Young bull is testing me

The place to start if you are new!
Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Young bull is testing me

Postby Ky cowboy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:09 pm

boondocks wrote:
Ky cowboy wrote:Don't trust anyone or anything. You'll live longer. Cows horses bulls dogs etc all are wild animals not matter what we think. Even the most take animal can hurt you intentionally or not

I've heard especially not to trust your microwave. Or any other appliances. In fact. I've sworn off vacuuming.

Not exactly were I was going

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:43 pm

If you know someone with a bigger herd why don't you make a trade for a heifer and retain some breeding rights for your cows. Another possibility is you said he was of real good bloodlines maybe put him at a place they draw semen give him something to do while he is not busy with your cows. I think keeping him with just two cows and the way y'all previously treated him is just asking for trouble. He may back off and act fine and you will drop your guard and it will just take once to end up with and expensive hospital bill or a funeral.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:13 pm

With only two cows I don't see how you can justify having a bull.
Go AI. If that is too much work maybe you are just not ready to have cows. I am not trying to be rude--just realistic.
Ryder

Deo Vindice

FiveOaksFarmGA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby FiveOaksFarmGA » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:03 pm

Take him to the Sale Barn, before he hurts/kills you or someone else.
Black Angus and Angus crosses
Custom Hay

FiveOaksFarmGA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby FiveOaksFarmGA » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:17 pm

Nesikep wrote:Tractors cause over 200 deaths per year while cows cause about 20... just to put it into perspective.. Nothing is absolutely safe
On another interesting note, COWS kill more people than bulls per year (slightly).. Granted there are a lot more of them too... So given a herd of 20 cows and 1 bull, your odds are probably about 50/50 on the attacker being a cow vs bull... I've seen a lot of people be FAR too unaware of their surroundings at our sale barn.. I had just unloaded a Longhorn bull and a couple steers, they were totally calm, people were avoiding that pen and walking in with a pair of Angus cows that were out to kill, and honestly, it's a wonder someone didn't get SLAMMED.. What I found staggering was that they didn't even REALIZE it.

Data from here
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5829a2.htm
and here
http://farminjuryresource.com/farming-e ... accidents/

While that may be true from a statistical standpoint, you need to put those numbers into perspective. Every farm generally has at least one tractor, and most farms have multiple tractors.

If you are born a male bovine, you have a 99% chance of being castrated shortly after birth, and one bull can sire the majority of modern day farmers entire herds.

The advice you gave about rubbing the bull... not very good. Especially to a person who is saying they have a bull showing aggression.

To the OP, you have a bull. You have an additional young bull that is hitting puberty. Your older bull is starting to establish his dominance over the herd to protect what he sees as his harem. If you are showing him any kind of affection, he will see you as one of two things: a threat to his harem, or part of his harem. Neither of those are going to be a good situation for you, or anyone else that is near. You may not like the advice you are getting, but you need to take that bull to the sale barn. It's good that you're asking for advice. None of us know everything there is to know, and the majority of us could do things differently than the way we "know" to do them.
Black Angus and Angus crosses
Custom Hay

Return to “Beginners Board”