Calf with runs

The place to start if you are new!
Bub
Cowhand
Cowhand

Calf with runs

Postby Bub » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:01 pm

I have a calf that has the runs with blood mixed with it the stool looks like snot with streaks of blood mixed in I gave it a shot of al 300 is there any thing more I can do I just noticed it today

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Calf with runs

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:37 pm

Bub wrote:I have a calf that has the runs with blood mixed with it the stool looks like snot with streaks of blood mixed in I gave it a shot of al 300 is there any thing more I can do I just noticed it today

Diarrhea (scours) can be bacterial or viral. LA 300 is oxytetracyline. Might be helpful for Escherichia coli forms of scours. It is not effective for viral causes of scours such as coronavirus or rotavirus.

It may be necessary to provide fluids and electrolytes until the calf develops an immune response if it is viral. Use an esophageal tube if necessary to administer the electrolytes. Tractor Supply store or similar farm supply stores have packets of electrolytes.

It could also be a protozoan parasite like coccidia. In which case you need to use a product like corrid. The active ingredient is amprolium.

midTN_Brangusman
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:41 pm

I shot of Nuflor and a tubing of electrolytes should do the trick.
Backward B Ranch
Registered Brangus Cattle

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:56 pm

midTN_Brangusman wrote:I shot of Nuflor and a tubing of electrolytes should do the trick.

Nuflor will not provide any action on viral diarrhea. If bacterial, it is probably a step up from LA 300 but lots of scours/diarrhea is due to virus.

midTN_Brangusman
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:01 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
midTN_Brangusman wrote:I shot of Nuflor and a tubing of electrolytes should do the trick.

Nuflor will not provide any action on viral diarrhea. If bacterial, it is probably a step up from LA 300 but lots of scours/diarrhea is due to virus.

My vet that has practiced for 40 plus years would disagree. Had the same situation on my place about a month ago and this was what he recommended. Cleared him up
Backward B Ranch
Registered Brangus Cattle

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:10 pm

Bud,

Nuflor is an effective antibiotic. It is not an antiviral. If the condition you describe is viral, nuflor will provide no efficacy.

The following is information from the Merck Animal Health website:

Florfenicol (nuflor, is the trade name) is a novel, broad-spectrum antibiotic discovered and developed by Merck Animal Health. It is approved for veterinary use in treating BRD and foot rot.

Florfenicol is distinctly different from other antibacterials used in animal health. It is chemically similar to chloramphenicol but has no human safety risks.

The important point: its an antibacterial, not an antiviral.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:32 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Bud,

Nuflor is an effective antibiotic. It is not an antiviral. If the condition you describe is viral, nuflor will provide no efficacy.

Florfenicol (nuflor, is the trade name) is a novel, broad-spectrum antibiotic discovered and developed by Merck Animal Health. It is approved for veterinary use in treating BRD and foot rot.

Florfenicol is distinctly different from other antibacterials used in animal health. It is chemically similar to chloramphenicol but has no human safety risks.

Hello Ron , is the 3rd time the charm ??
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:07 pm

There's always Sustain III calf boluses (1 per 50 lbs) & electrolytes. If it doesn't clear up, take a sample to your vet & he/she will take it from there.

TennesseeTuxedo
GURU
GURU

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:10 pm

M-5 wrote:

Kettle meet pot.
The more I read here the less I know.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:27 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
M-5 wrote:

Kettle meet pot.

I beg your pardon. Ive learn from my mistakes the first time. What is it they say about doing the same wrong thing over and over and expected a different result?
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:48 pm

TCRanch wrote:There's always Sustain III calf boluses (1 per 50 lbs) & electrolytes. If it doesn't clear up, take a sample to your vet & he/she will take it from there.

Sustain III Boluses are antibacterial. I use them rather than an injectable antibiotic because Sulfamethazine is a broad spectrum antibacterial. For bacterial scours, it has worked well for me.

Bud: I think it needs to be noted, it is not uncommon to see soft feces and mucus. Even a little blood is not alarming. You have to make a determination if the magnitude of the condition requires intervention.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:55 pm

M-5 wrote:

I didn't know he had been banned again?
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

TennesseeTuxedo
GURU
GURU

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:17 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
M-5 wrote:

I didn't know he had been banned again?

Who? M-5, he's a known offender.
The more I read here the less I know.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:56 pm

The best way to know, exactly what type of issue you're dealing with, is to take a sample to your vet, even your local small animal vet should be able to tell from a fecal sample what you're dealing with. Then you'll know which direction to go........ antibiotic, antiviral or benign neglect.
Live each day as if it were your last.

farmerjan
Rancher
Rancher

Postby farmerjan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:29 pm

I agree with having the vet do a fecal, but if that is not an easy alternative, I also prefer to use some type of bolus like sustain so that it goes directly to the gut tract. I have often found that if I see blood then I am usually dealing with coccidiosis and a couple of doses of corid will do the trick. Again, it goes directly to the gut tract. If it is viral, I don't know of any way to really treat it except for supportive with electrolytes and all to keep it from getting weak. I think that there has been some use of anti-biotics, but don't know if they only help to prevent a secondary bacterial infection. There is a vaccination that can be given to a cow pre-calving for the rota and corona viruses, and I believe there is something you can give to day old calves also. I usually have the coccidia and occasionally an e-coli to deal with.

Return to “Beginners Board”