The place to start if you are new!
callmefence
GURU
GURU

bull strategy

Postby callmefence » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:42 am

I run bulls year round.
Here's my question.

Two bulls. Registered black Angus. Very similar in breeding.

One is 5 . Good smooth operator, keeps everything knocked up but the horses. Had to pull a few of his calves. But only on heifers and easy pulls.

Two is yearling bull just turned out. Maybe virgin. Although I believe he's seen a little action.

One needs to be moved to another group of cattle. Pasture is 30 miles away, and cattle are pretty much left to themselves.
There's 23 bred cows. Calving from right now through early summer. These are all older proven reliable cows.

At home is around the same number, but mostly heifers, first calf pairs, and new cattle.

Which bull where?
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: bull strategy

Postby TCRanch » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:39 am

Do you know the EPD's? I'd keep the one with the highest calving ease in the pasture with more heifers. Plan B: you already know how the 5 year old operates; personally I'd feel more comfortable putting him with the older proven cows that is 30 miles away. If you don't have much of an idea what kind of calves the younger bull will throw, I'd want his herd closer to keep an eye on them.

farmerjan
Rancher
Rancher

Postby farmerjan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:45 am

TCRanch wrote:Do you know the EPD's? I'd keep the one with the highest calving ease in the pasture with more heifers. Plan B: you already know how the 5 year old operates; personally I'd feel more comfortable putting him with the older proven cows that is 30 miles away. If you don't have much of an idea what kind of calves the younger bull will throw, I'd want his herd closer to keep an eye on them.

X2

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:47 am

yea tc nailed it
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:06 pm

All things equal.... I'm thinking older bull on older cows. But then, my experience, sometimes older bulls that don't understand where "home" is tend to wander some. I just brought my 5 year old back home to remind him perimeter fencing isn't to be messed with....
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:43 pm

Does the yearlings EPD's suggest he will be suitable for heifers?

Ken

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:50 pm

One other thing I thought of: we pulled one of the best heifer bulls we've ever had because he was just too darn big for the heifers. Fortunately we never had an injury but saw a couple go down & that was his last year on heifers. Some bulls act like gentlemen; this one did not. :2cents:

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:01 pm

TCRanch wrote:Do you know the EPD's? I'd keep the one with the highest calving ease in the pasture with more heifers. Plan B: you already know how the 5 year old operates; personally I'd feel more comfortable putting him with the older proven cows that is 30 miles away. If you don't have much of an idea what kind of calves the younger bull will throw, I'd want his herd closer to keep an eye on them.

wbvs58 wrote:Does the yearlings EPD's suggest he will be suitable for heifers?

Ken

https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... 3Gyg%3d%3d

https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... F8Kg%3d%3d
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:10 pm

callmefence wrote:

Ken

Oooooh. That's a game changer. Personally, I wouldn't use either of those bulls on a heifer but CED +3 is better than 0.

ez14.
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ez14. » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:31 pm

TCRanch wrote:
callmefence wrote:

Ken

Oooooh. That's a game changer. Personally, I wouldn't use either of those bulls on a heifer but CED +3 is better than 0.
true! but i would still want the bull that i didn't know about close to home!

if it were me i would try and find a way to have a small sample batch of cows bred by the new bull first (close to home) then put him on the older cows (assuming things went well with the sample batch)

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:41 am

I'd let the young bull loose on the old cows, they grow into the job. I use nothing but yearling bulls to clean up on my cows. The only time I have had any problems is when I have been late putting them in and all the young bull calves are tailing the cow in heat and trying to jump her and they get a bit peed off about and then won't stand for the bigger bull to do his job, older bulls will be more dominant. If they are all steers then no problem.

Ken

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:04 am

callmefence wrote:

Ken

K&B Tomahawk 408
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:22 pm

You calve year round and thats where you will stay if you put that young bull on the older cows in my opinion. He will get them bred but it will take time. Thats quite a few animals for a youngster.

Return to “Beginners Board”