Alternative livestock economics

The place to start if you are new!
City Guy
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Alternative livestock economics

Postby City Guy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:43 am

As usual, I only know what I read, but for me it would be Katahdin Hair sheep and/or Kiko goats. I have 8-9 "favorite" breeds of cattle, but only one of sheep and one of goats. Boer goats, I read, are very high maintenance and highly susceptible to worms. Lots of hoof problems too.
On my fantasy farm I always have sheep grazing with or just behind the cows and goats on the steep timber land. When fescue heads out I bring in the goats ahead of the cattle and rest the timber pastures. There are just too many benefits to multi species grazing to ignore. Of course each case is different.
Play the music, not the notes; read the story, not the words.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:47 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:I know less about goats than I do cattle which is pretty frightening.

Me too and I have no intention of raising sheep and goats regardless of what the cattle market does. I think the Fenceman has raised both and done quite well with sheep and goats.
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:10 am

TexasBred wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:I know less about goats than I do cattle which is pretty frightening.

Me too and I have no intention of raising sheep and goats regardless of what the cattle market does. I think the Fenceman has raised both and done quite well with sheep and goats.

I have no doubt there's money to be made with sheep and goats. I'm just not interested in getting any of it.
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:04 pm

Around here, you'd get *maybe* a 2-yr 'honeymoon' period before the worms started killing off your goats/sheep in a major way... IF you managed to find any that weren't already harboring a population of worms that weren't already resistant to everything available... and after that, culling for parasite resistance would mainly entail dragging off the deads...

Then, there's the fencing issue...

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:37 pm

I went through the "honeymoon" myself in the Texas hill country learning from my old granddad who made an honest living from sheep and goats, and a few cows with a stocking rate of 25-30 acres per cow. Parasites were near nonexistent West of i35, and the fences were already established in that area. I came back to Oklahoma for the lower cost of living, bringing with me 200 head of put together sheep and goats that thrived in Texas. Out of that flock after culling and death loss I had 60 "survivors" left with parasite resistance that would stay in okie fences. The best thing I did was getting some genetics acclimated to my area.
Success is not a station on the railroad where you get off and your life's work is complete. Success is the train itself ~ Allan Nation

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:28 pm

Lucky_P wrote:Around here, you'd get *maybe* a 2-yr 'honeymoon' period before the worms started killing off your goats/sheep in a major way... IF you managed to find any that weren't already harboring a population of worms that weren't already resistant to everything available... and after that, culling for parasite resistance would mainly entail dragging off the deads...

YIKES!!!!!!
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:33 pm

You guys are talking me out of my dream of being a kingpin in the goat business.
The more I read here the less I know.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:13 pm

Lucky_P wrote:Around here, you'd get *maybe* a 2-yr 'honeymoon' period before the worms started killing off your goats/sheep in a major way... IF you managed to find any that weren't already harboring a population of worms that weren't already resistant to everything available... and after that, culling for parasite resistance would mainly entail dragging off the deads...

I worked for a man that had sheep and Black Angus cattle.... still have nightmares to this day. I never doctored, and worked, and buried, and babied, and doctored so much in my life. I don't care if they pay you in gold bars... no dice here. :hide:
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:14 pm

Lol. My first experience was definitely a trial by fire with a u shaped learning curve. The flock I keep now couldn't be killed with a hammer lol. Starting small with an acclimated group would be my best advice to lower risks.
Success is not a station on the railroad where you get off and your life's work is complete. Success is the train itself ~ Allan Nation

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:34 pm

Predator issues is the reason why I didn't get in sheep/goat business. Everything likes a fresh lamb or a young goat kid.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:50 pm

Muddy wrote:Predator issues is the reason why I didn't get in sheep/goat business. Everything likes a fresh lamb or a young goat kid.

They're safe from me.
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:28 pm

I'm not here to sell anybody on them and won't deny that they are NOT easy money. I'm sure there's a reason John Wayne didn't have any lol.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:20 pm

Muddy wrote:Predator issues is the reason why I didn't get in sheep/goat business. Everything likes a fresh lamb or a young goat kid.

I have no shortage of eagles, coyotes, bears, and mountain lions with wolves on the way. So if the parasites and disease doesn't get them the predators will. I have a friend with a few sheep. Bald Eagles got 17 lambs last spring. Shooting a Bald Eagle is frowned on.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:29 pm

Yea I sell hair sheep and goats every weekend... I personally do really well on hogs too roasting size. Avg weekend I will sell 7-10 animals. Oh yea trimming hooves is not fun...
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:40 pm

Took this last night while feeding them.. They are some weird creatures

Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Return to “Beginners Board”