pics of cow problems and other stuff -- for the newbies

Cattle problems.
jersey lilly
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jersey lilly » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:52 am

Thought those of you that are new at this might like photos of a cow birthin a baby. I caught this one last year, start to finish. Took all of about 30 minutes.

Just gettin started when I pulled up.

Walkin and doin circles.

Lay down, get up, lay back down. I see one foot.

Crossed the slough, I see two feet!!

there's a head.....

Here we go

Almost there

Whewww.....made it

First bath

Uhg....I just got here mom, I can't be that dirty.

Taste Test.

First Nap
0 x
A good rain and a baby calf are always welcome here.

mariner3302
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mariner3302 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:17 pm

That is an awesome series of birthing! Thanks!
0 x

randiliana
GURU
GURU

Re: pics of cow problems and other stuff -- for the newbies

Postby randiliana » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:58 pm

This one shows the swelling of the face and tongue of a calf after a LONG hard birth. You don't want to see this, but it will go down within a day or so. The biggest thing is that with the swollen tongue they have difficulty sucking. This guy will require a bit of TLC, but I think he will be fine.

0 x
“The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense.” Thomas A. Edisonl

Randi

My Blog
http://easygenes.blogspot.com/

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:22 pm

randi, this is a really good link. it may even be deserving of its own sticky?

http://kinne.net/ob4.htm
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

randiliana
GURU
GURU

Postby randiliana » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:33 pm

Beefy wrote:randi, this is a really good link. it may even be deserving of its own sticky?

http://kinne.net/ob4.htm

haha, I just posted it over on the Breeding/Calving Issues board. Once I got going through it I thought the same thing :D . Great minds think alike ;-)
0 x
“The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense.” Thomas A. Edisonl

Randi

My Blog

randiliana
GURU
GURU

Postby randiliana » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:46 pm

Here are some more pics

Contracted tendons on the front legs

Blind eye due to an old pinkeye infection. She has been like this for about 8 years. Doesn't affect her much, other than the one time she got pinkeye in the other eye. Made it difficult to get her home!! You also have to make sure she knows where you are.

Old, dried up lump, not one to worry about

Extra teats. The middle one is the extra.

A good udder on a heifer

A case of pinkeye that we caught early. You can barely see the cloudiness. She also has a case of ringworm
0 x

Randi

My Blog

Double R Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Double R Ranch » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:08 pm

Thanks MM. This truly is a great post. Thanks to all the others who keep posting pics. This is a great place for begginners to learn. They say a picture is worth a thousand words and in this case that statement couldn't be truer! Thanks for posting this. Hope it helps a lot of people. If I get anything interesting/educational on film I will be sure to post it here!
Double R
0 x

katscars
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby katscars » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:06 am

hi, thanks for the pics! they r very useful. I think my calf has a ill joint. it is swollen and sore to the touch. how do I treat it? Apart from the swelling he otherwise seems happy and healthy. Culling is not an option as he is so tame like a puppy. the kids want to keep him to rid on.
Thanks Kata
0 x
Hobby Farming in southern NSW, Australia

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:22 am

katscars wrote:hi, thanks for the pics! they r very useful. I think my calf has a ill joint. it is swollen and sore to the touch. how do I treat it? Apart from the swelling he otherwise seems happy and healthy. Culling is not an option as he is so tame like a puppy. the kids want to keep him to rid on.
Thanks Kata

High doses of penn for a long period of time. Do a search for navel ill or joint ill. Better yet, talk to your vet.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

bambi_boy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby bambi_boy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:01 pm

I KNOW this sounds sick - but does anyone have a picture of what "scours" look like? Begining stages & worst case.
0 x

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:36 pm

i'll see what i can do.
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

Alice
Deja Moo
Deja Moo

Postby Alice » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:11 pm

bambi_boy wrote:I KNOW this sounds sick - but does anyone have a picture of what "scours" look like? Begining stages & worst case.

Don't have pictures, but I always considered anything runny or watery or even loose to be scours. AND, at that point the electrolytes started.

Once scours hits the ground, sometimes it can be so watery that it looks like where the calf peed, and the scours shoot out with such force that they don't hit the tail or the legs. But usually, scours are watery yellow, or watery white, or watery green, or watery brown. I've read articles that discount the color as being important and articles that base the kind of scours and the treatment on the color.

Big thing with scours is to remember...scours don't kill the calf...dehydration from the scours kills the calf. The calf has to stay hydrated and nourished throughout the whole scours ordeal. AND, the calf has to be watched closely for signs of respiratory ills. That's why I always gave antibiotics with scours. As many calves as I was raising, I didn't have the time or luxury of running stool samples to the vet. If you have only one or two, then it might be advantageous to take a stool sample to the vet and ask the vet for the proper treatment. BUT, before you do that, get electrolytes into the calf.

Hope this helps a little. Probably a lot more info than what you wanted or needed... :oops:

Alice
0 x
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

bambi_boy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby bambi_boy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:21 pm

Because the first calf that we were supposed to get (but didn't) died due to scours, I watch his poop & even his pee, as concentrated urine usually means a sign of dehydration, like a hawk. Because I have yet to see him drink water, I offer water in his bottle 2x a day with a small amount of electrolytes in it.

Don't know if I am doing right, but I feel like I should.
0 x

Alice
Deja Moo
Deja Moo

Postby Alice » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:27 pm

bambi_boy wrote:Because the first calf that we were supposed to get (but didn't) died due to scours, I watch his poop & even his pee, as concentrated urine usually means a sign of dehydration, like a hawk. Because I have yet to see him drink water, I offer water in his bottle 2x a day with a small amount of electrolytes in it.

Don't know if I am doing right, but I feel like I should.

Sounds like a plan. I read somewhere that overdoing with the electrolytes when a calf wasn't scouring or dehydrated was dangerous...don't know if that still holds true. However, a small amount in it's water...I can't think that would hurt a thing. And if it makes you and the calf feel better, hey...been there, done that, and not one bit ashamed to admit it.

Alice
0 x
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

bambi_boy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby bambi_boy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:15 pm

Been putting one tablespoon of the powder per 2 pints of water... is that ok - or should I do just water?
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”