0 x
This IS my first rodeo.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: Heifer immune to turbo wire help

Postby callmefence » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:05 pm

:cowboy:

Seriously now. add a wire so she can't go under.
If she still won't fit with your setup get rid of her.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:33 pm

she may be wearing rubber boots ..
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:11 pm

I've been zapped and good wearing rubber boots!

I think shaving the back and neck is a great, cheap start.. and yes, check the grounds... grounding the fencer right is often the difference between a hot line and just a warm one
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:38 pm

Before you go to the added expense of another charger,try this.Add another wire halfway to the ground and do not connect it to the charger.Instead connect it to a good ground.Maybe your soil is too dry to transfer the shock back to the ground system or the ground system still isn't quite enough.Or go ahead and charge both wires if you think the ground is working.
According to Par Mak's website,the model you have should put out the same joules as a ParMak 12v solar.
Should you decide to get another charger and have AC available, an SE 5 or Mark 8 would light her up provided the ground is sufficent.
Last edited by JW IN VA on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:43 pm

Also hear a deep cycle battery works better than an ordinary auto battery.
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:35 am

MarkM wrote:Do you have a good ground setup?

You don't get 7000 volts with a bad ground.
A rotational grazier can not afford to add a second wire everywhere for one animal.
Big energizers are a good investment, but my Parmak was at 8700 volts yesterday. That is enough.
0 x
Stocker Steve

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:44 am

Without trying to insult your intelligence,have you checked voltage along the wire or just at the beginning?I've had polywire break in a kink and be dead past it although it showed high voltage at the charger.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:46 am

JW IN VA wrote:Without trying to insult your intelligence,have you checked voltage along the wire or just at the beginning?I've had polywire break in a kink and be dead past it although it showed high voltage at the charger.

2x
0 x
Stocker Steve

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:52 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
JW IN VA wrote:Without trying to insult your intelligence,have you checked voltage along the wire or just at the beginning?I've had polywire break in a kink and be dead past it although it showed high voltage at the charger.

2x

X 3. Check it several places along the whole stretch, then if it is good, she needs to take a permanent vacation to someone elses' place. One that won't stay is nothing more than a trouble maker that will teach the smart ones that it's not so bad to get a zap and get out. How much is your time worth to go getting her in all the time; and can she get out to where she can cause some serious problems, like on a road or into someone's yard or something?
0 x

Angus86
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Angus86 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:20 pm

Yes I always check the beginning middle and end and my readings are consistent. I think adding a wire to the middle where she can't just throw the top wire over her back is the only way to retrain her.

She also follows me and will exit and enter at all different points Including this just tested. Thanks for everyone opinions and advice it has been most helpful. I may just trade her with a neighbor who doesn't use electric.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:04 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:

A rotational grazier can not afford to add a second wire everywhere for one animal.
Big energizers are a good investment, but my Parmak was at 8700 volts yesterday. That is enough.

Yes, you can when there's no real load on it.. volts only makes the spark happen, amps makes it hurt which is why static even though it's high voltage isn't nearly as painful as a fencer.. it just doesn't have the amperage behind it.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:56 pm

We have noticed calves go under electric wire when small,always thought maybe the hair on the back was thicker(?).When they got bigger,they stopped.
0 x

MarkM
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MarkM » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:

Yes, you can when there's no real load on it.. volts only makes the spark happen, amps makes it hurt which is why static even though it's high voltage isn't nearly as painful as a fencer.. it just doesn't have the amperage behind it.

This.
0 x
This IS my first rodeo.

Return to “Beginners Board”