Hello!

The place to start if you are new!
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Hello!

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:14 pm

Make the moonshine and feed the longhorns the leftover mash and they will calm down real quick. Send the shine to me and I will see it is disposed of properly.
Sounds like a good worming and the grass you describe will be most of what they need. It takes time to make them look different when the bones are showing but given time they will improve well.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:32 pm

I'd rather have a cow for a pet than a hog for a pet.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

cmay
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cmay » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:48 am

Longhorns in good condition look a lot different than other breeds. You're probably going to "see some bones".

Also, cows are not pets.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:02 pm

The average Longhorn is more "boney" than most average beef breeds.

Most folks (that are not familiar with cattle of any kind) see dairy cows and think they are starving to death.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:51 pm

I think Moonshine should copy the original post and her other posts over to Ranchers, where they are much much nicer in their replys. Be sure to include all the very detailed information you submitted here as well. ;-)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

cowboy43
GURU
GURU

Postby cowboy43 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:16 pm

You need to remember this is the beginners Board and their will be questions asked that may seem silly to experienced ranchers, I am on several ag. related Boards and one of the biggest concerns is the lack of knowledge the average person has of where our food comes from and how few young people are getting into agriculture. We as farmers and ranchers need to support our young people. The young people will become bankers, lawyers,politicians, doctors and other professions, we may need their help at some point and if so we want them to have a positive attitude toward farmers and ranchers.
Moonshine keep reading the forum and asking questions, their are many on here that will help you and answer your question in a civil manner. Welcome to the forum. :cboy:
0 x

djinwa
GURU
GURU

Postby djinwa » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:51 pm

M-5 wrote:Where are you located?? What exactly are you feeding them?? BTW cows are not pets!!

Please explain why cows cannot be pets.

Can horses be pets?

Exactly which animals are allowed to be pets?

What does it mean to be a pet? Does that mean you actually like the animal?

Can an animal be a pet and also be productive? Are you allowed to like your cows? Give them a scratch?

I think I may have been doing things wrong, because I like my cows.
0 x
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
-Mahatma Ghandi

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:02 pm

I like mine to and I spend alot of time with them. I think you know what I meant , they can hurt or kill you by just tossing their head wanting a scratch. At the end of the day they are livestock.
1 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:19 pm

M-5 wrote:I like mine to and I spend alot of time with them. I think you know what I meant , they can hurt or kill you by just tossing their head wanting a scratch. At the end of the day they are livestock.

I agree with M-5, pet cows could be dangerous if they re spoiled and pampered too much. I got a pet cow here but she knows her place and I treated her as a cow, not a human or dog. Pet horned cattle, 100x times worse than polled cattle and I don't want to be in the pen with few spoiled horned Holstein freemartins without my stick or dogs.
0 x

cowboy43
GURU
GURU

Postby cowboy43 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:29 pm

I had the neighbors pet Longhorns, ( six of them) get on my place, I led them back through the fence with cubes, I soon realized I really had to watch the reach of their horns, it was like being in a sword fight.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:36 pm

Ever seen what they can do to a canvas top on a gooseneck?
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:56 pm

cowboy43 wrote:I really had to watch the reach of their horns, it was like being in a sword fight.

I don't envy you with these longhorns. These Holstein freemartins were a little intimidating for me since they didn't respect my space when I have to feed them. Told the owners to do dehorning their next batch.
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:38 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:
Moonshine wrote:Now, anybody wanna take a crack at my questions again?

Sure. They need worming. You are describing wormy cows. Perfect nutrition is lost if they cows have worms. Start by worming them and you'll need to do that a couple of times a year.

Great advice that's what I was going to say. Worm them and feed them and admire them from a respectable distance.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:11 pm

wacocowboy wrote:
Great advice that's what I was going to say. Worm them and feed them and admire them from a respectable distance.

What else could I say?

The post just hit me all wrong waco. Cattlemen typically do anything they can to help out. Any advice I offer could contradict the efforts of her "experienced cattleman". Is she trying to entrap someone? What's going on here? Lots of contradiction and attitude. Perhaps she doesn't trust him. Perhaps he needs help. Perhaps he knows more than the rest of us.

I need to see the cows. Heck, they could look fine for the breed they are. Or not. If she writes thirty pages but does not know what she is describing, I'm still lost.

My ex-wife would come home with a piece of trash water faucet and tell me, "the salesman said it was a good one." I don't want to be that type of salesman, for anyone.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:31 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:

What else could I say?

The post just hit me all wrong waco. Cattlemen typically do anything they can to help out. Any advice I offer could contradict the efforts of her "experienced cattleman". Is she trying to entrap someone? What's going on here? Lots of contradiction and attitude. Perhaps she doesn't trust him. Perhaps he needs help. Perhaps he knows more than the rest of us.

I need to see the cows. Heck, they could look fine for the breed they are. Or not. If she writes thirty pages but does not know what she is describing, I'm still lost.

My ex-wife would come home with a piece of trash water faucet and tell me, "the salesman said it was a good one." I don't want to be that type of salesman, for anyone.

With the info given I think you gave sound advice same advice I would give. Yep most cowpokes I know will bend over backwards to help someone.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Return to “Beginners Board”