The place to start if you are new!
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Hay

Postby TexasBred » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:28 pm

FiveOaksFarmGA wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Texasmark wrote:My problem was finding it when you needed it and getting the quality you want. Most operators around here make their living with it. That presents problems in the quality aspect, especially when the operation is of such size they can't manage it all in a timely manner...aka mature hay, low protein, high flax, thick stems......, or they have a Bermuda hay patch in a river bottom somewhere and it never gets any attention other than baling and the baling period is way over the 30 day cut for max protein window.

So I tried growing my own and having it baled. That didn't work because when it's baling time everybody is busy so you can't get any custom guys over to do yours when you want them.

So I do my own, besides its good for me and the results are comforting....you don't have to worry about all of the above.

Actually you do. Everything you do should be working to eliminate "all of the above". Every old cow thinks her calf is the prettiest in the pasture. Every cattleman thinks his hay is the best he could possibly feed...but is it really???

Every hay buyer thinks they are experts on producing hay as well. That's why I provide the test and you decide to buy it or go elsewhere.

On behalf of good hay producers everywhere, I'd really like to apologize to you for whomever screwed you over so bad.

You don't owe me an apology and I've never been screwed on hay. I have always had hay tested and also buy it by the ton, not by the bale or roll. I've found most can't guess weight either. A good test gives me a lot of leverage in deciding what I buy. Don't use that much hay anymore but when I use to use 1500-1800 round bales a year it also allowed me to decide on hay for lactating cattle, dry cattle and heifers. A good hay test can be the best friend both a buyer and seller can have. Especially if you know how to read it. :nod:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:44 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
TexasBred wrote: Every old cow thinks her calf is the prettiest in the pasture. Every cattleman thinks his hay is the best he could possibly feed...but is it really???

I grow my own. Wish I didn't have to but the guys baling it for a living seem to care more about yield than quality and according to them its all fine horse quality hay. Growing it myself I know which hay is good and which is filler and I can feed accordingly. When the cows are calving I like to see their pies splatter when they hit the ground. After all, its what splatters that matters. After I stopped buying that fine horse quality hay my conception rate on a 45 day breeding schedule increased by 30% which showed me you can starve a cow when its belly is full of filler hay.

Exactly what I was saying. You still have the same potential problems as the custom baler but you're managing and cutting to get the best you can. And yes a cow can starve with a belly full of any kind of filler. It has no nutritional value, only fill factor.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:57 pm

There is a lot I don't know about hay but one thing I do know is just because you got a "bargain" on hay doesn't mean it didn't cost you a fortune. I learned that the hard way. Now I figure between the shyt I grow and the good stuff I grow I'm better prepared for the season. Of course, sometimes you can't help but grow filler. And for those who sell good hay I don't think are being paid enough.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:18 pm

Jogeephus wrote:There is a lot I don't know about hay but one thing I do know is just because you got a "bargain" on hay doesn't mean it didn't cost you a fortune. I learned that the hard way. Now I figure between the shyt I grow and the good stuff I grow I'm better prepared for the season. Of course, sometimes you can't help but grow filler. And for those who sell good hay I don't think are being paid enough.

The good thing about that filler hay....I had a bunch back in 2008 mostly due to army worms. Cows wouldn't eat it so I used it as gully plugs. By the time we got through with 2011 those plugs were eaten up. :lol:
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:09 am

1982vett wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:There is a lot I don't know about hay but one thing I do know is just because you got a "bargain" on hay doesn't mean it didn't cost you a fortune. I learned that the hard way. Now I figure between the shyt I grow and the good stuff I grow I'm better prepared for the season. Of course, sometimes you can't help but grow filler. And for those who sell good hay I don't think are being paid enough.

The good thing about that filler hay....I had a bunch back in 2008 mostly due to army worms. Cows wouldn't eat it so I used it as gully plugs. By the time we got through with 2011 those plugs were eaten up. :lol:

:lol: :lol: Never fails.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”