Range Meal vs cubes

Cattle problems.
BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Re: Range Meal vs cubes

Postby BRYANT » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:32 pm

TexasBred wrote:Just my preference but if you have trough space and time, I'd feed whole cottonseed. More bang for your dollar, should see a bit of an increase in milk production and I think you're cattle will come through winter looking a little better. Do not be tempted to overfeed them but feed at recommended rate. At that rate the bull shouldn't be harmed either. They may look at your like you're crazy the first time you throw whole cottonseed in the trough but they'll adapt.

I know I am kind of late on this , but been out of town
is the whole cottonseed something you feed every day or is there a way to put it out and regulate it with salt. If I was able to check my cows every day I would do things different but it makes it kind of hard having to drive right at 50 miles to check them.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:55 pm

0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:03 am

BRYANT wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Just my preference but if you have trough space and time, I'd feed whole cottonseed. More bang for your dollar, should see a bit of an increase in milk production and I think you're cattle will come through winter looking a little better. Do not be tempted to overfeed them but feed at recommended rate. At that rate the bull shouldn't be harmed either. They may look at your like you're crazy the first time you throw whole cottonseed in the trough but they'll adapt.

is the whole cottonseed something you feed every day or is there a way to put it out and regulate it with salt. If I was able to check my cows every day I would do things different but it makes it kind of hard having to drive right at 50 miles to check them.

I personally feed WCS every other or every third day. Unless we have a hard cold spell and then I feed it every day for a few days.

I feed 4-5 pounds per head per day. A five gallon bucket of WCS weighs 16 pounds. A repurposed protein tub full weighs right at 80lbs. Some older cattlemen I know pour it out bulk in old tires. They say the cows will only eat what they need. I can’t argue this bc it works for them and they all say they’ve never lost a cow. I’ve always been scared of feeding it bulk bc of gossypol poisoning.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:25 pm

BRYANT wrote:

Most folks will feed every day or every other day....in your situation range meal might be the better thing for those cows a long way from home.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Health & Nutrition”