buying a set of corriente or longhorn cattle

The place to start if you are new!
BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Re: buying a set of corriente or longhorn cattle

Postby BRYANT » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:43 am

This is a subject that has been beat to death on this site for the last few years. Longhorns, Corriente and Brahman are all breeds that some people like and some people hate. You can show how these breeds can make money, you can show the good points, and some on here will hate them so Newcutter if it is something you like raise them. You will find a lot on here that think if it ain't black then it can't make money, to which I disagree.
1 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:51 am

Newcutter I will be in the SE part of Okla. in the next few days and if I think about it and have time I will go by a place that has probably over a 100 head of Longhorn/Corriente with Char. bulls on them. I will try to take a picture and post it of them and their calves, last time I saw them they were some nice yellow calves that would bring a very good price with very little horn.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Newcutter
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Newcutter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:23 am

Thanks
0 x

Newcutter
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Newcutter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:36 am

No, I don’t have it all figured out. Still gathering information on the subject. Some responses seem to not have much info, to why they don’t like them other than they just don’t like them. I know black is better, “BUT GREEN IS KING”. I am using a lot of different factors to decide what to do time, money, equipment, pasture etc....
2 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:49 pm

[quote="Newcutter"]I am using a lot of different factors to decide what to do.....
Looks like you've answered your own questions, throughout this whole thread.. Seriously though,Good luck with what ever you do...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Newcutter
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Newcutter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Wow thanks for your input
0 x

Lazy M
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Lazy M » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:08 pm

Newcutter wrote:The longhorn/corriente type cattle “in my opinion”are low maintenance. They are cheap, live forever, and will utilize those places that most cattle will find difficult to hold upon with out some help ( tubs, hay, cubes etc...). I have notice around here a few ranchers are closet longhorn and corriente owners. They don’t want there friends to know that have them so they keep them in the backwoods hidden. I ask one guy why he did this and his answer to me was that. They were all profit. He has very little in them and when the bank comes calling for there money on his brangus or Bradford cattle and it’s a down year. He is ok because of his security blanket in the “back forty “, picks up there slack. He told me he bought 6 corriente cows to 1 brangus cow, yes she raised a 700 lb calve that bought $1.35., his little corriente cows had 425 .lb calve bought .95 lb. but he had 6 to sell compared to the 1, and had less in the 6 calves then what he had in 1 brangus bred calf.

You're not going to run 6 corriente for one beef cow. Maybe 1.5 cor per beef cow. I doubt they'll wean calves at 400#; prob more like 3-350#. If the buyers suspect that they are corriente (and they will eventually) you'll be lucky to get .70/lb.
If you want to get corriente go for it, but take off the rose tinted glasses.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:48 pm

I look at Longhorn X Char across the fence all the time. I could half way go for that. The Corriente deal is a no-go.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Newcutter
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Newcutter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:07 pm

Ok thanks for all the input.
0 x

Newcutter
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Newcutter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:23 pm

Didn’t realize how worthless these type of cattle are
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:06 am

I've had several over the years, and have a few now. You've got some misconceptions. First 1200 pounds of momma cow is going to eat X amount of roughage. Doesn't matter if that's one beef cow, or two corriente. Some charlois cross calves, do pass for beef calves. They won't be super performers, with exceptional weaning weights.

Yes, your LH/corriente cow will cost less on the front end. She will also produce less for her entire career, and bring less when she pounded out at retirement.

I speak from experience when I make this statement------If somebody walked up and said, "I'm feeling generous, I'll give you one nice beef cow, or two average LH cows." I'd take the beef cow.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:45 am

I prefer cows that are the most profitable. Right now, our most profitable cows are LH X Angus bred back to an Angus bull. They will wean calves just as big as our Angus cows bred to the same bull. They are all on the same diet, and the Angus cows look like ragged azz while the LH and LH X cows are fat and slick. It works for us, and our buyer prefers our cross calves over the handful of purebreds we still raise.
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:42 am

Proof again that it's hard to beat a crossbred cow in a commercial operation. One main thing to remember is a longhorn and corriente is not the same animal.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:44 pm

Newcutter wrote:So you are saying if you had some rough country that was in unsuitable to run regular beef cattle on, and had the opportunity to buy some cheap longhorn or corriente you wouldn’t buy some and run them on it.

yes and I'd put a char or angus bulls with them. sell the calves early.
0 x

MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MtnCows93 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:40 pm

one other think people may not realize is that longhorn/corriente cows have very little calving problems no matter how big a bull you put on them, thats why putting 1 ton charolais bulls on corriente cows that weigh less that 1/3 of the bulls weight will make money. very good weaning weight ratios
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”