Cow Down

Cattle problems.
User avatar
BK9954
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1368
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Location: Central Texas

Cow Down

Postby BK9954 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:10 am

Heavy bred cow down but eating and drinking a little day and a half ago (in the evening) Neighbor said it was probably the baby positioned restricting the cow from getting up. I sent pictures to the doc and he had me come by and pick up the 4 of the calcium gel tubes, like the one at TSC but it had double the calcium per tube for milk fever. With the price of cattle I didn't want to pay $350 house call for an IV . I gave her one yesterday at 1pm, then one at 10 pm last night, he told me 1 more this morning and 1 more tonight. This morning she was up eating hay with the rest of them. Had anyone seen a cow recover this quick with the calcium gel? Seemed pretty quick to me.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13358
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Cow Down

Postby Nesikep » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:55 am

I know that milk fever gets cured real quick from an IV.. I'd expect it to be a little slower ingested, but that sounds about right.. good that she's up again
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5030
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Cow Down

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:07 pm

2 tubes left over.... I'd give her one of them right after calving.
4 x

User avatar
BK9954
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1368
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Cow Down

Postby BK9954 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:11 pm

Son of Butch wrote:2 tubes left over.... I'd give her one of them right after calving.

I gave her one more this morning I guess I can save the last one for after calving
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 934
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:42 pm
Location: west MI

Re: Cow Down

Postby ez14. » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:39 pm

Never used the gel but their usually up in about an hour after a bolus. An IV takes just a few minutes and their up
0 x

Dempster
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Re: Cow Down

Postby Dempster » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:45 pm

You need to find a different neighbor to get medical advice from.
0 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:11 am
Location: TX

Re: Cow Down

Postby Lucky » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:10 am

Dempster wrote:You need to find a different neighbor to get medical advice from.


Tell me more. I’ve never had much luck getting a downer up.
0 x

User avatar
backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy
Posts: 14663
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Cow Down

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:29 am

BK9954 wrote: Had anyone seen a cow recover this quick with the calcium gel? Seemed pretty quick to me.


Yes. Many times. A vet had given up on one that was down for over a week. The owner gave me the cow. I think he knew I had a backhoe and he didn't want to pay disposal. The vet had been giving her an IV every day. I gave her two tubes of CMPK before I pulled her in the trailer. Treated her knees when I got her home because she had rubbed them raw. I had her on her feet by the next day. Owner didn't believe it and had to come take a look. I wound up buying her.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29539
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Cow Down

Postby TexasBred » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:18 pm

BK9954 wrote:Heavy bred cow down but eating and drinking a little day and a half ago (in the evening) Neighbor said it was probably the baby positioned restricting the cow from getting up. I sent pictures to the doc and he had me come by and pick up the 4 of the calcium gel tubes, like the one at TSC but it had double the calcium per tube for milk fever. With the price of cattle I didn't want to pay $350 house call for an IV . I gave her one yesterday at 1pm, then one at 10 pm last night, he told me 1 more this morning and 1 more tonight. This morning she was up eating hay with the rest of them. Had anyone seen a cow recover this quick with the calcium gel? Seemed pretty quick to me.

If you could have administered and IV she would probably been up in 5-10 minutes and required only one treatment.
3 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29539
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Cow Down

Postby TexasBred » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:21 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:
BK9954 wrote: Had anyone seen a cow recover this quick with the calcium gel? Seemed pretty quick to me.


Yes. Many times. A vet had given up on one that was down for over a week. The owner gave me the cow. I think he knew I had a backhoe and he didn't want to pay disposal. The vet had been giving her an IV every day. I gave her two tubes of CMPK before I pulled her in the trailer. Treated her knees when I got her home because she had rubbed them raw. I had her on her feet by the next day. Owner didn't believe it and had to come take a look. I wound up buying her.

This is one we might could throw the :bs: flag on. Vet was most likely giving CMPK via IV and should have got same results as you and a day earlier. Then again he may have only given her a dextrose solution.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy
Posts: 14663
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Cow Down

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:28 pm

TexasBred wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:
BK9954 wrote: Had anyone seen a cow recover this quick with the calcium gel? Seemed pretty quick to me.


Yes. Many times. A vet had given up on one that was down for over a week. The owner gave me the cow. I think he knew I had a backhoe and he didn't want to pay disposal. The vet had been giving her an IV every day. I gave her two tubes of CMPK before I pulled her in the trailer. Treated her knees when I got her home because she had rubbed them raw. I had her on her feet by the next day. Owner didn't believe it and had to come take a look. I wound up buying her.

This is one we might could throw the :bs: flag on. Vet was most likely giving CMPK via IV and should have got same results as you and a day earlier. Then again he may have only given her a dextrose solution.


Why just throw one flag ? Throw a couple of dozen. It doesn't matter. I am answering BK9954.

Talk to Doc Kinnard out of Mabank, TX. He's the vet who taught me this.

The owner was a probation officer out of Granbury. He spent money for the cow. Then spent a fortune with the vet. Then GAVE the cow to me. His wife pitched a hissy when she found out. So I told him I had X dollars and my time invested and he was welcome to take her back. Then he felt bad and offered to sell her at a low price. Both front knee joints were raw. She wasn't worth much at the sale barn. So I wound up buying her. I could give you his name as well if I knew it was okay.
1 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

User avatar
backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy
Posts: 14663
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Cow Down

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:37 pm

How do I flag a post ? I want to give Mod 2 the man's name and confirmation. I have had my gut full of TB.

Macon? Can you help me out here ? I've got the guy's name and phone number !! PM me please.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7223
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Cow Down

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:49 pm

Chill out, life's good.
2 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy
Posts: 14663
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Cow Down

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:51 pm

BK9954 wrote:Heavy bred cow down but eating and drinking a little day and a half ago (in the evening) Neighbor said it was probably the baby positioned restricting the cow from getting up. I sent pictures to the doc and he had me come by and pick up the 4 of the calcium gel tubes, like the one at TSC but it had double the calcium per tube for milk fever. With the price of cattle I didn't want to pay $350 house call for an IV . I gave her one yesterday at 1pm, then one at 10 pm last night, he told me 1 more this morning and 1 more tonight. This morning she was up eating hay with the rest of them. Had anyone seen a cow recover this quick with the calcium gel? Seemed pretty quick to me.


Back to your post BK. Yes.

Consult with Doc Kinnard out of Mabank, TX He was head of TX Vet association at one time. May still be. He's an old Aggie but don't hold that against him. He's a great guy. Knows cattle. Been working cows all his life. Works a lot of sale barns too.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9147
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Cow Down

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:54 pm

Cows getting milk fever and getting up after calcium happens all the time on a dairy farm. It is rare that a beef cow gets milk fever - but not unheard of. IV calcium: cow gets up in minutes.
2 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests