The place to start if you are new!
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Newbie

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Florida cowgirl wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:You ask Joe he will say leave the bulls in year round you ask Bob he will say just put them in for so long. Lots of people have different ways don't make it wrong just how they prefer to do it.

I didn't realize there was such different opinions but there is a few ranchers near by. The problem is most of the ranchers hold their cards close to their chest. Diesel Beef being a woman I certainly wouldn't give out where I actually live on a forum. This forum is great and I appreciate all the help but being new to forums and watching to much TV about horror stories about the Internet I guess I am a little paranoid.

Every few years we start to plan a CT get together and it hasn't worked out yet. Cowgirl, you might need a few shooting lessons if your that paranoid. One thing is for sure you never know who your talking to over the Internet. Two members on here ended up being my neighbors and till I put the town I live in, none of us knew. So far I've met at least 15 different members from CT and everyone has been great. I have plans to make a road trip and meet a few more CT members one of these days. It's hard to believe how busy you can stay doing nothing.
Cows are good, more cows are better.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:19 pm

In Florida I can't see any reason to pull the bulls. If a cow gets out of time to much you still gotta fair chance of selling her as a bred instead of open.
And fwiw they buy calves year round.
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:41 pm

Florida cowgirl wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:You ask Joe he will say leave the bulls in year round you ask Bob he will say just put them in for so long. Lots of people have different ways don't make it wrong just how they prefer to do it.

I didn't realize there was such different opinions but there is a few ranchers near by. The problem is most of the ranchers hold their cards close to their chest. Diesel Beef being a woman I certainly wouldn't give out where I actually live on a forum. This forum is great and I appreciate all the help but being new to forums and watching to much TV about horror stories about the Internet I guess I am a little paranoid.

Yeah there are lots of different opinions. You will just have to sift through them and see what works for you and your operation.

I am a guy and I wouldn't give out my location. I've met one person on here and we met at a Beefmaster sale.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

farmerjan
Rancher
Rancher

Postby farmerjan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:31 pm

FL cowgirl, I don't blame you for not "giving out your location" I think someone like dieselbeef was asking just to see if he was in an area to have known your dad. He lost his wife and we all tried to be as supporting as we could to him and his son, so believe me that MOST everyone on here seems like pretty decent people. I am fairly new on here and have learned alot and have really felt welcome, and yeah, I'm female. I'm not giving directions to my house, but it helps to know general areas. You can always PM someone with more details if you want more specifics. And if someone is close to you, they might very well be willing to come by and give you their opinion face to face, or offer some help.
Just check some of the threads on the horrible fires in KS,OK and areas to realize that many are doing all they can to HELP out a fellow farmer/rancher. (Longshot and Fires threads in coffee shop)

Florida cowgirl
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Florida cowgirl » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:20 pm

farmerjan wrote:FL cowgirl, I don't blame you for not "giving out your location" I think someone like dieselbeef was asking just to see if he was in an area to have known your dad. He lost his wife and we all tried to be as supporting as we could to him and his son, so believe me that MOST everyone on here seems like pretty decent people. I am fairly new on here and have learned alot and have really felt welcome, and yeah, I'm female. I'm not giving directions to my house, but it helps to know general areas. You can always PM someone with more details if you want more specifics. And if someone is close to you, they might very well be willing to come by and give you their opinion face to face, or offer some help.
Just check some of the threads on the horrible fires in KS,OK and areas to realize that many are doing all they can to HELP out a fellow farmer/rancher. (Longshot and Fires threads in coffee shop)
I just had a real bad experience and I knew that answer came off as terrible. I live outside Umatilla and we are also in the grove business but we are pretty sure we have greening so my Dad was also in the Orange Grove biz. His name was Mark Lucas. Sorry I came off as so paranoid .

farmerjan
Rancher
Rancher

Postby farmerjan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:38 pm

Never hurts to be careful. And a bad experience will make you more careful. As a "newer" member, welcome here to world of "crazy cattle people" !!!!!

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:57 am

safe aint paranoid.....just curious as to where anyone in fl is..haven't ever met anyone local on here yet...
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Florida cowgirl
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Florida cowgirl » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:55 am

Outside Umatilla on 44A. Next to Don Monns.

cattle60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby cattle60 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:56 am

:welcome: Better always to be safe than sorry. Everyone needs to be on the safe side now in this world.
We (brother and I) used to leave the bull in year round but since he passed a few years ago I have started to pull my bull so I can get my calves closer together and more uniform, being small, not a lot of calves, if they are close and can sell together I believe it helps the price. Also wean,shots,and castrated helps too.

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:05 am

i just came from a calf value class..there is no value to the middle guy..the lot between us and the feedlot...to do any backgrounding except the castration. all the vaccinations will get done before we ship em to Kansas or whever theyre going because he has no idea which shots they got if any.

if you load off the cow..wean on the trlr deal...do it the day of the sale to avoid shrink...or else wean and hold that calf for 120 days after separation to regain size and weight

this was the owner of quincy cattle company that gave the class

maximum value is a large frame castrated calf at least 120 days off the cow... typically and 8-9 mo old calf.

the problem lies in if we can get enough weight back on em
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

cattle60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby cattle60 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:23 am

I believe what you said is true but my way of thinking is that I will do my best to market a good calf. If it don't help then at least I know what I did. I am always at the sale and tell them what vacs they have had including the maker. If they elect to re-vac then that is their choice.
Where or how did you find out about that class, I would like to try to catch one in my neck of the woods.
Always to get the weight back on them gonna be an objective.

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:25 am

it was posted with the sale sheets I get emailed to me
einstein

cattle60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby cattle60 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:40 am

Thanks, Will just have to keep my ears open.

Florida cowgirl
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Florida cowgirl » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:12 pm

dieselbeef wrote:safe aint paranoid.....just curious as to where anyone in fl is..haven't ever met anyone local on here yet...

Diesel so how far are you from me since I do not no where You are located?

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:21 pm

my profile and avatar say Myakka city..im gulf coast..bout 40 mi east of Bradenton...20 mi west of wauchula
einstein

Return to “Beginners Board”