.

Ken

when I first lanced it it was just blood so I didn't want to make a huge hole incase that wasn't what it was

Well anyway the pus found its way out through the weak point in the skin. You just didn't go deep enough but you have to be a bit gutsy to keep on cutting not knowing what you are really cutting. When draining an abscess like that I will cut through the skin then use a pair of sharp pointed scissors and blunt dissect, that is push forward as I open them up tearing away tissue over the top of the abscess capsule then you feel a pop as they drop into the cavity then open them up and pull them out tearing a bigger hole in it that you can get back into it with a hose or your method of choice for irrigation. With a good abscess just effecting drainage will be enough for it to heal up as the body sort of everts the abscess capsule expelling the contents in the healing process.

Blunt dissecting tends to push away any structures that might be there rather than straight out cutting with a sharp instrument.

Ken
1 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”