Hello!

The place to start if you are new!
Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Re: Hello!

Postby Rafter S » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:39 pm

Moonshine,

First of all, welcome to the forum. Second, I'll try to address a few things here.

1. In your first sentence you described yourself as an "animal advocate". That can mean different things to different people. To some of us in the food animal industry it immediately conjures images of animal rights extremists, who think animals should have all the rights that people do, in fact see no difference between animals and people, and are working diligently to end our way of life. Another category is well-intentioned people that are personally unfamiliar with livestock, have never been on a working farm or ranch, but still have firm opinions about how those of us who have been in the livestock industry for decades, or even multiple generations, should be caring for our animals. I think you can understand how that can cause us some frustration. While I didn't get the impression that you fit into either of those categories, the term can unfortunately cause a knee-jerk reaction that isn't always justified.

2. As others have said, the cows may need to be treated for parasites, although since you said there are a couple of vets involved I'd think at least one of them would have addressed that already. I'm also puzzled as to why you're asking questions here when you said there are multiple vets and knowledgeable cattle folks involved, but I don't mind.

3. For the "pet cow" issue, as far as I'm concerned you have the right to have a cow that you consider a pet if you want, but it's not like getting a 6-week old kitten. A mature cow can kill you, either intentionally or not. Its similar to someone that's never been around dogs and knows next to nothing about them all of a sudden getting a mature Doberman or pit bull, that may or may not be vicious. Or you mentioned snakes. If I got on a snake forum (I assume there is such a thing) and said I'd always wanted a dangerous snake, and had recently gotten one, but didn't know anything about them, I suspect it would get some reactions similar to some of the ones you got here.

Again, welcome to the forum, and I hope you'll stick around.
1 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:04 pm

Hasn;t been back since the first day, doubt we will see her again
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:10 pm

dun wrote:Hasn;t been back since the first day, doubt we will see her again

We get a lot like that.

Great post rafter.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:18 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Great post rafter.

Indeed it was! Well thought out and stated.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:39 am

Good job rafter. If she seriously needed help, she'd still be looking. I am hoping it is all taken care of.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:05 am

She gone
0 x

MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MtnCows93 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:06 pm

id bet money they werent emaciated shes just a typical animal "rescuer" that bought some longhorns and thought they were starving cause she saw a rib
2 x

VirginiaCattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby VirginiaCattle » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:42 pm

I never assumed Moonshine was a female.
It all seemed like trolling though.

P.S. This forum is where English went to die.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:42 am

VirginiaCattle wrote:I never assumed Moonshine was a female.
It all seemed like trolling though.

P.S. This forum is where English went to die.

I had assumed female because of the references to the boyfriend, but since you mentioned it maybe I was wrong.
3 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MtnCows93 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:35 pm

haha probly right
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”