Young bull is testing me

The place to start if you are new!
Rhune
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Young bull is testing me

Postby Rhune » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:19 pm

Two cows and bull... asking advice about how to deal with bulls on the internet. Don't mean to be rude but you sound pretty green. I would get that bull out of your pasture ASAP. Some of these guys have been dealing with bulls their entire life and probably could deal with your bull with very little risk. I would wager you don't have that experience. I am pretty new to ranching, did not grow up in it and would like to continue doing it. My first rule of ranching is "don't get killed". Everything else is secondary to that. You also got to think about who else might be in your fields, wife, kids, grandkids.
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:31 pm

Rhune, that's a good first rule no matter what you are trying to do.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

NonTypicalCPA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:13 pm

Yep I'm pretty green with cattle, but I'm guessing everyone on these boards was too at one point in time - not a good enough reason to give up in my opinion. Safety is why I'm on here asking questions, reading all that I can about bulls, watching videos, etc. I'm not going to take any chances with him. I've probably described his behavior worse than he's actually been. I've not allowed him to come into my personal space the last couple nights and he's been very respectful. Now if it turns out only having two or three cows and a bull is a poor combination, or if he gets progressively worse, then he'll move on down the road.

I appreciate all the input.
0 x

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:18 pm

some new people ask questions but only take advice if its what they want to hear. Its not the breed that makes them what they are its the animal, have seen Brahmans mean and seen them puppy dog tame
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:23 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:Yep I'm pretty green with cattle, but I'm guessing everyone on these boards was too at one point in time - not a good enough reason to give up in my opinion. Safety is why I'm on here asking questions, reading all that I can about bulls, watching videos, etc. I'm not going to take any chances with him. I've probably described his behavior worse than he's actually been. I've not allowed him to come into my personal space the last couple nights and he's been very respectful. Now if it turns out only having two or three cows and a bull is a poor combination, or if he gets progressively worse, then he'll move on down the road.

I appreciate all the input.

I think it is great that you are willing to ask when you are new. Most of the "guys" on here and some of us "gals", are mostly concerned about the safety part with someone "newer" to cattle and maybe not realizing how fast it can go south or become a disaster.
I don't think anyone is trying to get you to give up. Just to be safe and sensible when you don't have alot of experience. They can move quicker than lightning and you can get in a position to be hurt before you know it. All that said, make sure you are aware of where he is in relation to yourself and a quick exit if you need it. If he is respecting your space more, you may be fine. The 2 cows to a bull is a very low ratio and it is likely at his young age, that he is wanting more to do. Boredom is a big thing. I would rather see you keep 3 or 4 cows and use AI simply because another cow or two will be making you some money rather than feeding a bull for 12 months that you are only getting a couple of services out of. If you have a head catch of some sort to catch your cows, then AI is not that difficult. So if they are bred, and you get a couple of calves and get them bred back, then maybe sending to another home would be good. And he might realize that you are the boss, and settle down a bit.
I know bulls can be dangerous, but I also have had a couple that are pretty docile, and we finally shipped one that arthritis had become painful for him to get up and down, that I would have trusted far beyond several of the cows we have; even when he was younger. He was respectful, knew his job, but you could go out in the pasture and put grain down and he'd let you rub him and when it was done, just go off and be fine. I often would take the truck and trailer out there and open the doors and say "come on Bubba, load up and let's go see some girls" and on the trailer he would go.
I have a few cows that to this day I would never turn my back on even when they don't have a calf on them. They don't act mean, I just don't trust them. We had another bull that would just snort a little, and I was never comfortable with him even though he never really threatened me. Just be safe whether with the bull or the cows. The thing with the bulls, they can get territorial and then they will be more aggressive. Those are HIS cows.....
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:22 pm

I think I should clarify something here.. TAME, DOCILE, COOL-HEADED, etc are all SEPARATE character traits.. Just because a bull likes petting and scratching doesn't mean he's cool headed at all. With my bulls, I never trust one I didn't raise, I just don't know them well enough.. The last bull we bought was in a pen of 3.. the first one and probably the better bull blew snot at us and backed up, the second was unimpressive in character or build, and the one we got came up to the fence and licked us and was a decent animal.. We loaded him into the little 2 horse trailer calmly, and he preferred to lay down for the trip.. When we got home, I backed up into the corral where I had one docile cow, he got up, stretched, and moseyed out to see her.

Make the bull keep the distance from you that you're comfortable with, and keep an eye on them at all times... They can't speak, but they do have body language.. I really do believe that no bull charges without a warning sign, the trouble is we MISS the signs.

I've also had cows that were 'tame', but I wouldn't trust.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

djinwa
GURU
GURU

Postby djinwa » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:45 am

Problem with the advice here is it doesn't offer perspective.

Sure all bulls are potential killers, but so are all cows. Technically we should never walk the pasture with a cow in it.

I've read people telling a guy his pet jersey cow he'd milked for years might kill him.

Meanwhile we all jump in a missile and fly down the freeway at 70 mph and feel safe. Or jump on a horse, for goodness sake. Who came up with that idea?

Like Nesikep said, just learn their behavior and handle properly and teach respect as needed. Not every cow or bull needs beat over the head with a crowbar. That can create aggression where there was none.

And don't mess with them until you know them.

Wide spectrum of personalities in cows and bulls just like people. Timid to aggressive, wild to dog gentle, dumb to smart.
0 x
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
-Mahatma Ghandi

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:34 am

Tractors cause over 200 deaths per year while cows cause about 20... just to put it into perspective.. Nothing is absolutely safe
On another interesting note, COWS kill more people than bulls per year (slightly).. Granted there are a lot more of them too... So given a herd of 20 cows and 1 bull, your odds are probably about 50/50 on the attacker being a cow vs bull... I've seen a lot of people be FAR too unaware of their surroundings at our sale barn.. I had just unloaded a Longhorn bull and a couple steers, they were totally calm, people were avoiding that pen and walking in with a pair of Angus cows that were out to kill, and honestly, it's a wonder someone didn't get SLAMMED.. What I found staggering was that they didn't even REALIZE it.

Data from here
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5829a2.htm
and here
http://farminjuryresource.com/farming-e ... accidents/
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:00 am

djinwa wrote:
Or jump on a horse, for goodness sake. Who came up with that idea?

It sure wasn't my idea, horses are will kill you, that's why I ride a mule. :deadhorse: :deadhorse:
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:01 am

True Grit Farms wrote:The truth of the matter is you don't pet, rub or come into contact a bull. No matter how smart you think you are, or how tame you think your bull is, a bull is a massive unpredictable beast. Nesikep is giving some bad advice here and is going to get someone killed.

exactly.

a guy i know was killed by a bull a few years ago..
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:21 am

One other thing needs repeating, never get between a bull and cow. And don't work cattle from the middle of the pen.
Nesikep, I wish you the best but even a bull you raise can catch a whiff of something he wants. And if your between him and his property you better get out of the way. A bull is unpredictable and can't be trusted.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:16 am

True Grit Farms wrote:One other thing needs repeating, never get between a bull and cow. And don't work cattle from the middle of the pen.
Nesikep, .

?????? I don't know that's always possible
at the meat packing house I use to work for we had some 55 gal. drums setting a couple places in the bull pens that were full of cement. They worked real well to have something to get behind when I had a bull that wanted to kill me before I could kill him. I have worked some BAD, BAD bulls and they can do some damage, have had them so rank you could not get them to the kill floor, we had one that had to be killed in the lot he was so bad.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:20 am

Reminds me of the old Simmenthal bull Signal. When he was collected they had to use a cow for the mount animal, use a steer and he'ld go nuts. I stopped one day at the stud and they were replacing all of the 4 inch pipe around the arena leading to the mount station. They had made the mistake of leaving a steer n and when Signal came in he started bending those 4 inch pipes like they were soda straws. People ducked behind one and just flatten it trying to get to them. He was never a mellow bull but steers for mounting was way beyond his tolerance level.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:17 am

Don't trust anyone or anything. You'll live longer. Cows horses bulls dogs etc all are wild animals not matter what we think. Even the most take animal can hurt you intentionally or not
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:26 pm

Ky cowboy wrote:Don't trust anyone or anything. You'll live longer. Cows horses bulls dogs etc all are wild animals not matter what we think. Even the most take animal can hurt you intentionally or not

I've heard especially not to trust your microwave. Or any other appliances. In fact. I've sworn off vacuuming.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”