Heifer immune to turbo wire help

The place to start if you are new!
Angus86
Beginner
Beginner

Heifer immune to turbo wire help

Postby Angus86 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:00 am

My group of heifers have been rotated with poly wire and a parmak 12v that hooks to a 12v battery with a separate solar panel. I have one out of 9 that goes right under the polywire with no effect the other 8 won't go near it. I have a cheap light tester and it goes up to 7k volts and I am getting the max. So I bought over 2k feet of turbowire and a geared reel and moved them and added another ground rod and the heifer still goes under with no change. What am I missing? Please help the wire literally just runs down her back and she doesn't even flinch and no I haven't touched the wire and can't find anyone else to volunteer.

I am probably using 800 feet in this run, nothing touching the wire and the wire is held up with pigtail posts and I am using galvanized steel rods.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Heifer immune to turbo wire help

Postby dun » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:05 am

I had one really lovely heifer that I bought at a production sale. Broke my heart (and hurt my wallet) but she was the same way. Ended up hauling her to the salebarn. Even 12 gauge solid wire that was reading 8.9k volts didn;t affect her. Had a steer a few years ago that was the same way. He acted like he enjoyed hearing the snap and crackle as the wire passed over his spine.
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Angus86
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Angus86 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:11 am

Yes even after a rain and she's soaked I hear it cracking on her and she doesn't respond.I thought the overpriced turbo wire was the ticket and now I feel like a fool. I guess there is no fixing it other than getting rid of her.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has experienced this. On the plus side the others do not follow her lead at all.

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:18 am

If it were me I'd add another steel/real wire 6" below the poly wire and hook up a really hot charger ( 12 joule) and light her up.
If that didn't hot wire break her then she'd be gone

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:25 am

So, you're saying you have a masochistic cow?

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:03 am

You don't have to grab it to test it just get a long stem of greenish grass and hold it on the wire well away and place the other hand on the ground to make the earth and then work the grass up so wire gets closer to your hand and you will just star to feel tingling when about 3-4" from your hand but depends how juicy the stem is and how moist the ground. If you start well away and work up you won't get a big shock.

Ken

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:33 am

I've seen a person or 2 over the years that can grab onto hot wire and hold it as if they're not affected by it at all either. No idea why, but some can just live with it.

And if its half way moist conditions, you don't even need to touch the ground with the grass trick, you can still feel it, just standing there.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:48 am

How many conductors in the turbo wire?
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:46 am

dun wrote:How many conductors in the turbo wire?

9 I think.
J & D Cattle

msplmtneer
Rancher
Rancher
Location: Where the rockets rattle your windows. Fl but my heart in WV.

Postby msplmtneer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:04 am

I knew that could check the fuse box by screwing out a fuse and sticking his finger in the socket also he could wire a house with the power on. :tiphat:

Angus86
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Angus86 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:19 am

dun wrote:How many conductors in the turbo wire?

9 mixed metal

Claimed to be 40x more conductive then standard polywire.

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:30 am

Shave her back. The hair seems to prevent the full effect for some. Get a set of clippers and take her entire top line down to the skin. You want her skin to contact the wire directly. It worked for us, the one time I had one slip under wire. After we clipped her down, she got zapped and never tried it again.
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:09 pm

msplmtneer wrote:I knew that could check the fuse box by screwing out a fuse and sticking his finger in the socket also he could wire a house with the power on. :tiphat:

I knew someone that did that....once.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
"The hottest places in Hades are for those who in time of great moral crises remain neutral" Dante

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:17 pm

boondocks wrote:So, you're saying you have a masochistic cow?

Yes. I had one that would step over the single wire and then look back for his herd mates. He would just twitch every time the energizer pulsed. :cboy:

Standard advise is 5,000 V minimum. Varies a bit with how hungry they are.
With a strong energizer and a long fence -- you can still have high voltage on one end and with a short on the other. Need a smart tester w/ amps indicated.
Lowering the single wire sometimes works with young stock that go under. There are more unders than overs in the cattle world. After that they get on the trailer.
Stocker Steve

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:26 pm

My answer is a bigger energizer. Or maybe a neighbor has one that you could borrow for a short time. I am thinking the 36 or 63 joule monster energizers, in a small pen. If that doesn't teach them to obey, then nothing will.
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Return to “Beginners Board”