antibiotics and other drugs - for newbies *updated 11/26/14*

Cattle problems.
BadgerlandReds
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Antibiotics and other drugs - for newbies

Postby BadgerlandReds » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Sometimes they will just have bumps form the La 200 or vaccines. Sometimes they go away and other times they don't. I had the same problem. My one show heifer to this day still has a hard lump on her neck from a shot of La 200 from when she was a calf. I heard you can cut them and drain out the liquid if they are still soft. But then you are opening up room of bacteria and other things to get in. It's like us having an abscess or cyst. Like I said-sometimes they just happen but I heard that if you massage the area where you injected (right after injecting that is) it helps to avoid lumps forming.

owzvk49
Beginner
Beginner

Postby owzvk49 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:54 pm

I teach/revise medical English to a prostodontist.

His patients demand antibiotics even though their condition does not necessiate them.

Then they get a bout of food poisoning...

I suggested that he just prescribe a placebo to them.

"Oh no, that would be unethical".

He told me so with a straight face (a rare thing amongst Thais).

They are addicted to antibiotics, even for a headache or a fleeting period pain.

Physicians here are forced to lie to their clients because their clients have been brainwashed into thinking that they know best.

Big pharma is the ultimate psychopathic predator: they use PR to 'cure' non-diseases and people unquestioningly swallow it all (with a swig of flouridated tap water or cheap whisky).

Consider this: why are all big pharma 'cures' prefixed with 'anti', not 'pro'?

Examples:

anti-biotic

anti-histamine

anti-coagulant

anti-depressant

anti-anxiety

anti-flatulent

anti-fungal

anti-inflammatory

anti-cholesterol

anti-human.

I made that last one up but ultimately that's what the former are.

LivestockConcepts
Beginner
Beginner

Postby LivestockConcepts » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:57 am

SQ is the correct way to inject LA-200 products (in fact most antibioitics) per the Beef Quality Assurance Program. So what you did what right. There are 3 layers of skin you need to get through, and many times when putting large amounts under the skin, if you didn't pinch/tent the skin (pull it up) high enough, then you probably got the antibiotic "between the layers" . Since it is your childs Show Animal, I would advise Holding an ice pack over the swelled area for 5-10 minutes, then rubbing the swelled areas with DMSO. Doing this for 3-5 days, should reduce the swelling fairly quickly. DO NOT try to puncture the swellings (like an abcess). These are actually Granulomas, and will eventually go down, but if the "show season" is coming quickly, the ice pack/DMSO treatment, should help quickly. I
If you are still seeing some running eyes/nose, a Vaccine called Inforce 3 by Pfizer, 2cc given up the nostril of the animal (like a nose spray) will probably help clear it up shortly. Sometimes there is a little "red nose" or Bovine Rhinotraheitis going on, and the InForce 3 causes NO STRESS, and will usually clear things up quickly. Approx .98/dose.
Becky

lasvegas100
Beginner
Beginner

Postby lasvegas100 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:25 am

I've never heard of this but overuse of antibiotics is a bad idea and can cause problems with resistant bacteria if you need to be treated again. This is potentially dangerous not only for you, but for everyone else since we don't need any more new crazy drug-resistant bacteria floating around. MRSA anyone?
http://www.artificialgrasslasvegasnevada.com

javedjon
Beginner
Beginner

Postby javedjon » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:15 am

Great! This is really interesting, I didn’t know it! Keep it going!

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:33 pm

Thought this might be helpful...

[youtube]yoctHByNzoU[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoctHByNzoU
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
"The hottest places in Hades are for those who in time of great moral crises remain neutral" Dante

Johnny48858
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Johnny48858 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:53 pm

I would be of the opinion you are wasting your time and your money on a tetracycline product. I would also suggest sticking to sub-q injection over IM.

I would suggest talking to your vet. An animal that old shouldn't have much for issues. Might be a nutrition issue. I'd say Inforce 3 ASAP and I'd try either Zactran or Draxxin.

Grumpyman
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Grumpyman » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:51 pm

I am a newbie at giving meds to my Miniature Scottish Highlander. I had a friend come over to help me give him a shot of LA200 for his pink eye. Can I give the injection in the muscle instead of under the skin. He has long hair and I cant see if going to hit him in the artery or not. If I could give it in his muscle I think I could be more confident about the shot.

Koffi Babone
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Koffi Babone » Thu May 29, 2014 7:23 pm

You should not combine LA 200 with penicillin.

LA 200 is a tetracycline based antibiotic, that class of drug is a bacteriostat, it works by preventing bacteria from multiplying.

Penicillins on the other hand are bacteriocidal, these drugs work by killing the bacteria as they multiply. So in effect, one cancels the effect of the other.

mackyy20
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mackyy20 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:20 pm

Before we can consider the action that we can take to prevent germ infection or a viral infection such as SARS – we have to first of all take into account a few of the major factors that have led to a situation where all too many people in our world have weakened immune systems.

WildBill
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: antibiotics and other drugs - for newbies *updated 11/26

Postby WildBill » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:05 am

La-200 is a hot antibiotic and does give a burning sensation to the animal and will give a lump most times. We use Bio-mycin 200. Its a lot smother does not burn and usually never leaves a lump. Plus its cheaper too.

MAGONZ1969
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MAGONZ1969 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:59 am

I have few cows that are coughing and am afraid they getting sick, pneumonia. Used excenel on one of them already but am afraid might have to treat others. I think most of them are bred except a few maybe. What would be best, excenel or nuflor. Worried that they might all get sick and really would be a disaster for me. Any suggestions. Here in Nebraska weather is crazy now, warm in the day and below 30s at night. Please help.

WildBill
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby WildBill » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:23 am

Weather related pneumonia is tough to treat. If they are Dairy cows I would go with Excenel due to 0 milk withdrawal. If Beef go with the Nuflor or Polyflex would work for your purpose. Sounds like your catching it early. Hopefully its bacterial and the antibiotics work. A guy I know uses CTC Crumbles every year when they start coughing and has really good success with it. Might be easier if your dosing the whole group? Hope you get it under control quickly.

Warrenb
Beginner
Beginner

Re: antibiotics and other drugs - for newbies *updated 11/26/14*

Postby Warrenb » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:39 am

How about use of the medi-dart opinions on that.. For pasture injection for cattle with foot rot

Bar E
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bar E » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:58 am

BadgerlandReds wrote:Sometimes they will just have bumps form the La 200 or vaccines. Sometimes they go away and other times they don't. I had the same problem. My one show heifer to this day still has a hard lump on her neck from a shot of La 200 from when she was a calf. I heard you can cut them and drain out the liquid if they are still soft. But then you are opening up room of bacteria and other things to get in. It's like us having an abscess or cyst. Like I said-sometimes they just happen but I heard that if you massage the area where you injected (right after injecting that is) it helps to avoid lumps forming.

How long do you massage the area for?

Return to “Health & Nutrition”