my first heifers

The place to start if you are new!
FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Re: my first heifers

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:09 pm

Not saying that Black Angus isn't the way to go because most start heifers with Angus Bulls but if it was me I would go with the Homozygous Polled Homozygous Black RCR Stetson T17 Simmental Bull and not think twice about it. He'll add the continental genetics to the British genetics and the calves would still be black baldy. Our heifers calved with extreme ease by him and the calves really impressed us with their Eye Appeal. He is definitely a sire I'll stick with on my heifers. Loved his calves, had no trouble with them, and they sell great for us. Good luck with your heifers, hope they make great cows for you.
0 x

ez14
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:15 pm

I will look into rcr stetson t17. what do you guys think of G A R Progress
0 x
with your shield or on it

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:26 pm

Progress is a DD carrier. Stay using clean Bulls you should have clean cows. I'd keep them heifers red tho and use a red Angus myself.
0 x

ez14
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:31 pm

whats DD?
0 x

denvermartinfarms
GURU
GURU

Postby denvermartinfarms » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:37 pm

Nice heifers. Depends of where you want to go. I would be looking at breeding them to a black angus or horned Hereford the first time around. A Charolais would be really good on them, but I wouldn't recommend it for heifers.
0 x
This world is not my home i'm just passing through

Toad
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Toad » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:50 pm

Around here I would definitely use a good lbw black angus. Nice looking heifers, they should make good cows for you. Be sure and get them on a good diet so they are ready to go to work for you.
0 x

ez14
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:58 pm

The farm i work on has a feed consultant im going to talk to but what would you recommende for a diet
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:10 pm

Nice girls. They are spoiled already.
On first calf heifers always go with low bw angus rather you like angus or not. Just saves some trouble. I don't like angus but that's what I do. Only reason I don't really like them is because there black and I like colored cows.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:17 am

Till-Hill wrote:Progress is a DD carrier. Stay using clean Bulls you should have clean cows. I'd keep them heifers red tho and use a red Angus myself.
You'll have good heifers but you'll get docked for having red baldy calves. About 10 cents less per lbs at some local sale barns.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:36 am

ez14 wrote:whats DD?

DD is "developmental duplication"--a genetic mutation you should try not to breed to if you can help it. Here's a fact sheet (this one is from the American Angus Assn but it's not specific to Angus):
http://www.angus.org/pub/DD/DDFactSheet.pdf

Have you studied Punnett squares and some simple genetics yet in school? DD isn't really complicated, or a big cause for concern, just something most folks are trying to breed away from when they can (to my understanding). For example, we have a cow that is a DD carrier, meaning she doesn't exhibit the disorder herself but, if bred to a DD carrier bull, may give birth to offspring which shows the disorder (multiple extra limbs: pic here: https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=d ... mp=yhs-002).

Good luck with your heifers! Do they have minerals/salt?
0 x

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:08 am

Muddy wrote:
Till-Hill wrote:Progress is a DD carrier. Stay using clean Bulls you should have clean cows. I'd keep them heifers red tho and use a red Angus myself.
You'll have good heifers but you'll get docked for having red baldy calves. About 10 cents less per lbs at some local sale barns.

Your probably right but on 2 head you can finish them out and market them that way. We had been using this bull on some crossbred and clubby type heifers. Had calf make it into heavy weight class last year and cut almost 70%. http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.ph ... ed%20Angus

Haven't seen any daughters but heard they are good cows. Just what I'd do. You can always turn them black with just a change of bulls!
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:59 pm

I have been using Thomas Top Hand on my heifers. I have received good reports from the people who bought them.
0 x

ez14
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:33 pm

thanks everyone for the help. what do people think about RCR Stetson T17 Simmental Bull.
0 x

Sd1030
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Sd1030 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:03 am

Nice looking girls you have there. A friend of mine used capitalist on some heifers this spring and said he threw some tiny calves. She seems to be pleased with him over all. May also want to look at deer valley all in, from what im hearing hes suppose to be a good bull, both are in select sire.
0 x

ez14
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:01 pm

Thanks every one for your help. I think i need to buy more heifers so i can try all the bulls out lol :lol:
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”