Calving

The place to start if you are new!
tazzer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Calving

Postby tazzer » Thu May 05, 2016 7:37 am

what do y'all think is the best time of year to have calfs dropping ?
0 x

JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU

Re: Calving

Postby JSCATTLE » Thu May 05, 2016 7:43 am

Here in southeast Texas I like to start 1st of December. By the time they are eating grass the spring grass is growing . .
0 x
God bless America .. 1/20/17 ..

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu May 05, 2016 7:45 am

March-april for the same reason jscattle gave
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu May 05, 2016 7:54 am

tazzer wrote:what do y'all think is the best time of year to have calfs dropping ?

See my (and other's) reply at http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=103543.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

tdc_cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby tdc_cattle » Fri May 06, 2016 8:02 am

I've been trying to move mine up to Jan. Feb might be better but were generally wetter in feb then jan. Calving in May is nice but my forage quality seems to be dropping when the calves ought to really be taking off.
0 x

tdc_cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby tdc_cattle » Fri May 06, 2016 8:10 am

Also they aren't breding in July and August. My earlier born calves have been closer together. I really feel breeding conditions played a factor in that.
0 x

LauraleesFarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LauraleesFarm » Thu May 12, 2016 8:35 am

I like February 1 to May 1 and then September 1 thru December 1. I leave the Charolais and Angus bulls in year round. But for the Brahman I will pull out the bull December 20 thru May 1.
0 x
John 3:16

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu May 12, 2016 12:54 pm

I do Mar 10 calving start, May 24th bull release, which coincides with good grass
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

City Guy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby City Guy » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:23 am

The cow will consume about 50% more feed in her last month of gestation than her calf will in it's first 4 months of life (grass, I'm talking about) so cow's needs are paramount. Around here (Central IL) that means letting her graze new grass from mid-March till late April and calving late April thru end of May.
Otherwise buy expensive hay and supplements and when the new grass comes along the calves will be standing in it while they nurse! When a May born calf is really beginning to graze, the cool season grasses are making a comeback (September). This is ranching in sync with nature!
Unless you have excellent quality stockpiled grass there is no good reason to calve any other seasons but spring and fall.
0 x
Play the music, not the notes; read the story, not the words.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:59 am

City Guy wrote:The cow will consume about 50% more feed in her last month of gestation than her calf will in it's first 4 months of life (grass, I'm talking about) so cow's needs are paramount. Around here (Central IL) that means letting her graze new grass from mid-March till late April and calving late April thru end of May.
Otherwise buy expensive hay and supplements and when the new grass comes along the calves will be standing in it while they nurse! When a May born calf is really beginning to graze, the cool season grasses are making a comeback (September). This is ranching in sync with nature!
Unless you have excellent quality stockpiled grass there is no good reason to calve any other seasons but spring and fall.

Are you speaking from experience in calving "Around here", or just what you believe people from "Around here" do?
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:35 pm

City Guy wrote:The cow will consume about 50% more feed in her last month of gestation than her calf will in it's first 4 months of life (grass, I'm talking about) so cow's needs are paramount. Around here (Central IL) that means letting her graze new grass from mid-March till late April and calving late April thru end of May.

Great post. Except you forgot to discuss the forage needs of the cow when lactating. So, many folks would argue that the ideal way to be in sync with nature would be to have the calf standing in all the new grass while they nurse - the point you appear to mock. Books are great things when used wisely.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:38 pm

Also important to note that based on your individual operation, it may not be the best economic decision to be in sync with nature. And, sadly, we are in this for the money.
0 x

City Guy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby City Guy » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:34 pm

I 'm pretty sure most producers around here don't do it that way. I mention it and support it because it MAKES SENSE and for no other reason. Where is the cheap, high quality grass for the lactating cow in February, if you are so concerned? If you have to feed expensive hay ( or cheap hay for that matter) wouldn't you rather feed it during the first 7 months of gestation than the last two? Or better yet wouldn't you rather not have to feed it at all? Thousand of producers from all parts of the world are able to stockpile enough grass that they seldom need to feed any hay. That is THEIR EXPERIENCE and it works. Wouldn't you rather have a calf born on a warm bed of fresh grass than in a cold, sloppy, mud lot filled with manure and urine? If you want it that way go ahead, but IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!
And as for economic considerations, how many calves have to be lost before any economic gains are wiped out? I don't know the statistics, but you all probably do. How many calves (proportionately) are lost in May verses February? Your winter born calves may be worth more or weigh more but what did those pounds cost you? Anybody who grows or manufactures anything knows that production and profit are not the same thing. Often there is only a vague correlation between them.
And remember money you don't spend is paid in advance, is 100% profit and tax free!!
0 x

City Guy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby City Guy » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:07 pm

If you all are going to continue to belittle my "book learnin" I am going to start berating your experience. The books, blogs and websites I have learned from (including this one) were written by cattle producers, with no exceptions. Some of what I read did not make sense or jibe with what science I already knew and I dismissed it. I have spent many years pawing through thousands of writings, and not believing everything I read. I look for ways to NOT DO things, Like not vaccinating if possible, or not feeding hay, especially my own, if possible. Stockpiling MAKES SENSE, bailing hay doesn't. Maybe it isn't always possible to do it that way but it is a goal worth pursuing. Mob grazing and stockpiling should be the norm, not the exceptions.
Remember, just because you were there during an event doesn't make it a value learning experience. Many of you say you have XXX years experience, but do you really? Maybe it was the same year repeated XXX times. Be honest, except for trying a different bull of a new fly spray or some such thing, was this year much different than last year or the year before that? If you can tell me that you instituted a genuinely new policy, test, measurement, or other program I will be happy to listen and learn from you. But if you keep doing the same thing over and over hoping for a different result I'm not much interested. Around here such people are called Cub fans!!
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:43 pm

For all your reading, studying and research you still haven;t seemed to learn one thing. There is NO silver bullet. What will work in one areas, climate, environment won;t always work in another.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Return to “Beginners Board”