Hay tarps

The place to start if you are new!
tncattle
GURU
GURU

Hay tarps

Postby tncattle » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:02 am

Trying to find a place to buy a tarps from. Looking online there seems to be an endless amount of choices and throwing a dart at a board with all their names on it seems like the only way. Anybody have experience and recommend anyone?

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Re: Hay tarps

Postby Lucky_P » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:33 am

We've used some that were recycled billboards or shipping container covers for years. Not sure I can remember the name(s), as we've bought from at least two sources. Haytarps.com, or billboardhaytarps.com, maybe?
Still have some that are pretty OK after probably 5-6 years or more of use... but the suckers are heavy to be pulling up & over on a regular basis. getting 'em secured so that they don't slip or slide off is a PITB.
Finally had a hay barn built, but still end up tarping 'overflow' from time to time, and feed the tarped stuff first.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:10 am

You normally can find the billboard covers on Ebay and often times they are brand new.
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:33 pm

We used some that are haysaver or something like that. They aer a couple of layers of woven mesh so the hay breaths and doesn;t get musty. I was really surprised to find that they really are a water proof
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:34 pm

We have had good luck with one from Super tarps and the billboard tarps.

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:52 am

Do you have to insure the tarp stays off the hay to keep it from molding? I need to cover some hay if possible and don't see a barn in the near future. Maybe some pics of your setups, what worked, what didn't?
buckwheat

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:25 am

I use the white/black silage tarps. They are 40 by 100. I cut them in half making two 40 by 50 tarps because 40 by 100 is just too heavy. I stack the hay 3, 2, 1. I use big bale twine (it is heavier and doesn't cut into the tarp) with an old tire tied to hold about a foot or so off the ground to hold the tarp in place. I put a twine about every ten feet or so with about 3 of them on the ends of the stack. In a strong wind they flop around some but I never lose the tarp.

Farmgirl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farmgirl » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:55 am

I don't have a good lead on tarps but the hay anchors we bought are fantastic!
hayanchor.com

Kinda pricey but they held the tarps in place. Should be reusable for several years.

Farmgirl

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:00 pm

Whatever you do, do NOT let the heavy billboard/shipping-container tarps go all the way to the ground... you need some space for air circulation, or else moisture coming up from the ground will constantly condense on the underside and rot the hay... I found that out the hard way.

Return to “Beginners Board”