antibiotics and other drugs - for newbies *updated 11/26/14*

Cattle problems.
dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Antibiotics and other drugs - for newbies

Postby dun » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:01 am

rocky61 wrote:I gave my weaned calves a shot of la 300 subque in the neck and 4 of them have swolen up real bad anyone know how long it will take to go down or what i should do

Could take a couple of weeks, might never go completely away. One of the drawbacks of the LAs
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

fargus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby fargus » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:39 pm

Formulation matters. I pay more to get Biomycin instead of using Oxy LA because it is easier on baby calves. As often as not they are reacting to the carrier, not the drug itself.
0 x
If it ain't a cur, it's just fur.

Hybrid vigor: the closest thing to a free lunch.

www.crosscheckcatahoulas.com

HOSS
GURU
GURU

Postby HOSS » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:54 am

As dun stated earlier use Nuflor. It is more expensive and you have to buy it from a vet but it packs a pretty good punch. Micotil also works good but be CAREFULL when you use it. It can kill you graveyard dead if you accidently inject yourself. Make sure you have a good restraint system for the cow when using it and wear leather gloves.

As for the lumps I found that it is helpfull to rub the injection sight right after administering the drug. I used to get lumps but a vet showed me that rubbing the sight can help reduce lumps. It works.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:45 am

basumarpo1610 wrote:We have a 2 year old heifer that is coughing and having a hard time breathing.

She's gettin kind of weak as well. We gave her a round of LA200, about 55cc's. She got a little better and started deteriorating again a week later. J

ust gave her another round today

Get some real antibiotics from your vet.
The heavy hitters may be more expensive per CC then the the LA or penicillians they usually turn out cheaper because you use less of them and it doesn;t take as many treatments
0 x

MF135
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MF135 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:24 pm

andreajones021 wrote:I've had to accord my beasts LA 200 and Penicillin and as Dun said they usually leave lumps. You can artlessly rub the breadth or run air-conditioned baptize over it. Depending on how generally you accord the injections the chastening go abroad aural a anniversary or so. Make abiding to adviser and see if the affection are traveling away. If not allocution to your vet.

doooo whaaaaaat??? :shock:
0 x
Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful.

adashky
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby adashky » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:26 am

I have a 21 day old calf with a naval infection. Treated with 2 doses of NuFlor and 1 Micotil. Didn't seem to help alot. Been having to tube feed for she won't go to the cow or take a bottle. She seemed to make some improvements and was running and jumping around but then she had a relapse. Called the vet and he said to put her on Penicillin for 5 days. Since we started with the pen, she is very slow and quiet. I hate to say this, but she acts almost dumb. Could this be a side effect of the pen or possible brain damamge from the infection? Her temp was 101.3 when the vet checked her last thursday.
0 x

tsmaxx47
Rancher
Rancher

Postby tsmaxx47 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:32 pm

STOP - before you all have doc harris in the emergency room!!!!
0 x

tsmaxx47
Rancher
Rancher

Postby tsmaxx47 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:05 pm

dun wrote:What you should try is a serious antibiotic like Nuflor, Excenel, etc. You will have to get them from your vet

also available from a number of websites............
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:41 pm

tsmaxx47 wrote:
dun wrote:What you should try is a serious antibiotic like Nuflor, Excenel, etc. You will have to get them from your vet

also available from a number of websites............

With a vets perscription
0 x

mhfarms
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mhfarms » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:54 pm

i have a 1st calf heifer that has coccidiosis gave him some sulfa taablets the next day she calves does the new calf have the disease if so what do i give the newborn
0 x

Beacake
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Beacake » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:49 am

mhfarms wrote:i have a 1st calf heifer that has coccidiosis gave him some sulfa taablets the next day she calves does the new calf have the disease if so what do i give the newborn

Cocci is a fecal-oral transmitted infection. Your calf shouldn't have the disease unless she was contaminated by mom after the fact, Her cholostrum is fine too ;)
0 x

NorthernIowa
Beginner
Beginner

Postby NorthernIowa » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:44 pm

I recently developed, or at least had the outbreak, of lice. About 3 weeks ago hung the backrubber up and have doused it with liquid permethrin and have powdered that with the Python permethrin dust as well. Have done that a couple two or three times now. I've never had it quite like this before, a select few are beginning to really lose some hair. Aside from running the whole herd thru the chute to pour, are there any other methods I should consider?
0 x

Beacake
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Beacake » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:09 pm

An informative article on 2 types of lice (biting vs. sucking) and measures for treatment and eradication. http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets ... e-lice.pdf
0 x

TobyBenoit
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby TobyBenoit » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:11 pm

Lumps ought to go away in a week or so, but you can have your daughter load her into the grooming chute and rub the lumps with an ice pack if it's getting close to showtime.
0 x

Idahocowgirl
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Idahocowgirl » Mon May 30, 2011 11:36 am

I have a question. My father and I started out this spring with twenty-six calves like we do almost every spring. However, this year we encountered what my father believes is salmoniella in our calves. Some of our calves will get the sniffles and basic colds which we treat with 4.5 cc of Tetracycline (LA 200) and it gets them out of the cough. Right as they get out of the cold stage, the calves had bloody stool but, before we could find something to give them, they died usually with six hours.

Does anyone have any ideas of what we can give our remaining calves to kill salmonella? Or does anyone know what else it could be?

P.S. They are still on Purina Milk Replacer.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”