Young bull is testing me

The place to start if you are new!
NonTypicalCPA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Young bull is testing me

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:20 pm

I've got a soon to be 2 year old Belted Galloway bull that I need some advice on. First some background - I've only got two cows and an 11 month old bull calf besides my bull. He comes from very good genetics, in fact his half brother by the same sire just won a national competition. He too was shown until I bought him last July at 14 months old. He's covered my two cows and has been in the pasture with everyone since last July. He's been great up until a month ago. The belties are a pretty docile breed, which is why I chose them, and I at times have brushed them including the bull. The last time I brushed him, when I stopped he tried try to push me around a bit. Also he's started to toss his head at me.

So he's in need of an attitude adjustment and as he is my first bull I'm not sure exactly what to do. The last time he came up to me on the opposite side of the fence and started acting up I hollered and jumped at him, which did sent him on his way. I'm done with any grooming of him. What else do I need to do to teach him that I'm the boss, especially when I'm in the pasture with him? I've considered leasing him out so he has more cows to keep him busy. Would only having a couple at his young age cause him to get frisky resulting in this behavior? When I started I had planned on going the AI route, but it looked to be more work than owning a bull, so here I am.
0 x

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Young bull is testing me

Postby 5S Cattle » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:27 pm

Feed bucket upside his head usually does the trick
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:43 pm

You need to teach him to respect your space.... and quit brushing him. A bull that's too gentle is as dangerous as one that's not gentle enough.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Personally for 2 cows id just be doing AI instead of keeping a bull.. They become bored and destructive really easy.. However, An ax handle works as well... IMO you brushing him is tempting fate. I would ship the bull boy a cow in its place and AI and leave the bull out of the equation.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:09 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:I would ship the bull boy a cow in its place and AI and leave the bull out of the equation.

2X
sell or trade him
0 x
Stocker Steve

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:20 pm

I have zero tolerance for a bull with an attitude and life is too short. And hospital bills are just too darn expensive. My bulls are very gentle; hand-feeders, I pet them a little and our herd sire allowed me to take his temperature in the pasture (3 times! long story) BUT they also respect my personal space (unlike the cows but that's a different story). One of our new, younger bulls gets a little too close occasionally and a thump on the nose is all it takes. But there's a difference between docile/friendly and aggression. Shaking his head at you is not a good sign. At this stage, your bull probably won't "get" the new rules: he's been essentially a pet, he's still young and I agree that he's probably bored. You can certainly try to outsmart or bully him into submission - and it may work - but personally I would ship him. If you don't want to go the AI route, your 11 month old bull calf should be able to handle 2 cows.
0 x

ez14.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ez14. » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:12 pm

a crowbar!
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:57 pm

Pitchfork to the nose usually only takes once! B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:12 am

sell his be nice asap.....
this bull is not afraid of you and at this point will not become afraid of you....
for all the weapons listed above....
you darn well better not miss or you are going to be toe jam....
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

NonTypicalCPA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:56 am

I'm not ready to give up on him yet, I've been firm with him the last couple days not allowing him to walk up into my space and he's responded well. I'll keep a close eye on him and go from there.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:12 pm

My bulls are all docile, especially my homeraised guy.. One thing I NEVER do is pet him on top of his head.. they like it too much and encourages them to toss their head around.. not good. If he wants attention I'll rub his butt, his belly, or the underside of his neck on occasion, he is a big lumbering beast.. I don't want him to be afraid of me... He gets a slap if he doesn't behave properly. but I don't think using a crowbar/axe handle would train him correctly if he's just being pesky.. being AGGRESSIVE warrants the heavy artillery though.
Start by paying less attention to his front end, give him a back/butt rub, he'll like that and trains him to face away from you more... That's just my two cents..
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:40 pm

like I have posted before my bulls learn real fast how far my arm can reach with a hot shot in my hand, they keep their distance. cows will be a problem to if they are pets that learn to be the boss. Cows, bulls, or any livestock must know who the boss is. That even goes for kids, now grandkids that's different.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:29 pm

BRYANT wrote:like I have posted before my bulls learn real fast how far my arm can reach with a hot shot in my hand, they keep their distance. cows will be a problem to if they are pets that learn to be the boss. Cows, bulls, or any livestock must know who the boss is. That even goes for kids, now grandkids that's different.

Yep. That's how I do it with bulls. As far as I'm concerned they can shake their head, paw, blow snot, whatever they want to do but they're going to figure out to go do it out of hotshot distance and most of them won't ever get any closer than that more than once. Young bulls are like teenage boys flexing their muscles. They'll test their boundaries as far as you let them but you can teach them manners before they turn into grown men.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:39 pm

The truth of the matter is you don't pet, rub or come into contact a bull. No matter how smart you think you are, or how tame you think your bull is, a bull is a massive unpredictable beast. Nesikep is giving some bad advice here and is going to get someone killed.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:21 am

I have to agree with grit. a ton of bull can accidentally kill you wanting to get scratched. or push a cow over you.

i like my cow gentle and quiet and I have had bulls I could touch.....but that bull must respect my space.

disposition has a genetic component as well.

breed is a possible factor as well....

therE is a fine line to walk between a bull who tolerates or likes human interaction and a bull who is not afraid of you and it takes a few bad experiences to be able to find that line......IF YOU SURVIVE THE TRAINING.
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Return to “Beginners Board”