Calf with runs

The place to start if you are new!
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Calf with runs

Postby TCRanch » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:59 am

farmerjan wrote:I agree with having the vet do a fecal, but if that is not an easy alternative, I also prefer to use some type of bolus like sustain so that it goes directly to the gut tract. I have often found that if I see blood then I am usually dealing with coccidiosis and a couple of doses of corid will do the trick. Again, it goes directly to the gut tract. If it is viral, I don't know of any way to really treat it except for supportive with electrolytes and all to keep it from getting weak. I think that there has been some use of anti-biotics, but don't know if they only help to prevent a secondary bacterial infection. There is a vaccination that can be given to a cow pre-calving for the rota and corona viruses, and I believe there is something you can give to day old calves also. I usually have the coccidia and occasionally an e-coli to deal with.

We used to vaccinate the pregnant cows with Scour Bos 9 prior to calving but we now give each calf a First Defense bolus, preferably within 12 hours and rarely have scours (or at least nothing that warrants treatment).
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:41 am

If you already have Nuflor on hand try a normal dosage of the stuff orally. Have no idea why it works but it did for us when we had scours other than milk scours. Can;t hurt and just might help.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:06 am

Bright Raven wrote:Bud,

Nuflor is an effective antibiotic. It is not an antiviral. If the condition you describe is viral, nuflor will provide no efficacy.

The following is information from the Merck Animal Health website:

Florfenicol (nuflor, is the trade name) is a novel, broad-spectrum antibiotic discovered and developed by Merck Animal Health. It is approved for veterinary use in treating BRD and foot rot.

Florfenicol is distinctly different from other antibacterials used in animal health. It is chemically similar to chloramphenicol but has no human safety risks.

The important point: its an antibacterial, not an antiviral.

Whatever you say "BUD", how many years have you been practicing medicine?

This is the exact reason we have so many lurkers and not many new members giving advice based on their experience. There is always a know-it-all to bash their thoughts.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:49 am

Since antibacterials such as oxytetracycline, draxxin, nuflor, sustain III , etc. provide no direct treatment of viruses, an alternative is to vaccinate. Many viruses can be effectively vaccinated against. In the case of calf viral diarrhea/scours, there are several vaccines. The one I use is Calf Guard by Zoetis. It has some advantages:

1. It comes as a MLV preparation. Modified Live Virus preparations provide a good immune response.
2. It comes in 3 mL individual doses.
3. It can be given to the cow/heifer 60 days before partum or it can be given orally to the calf in the first 24 hours preferably in the first 8 hours post partum.

0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:34 am

midTN_Brangusman wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:Bud,

Nuflor is an effective antibiotic. It is not an antiviral. If the condition you describe is viral, nuflor will provide no efficacy.

The following is information from the Merck Animal Health website:

Florfenicol (nuflor, is the trade name) is a novel, broad-spectrum antibiotic discovered and developed by Merck Animal Health. It is approved for veterinary use in treating BRD and foot rot.

Florfenicol is distinctly different from other antibacterials used in animal health. It is chemically similar to chloramphenicol but has no human safety risks.

The important point: its an antibacterial, not an antiviral.

Whatever you say "BUD", how many years have you been practicing medicine?

This is the exact reason we have so many lurkers and not many new members giving advice based on their experience. There is always a know-it-all to bash their thoughts.

I don't see that you were bashed and I'm guessing your name isn't Bud.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:51 am

OP was bud I think?

Have we ever been able to cure a virus? Or only prevent?
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:42 pm

Bigfoot wrote:OP was bud I think?

Have we ever been able to cure a virus? Or only prevent?

Yes, cure and prevent. Vaccines have been effective against viruses. The example most often used is the smallpox virus.

The last known natural case was in Somalia in 1977. Since then, the only known cases were caused by a laboratory accident in 1978 in Birmingham, England, which killed one person and caused a limited outbreak. Smallpox was officially declared eradicated in 1979.
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:53 pm

And now we can mod live a calf, sucking a cow with unknown mod live vacc history?

Or am I misremembering that that is not what is acceptable?
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:57 pm

talltimber wrote:And now we can mod live a calf, sucking a cow with unknown mod live vacc history?

Or am I misremembering that that is not what is acceptable?

There is a risk of causing abortion when using a MLV for Fetal Protection. It is not a risk when using a MLV to provide immunity for Rotaviruses or Coronaviruses.

PS: the Fetal Protection includes the following diseases caused by viruses :
IBR, BVD Types I & II, PI3, and BRSV.
Last edited by Bright Raven on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:59 pm

Ah. Good to know.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:07 pm

talltimber wrote:Ah. Good to know.

In fact, the vaccine (MLV) for rotavirus and coronavirus (calf guard) is administered in the last 60 days of pregnancy and at least 30 days prior to partum in order for the vaccine to elicit an immune response so she can pass it on to the calf in the colostrum.
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:13 pm

I have never used any of it myself. My vet gave my heifers mod live vacc prior to breeding this fall. That's the only experience I have with it.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:20 pm

talltimber wrote:I have never used any of it myself. My vet gave my heifers mod live vacc prior to breeding this fall. That's the only experience I have with it.

That was likely Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5. Comes in a broad range of products that cover other organisms such as Leptospira virus. It is prescribed prior to breeding. Provides fetal protection. The FP 5 means fetal protection against the 5 most common viruses that cause the diseases I referenced above. Which are: IBR, BVD Types I & II, PI3, and BRSV.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”