bottle calves for newbies

Cattle problems.
Shawn001
Beginner
Beginner

Re: bottle calves for newbies

Postby Shawn001 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:19 am

Thanks MM! Now I know why my Bella looks like she does! It's all my fault!!! I am going to start another thread, so as not to hijack this one, to ask what can be done when you have already raised them wrong!!!!

Your info. is always so helpful!

Teresa
0 x

clayman
Beginner
Beginner

Postby clayman » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:18 pm

I just bought a set of twin heifers the previous owner would not sell them seperate I supose to keep them happy, they stayed on their momma for 10 days. Now I come from a farm family but never had the time to raise bottle calves till now so I am a green horn for sure. I will say I have used the forum archives for research on my many issues and really need to thank you all for tons of info which leads me to my reason for posting. I got these girls home and I knew it would take some time for them to get hungry and take to a bottle but omg 1-2-3 days went by with me stratling the twins forcing at least a little milk down they would not suckle but were eating starter grain and drinking fresh water. Finally on day 4 I got one of them to suckle from then on she has been a milk vacum the other one not so. out of desperation I made up some electolite and within minites she was sucking it down so reached over and grabed her milk bottle and she took off drank the whole thing down, the next feeding she wouldn't suckle again so now I give her a little juice (electrolite) first to clear her throat and have started sleeping again. this make 6 bottle calfs this year and these two by far have been the hardest to bottle train so far. I couldn't have done it with out reading about all the tricks. For all the other green horns out there don't give up.
0 x

Suzie Q
GURU
GURU

Postby Suzie Q » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:31 pm

JMHO, but if they were drinking out of the trough I would have just put the milk in there and let them drink it rather than teaching them to take the bottle. "Teach how you want to continue" JMHO.
0 x
http://www.suesonlineshoppingstore.com/ = my blog and http://suesstore.fabulousproductsmall.com/

gamegold1
Beginner
Beginner

Postby gamegold1 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:29 pm

Maybe it's true that to straighten up with time. It may have been bent while he was inside the uterus.
0 x
www.07runescapegolds.com | www.cheapfifa13coins.com | www.runescape4gold.com

Double R Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Double R Ranch » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:17 am

Can anyone touch on the proper way and tips to tubing a calf? One of the previous posts said they lost one due to tubing and got me thinking I wouldn't know how to explain it.
0 x

gaitedcurly81
Beginner
Beginner

Postby gaitedcurly81 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:09 am

Has anyone ever had this issue. I've never had any of our calves do this in the past, but have one now. In the process of weaning them and I have one that will not eat his grain but will eat hay like crazy. We had sprinkled replacer on top of the feed and he will lick that up like no other. If I just slighly mix it in he won't eat the grain. He will eat the grain if I place it in my hand but just won't eat it out of the bucket. I"m not sure if I should take the hay away from him to get him so he will eat the grain or keep letting him eat the hay and not worry to much about the grain situation. I don't want him to not get enough though and then have problems later either. They are still on milk just cut it back a tad to try to get him to eat more grain.
0 x

Double R Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Double R Ranch » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:06 pm

Start this in a new thread. You will get more views and responses. :)
0 x

Suzie Q
GURU
GURU

Postby Suzie Q » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:03 am

How about putting the hay in the bucket and what you want to eat on top of it?
0 x
http://www.suesonlineshoppingstore.com/ = my blog and http://suesstore.fabulousproductsmall.com/

jgardner
Beginner
Beginner

Postby jgardner » Wed May 28, 2014 2:15 pm

Hydrocephaly Bottle Calve

Hello, new to this site and need some help. We have a 2 month old Hydrocephaly Bottle Calve. From what I understand from our vet it is a minor case but it is very rare that he is living. He is doing pretty well. Takes bottle well, drinks from nipple bucket with water on his own and eats grass on his own. He is not eat grain, but we have ordered milk replacer pellets (vet suggestion) and hope that we will eat those this week!
The reason I am posting is because we recently noticed that he is vomiting. He vomits after a bottle, usually a green milky solution with grass. He has normal BMs and is chewing is cud. The vet thought he was getting indigestion from taking the bottle aggressively and suggested giving him electrolytes and pepto for a few days and see if it gets better. We are giving pepto 1 daily in PM and bottle of electrolytes AM and PM. We have noticed that he is still vomiting, but just once a day after the AM feeding. We are thinking this still relates to the bottle as he is bigger now and aggressive with the bottle causing him to take in a lot of air.
Just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience or can offer any suggestions on what we can do or what it might be. Thanks!
0 x

Suzie Q
GURU
GURU

Postby Suzie Q » Fri May 30, 2014 5:27 pm

I would say cut out the bottle and get him to drink from a bucket or trough.
0 x

Koffi Babone
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Koffi Babone » Fri May 30, 2014 6:58 pm

Very good post by Milkmaid, since there were over 80 subsequent replies, I did not read then all and don't know if anyone mentionned something on navel care which is crucial. When the calves are born, the navel is moist and is the perfect entry route for bacteria.

Dipping the navel in 5% tincture of iodine (the stuff that stains, not the surgical soap) as often as possible (at least twice a day, preferrably more) will make a big difference in preventing scours.

5% Tincture of iodine is a disinfectant and will accelerate the navel drying time. The purpose is to make that entry route as unpleasant as possible for bacteria.

This product is very cheap and can save headaches. Some places sell a concentrated version, you should dilute it down with clean water to make a 5% solution (make sure it says Tincture though).
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:33 pm

Very informative thread. Thanks to all.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:50 am

What will happen if you feed a bottle calf once a day, rather than the traditional twice a day?
0 x
Stocker Steve

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:23 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:What will happen if you feed a bottle calf once a day, rather than the traditional twice a day?

I've never done it but a friend of mine went from 2/twice a day to 4/once a day when the calf was a couple months old & he ended up with an enormous gut. The steer ended up being a pet (he's now considered yard art), he's 4 years old & still has a gut. I doubt it's healthy for the calf & unless you have no other alternative I wouldn't recommend it. Just my :2cents:
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:20 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:What will happen if you feed a bottle calf once a day, rather than the traditional twice a day?

Safe bet they will not "thrive". They will not do very well at all. They will most likely live, but will look crappy compared to their regularly fed peers.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Return to “Health & Nutrition”