Alternative livestock economics

The place to start if you are new!
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Alternative livestock economics

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:16 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:I'm not here to sell anybody on them and won't deny that they are NOT easy money. I'm sure there's a reason John Wayne didn't have any lol.

Jacob Mcandles (Big Jake) bought a whole flock.

RanchMan90
Rancher
Rancher

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:32 pm

Do you direct market them sky?
Success is not a station on the railroad where you get off and your life's work is complete. Success is the train itself ~ Allan Nation

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:31 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:Do you direct market them sky?

Ad up in tractor supply but wife's a RN and when I go visit they know we farm and lots of ethnic folks out in orders for just meat some come out and slaughter. I have decided to build something for folks to process the animals they buy if lawyer says I can do so without liability .. Thanks Jo for the suggestion.
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

RanchMan90
Rancher
Rancher

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:10 pm

That's what got me hooked on them was direct marketing to the ethnic market, lots of that in TX with lots shipped to the east coast. Is that your maternal herd or stockers sky?
Success is not a station on the railroad where you get off and your life's work is complete. Success is the train itself ~ Allan Nation

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:06 am

RanchMan90 wrote:That's what got me hooked on them was direct marketing to the ethnic market, lots of that in TX with lots shipped to the east coast. Is that your maternal herd or stockers sky?

Stockers... One of the folks that buys feed from me had around 700 goats and sheep I buy from him.
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:36 pm

Rafter S wrote:
Muddy wrote:Predator issues is the reason why I didn't get in sheep/goat business. Everything likes a fresh lamb or a young goat kid.

They're safe from me.

Me too-alive or cut/wrapped in the freezer.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
"The hottest places in Hades are for those who in time of great moral crises remain neutral" Dante

msplmtneer
Rancher
Rancher
Location: Where the rockets rattle your windows. Fl but my heart in WV.

Postby msplmtneer » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:38 am

What about camels or zebras, I watched a auction in Missouri where the camels and zebras were bringing 3 to 6 thousand a head!

RanchMan90
Rancher
Rancher

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:55 am

Buy low and sell high. That's all I know lol.

RanchMan90
Rancher
Rancher

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:55 am

https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/news/columns/be ... 65-percent. An interesting and informative read here.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:39 am

RanchMan90 wrote:With the cattle cycle at a current low and the sheep/goat market being pretty strong I thought it may be worth considering. I always keep a few around and they are a bigger part of the livestock industry in central/West Texas where my family is from. Stocking rate is 7:1 to that of cattle and I cull strictly on parasite resistance which has been a stumbling block in my humid climate. I generally figure on a 150% crop annually, breeding for 3 crops every 2 years and 50% twins. So for every calf I could raise 10 lambs/kids. Current market price is $2-2.50 per lb with 10 head weighing in @ 600-700 lbs. Input costs are very low but infrastructure such as fence is higher. Input on any other species also welcome.

Most of us would only have to have a change of attitude to make this a successful venture. I know quite a few folks that run sheep and goats and wouldn't have a cow on the place. Definitely something to consider. Did have a friend that got involved in it and was doing pretty well until he got hooked up with a "camel jock" sheep and goat trader who took him for a cleaning. Guess those folks are not limited to the cattle business.
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

ricebeltrancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ricebeltrancher » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:05 pm

You see a LOT more sheep and goats west of 35 than cattle since the drought. We have family members that made the switch and are doing very well. With premium commercial bred hair ewes being around $200-250, you can easily pay for her with the first lamb crop if she has twins. If you have the right fence and can control the predators, it makes a whole lot of sense.
“Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
― Ronald Reagan

Return to “Beginners Board”