Banding bull calves at older age

Cattle problems.
Eugene66
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Banding bull calves at older age

Postby Eugene66 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:38 pm

We have banded more than a thousand - larger sizes - with the Callicrate bander plus more than a thousand utilizing the green cheerios on smaller calves. We have never utilized any Tetanus products and have never lost an animal because of it to our knowledge.
0 x
COL 2:8-10. Thank God I'm not treated as I deserve.

SIMMGAL
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Banding bull calves at older age

Postby SIMMGAL » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:38 am

preston39 wrote:Our 500-550# commercial calve buyers REQUIRES knife castration 30-45 days before purchase...or the animal is discounted. The exlanation is that the feeder lot uses the scrotum as a gauge of carcass fat content and then they are able to adjust the intake values. The only time we adjust the time frame is if/when an individual animal begins developing the traditional bull type facial features..then we castrate him early.

I might point out that castration is... a one trip....process.

We castrate with the sign in the left knee...going down. Never had a bleeder,infection or any other residual side effect.

Your production may be discounted without you realizing it. Suggest you check with your purchase source.

We knife cut almost everything here as well, unless it's an unusual circumstance. Especially at that age and weight. I've also heard it mentioned that buyers prefer their purchased cattle to be knife cut...in my area at least. Might be different in yours! Best of luck to you!
0 x
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cattle and that's pretty much the same thing as far as I'm concerned! ;-)

Return to “Health & Nutrition”