Buying steers or heifers?

The place to start if you are new!
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Buying steers or heifers?

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:46 pm

I got brave and turned a few of mine out on grass yesterday afternoon. They wandered for a while, and came back and stood with the others. Came to feed this morning, and this afternoon. I'll turn out a few more every afternoon till they're all out on grass.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:23 am

dieselbeef wrote:making money with all the answers is even easier..id just make my millions buying low and selling high and retire...

Didn't you just go to a school on this? I see a lot of Florida calves in my zip code, somebody must be turning a profit on them.
0 x
Success is not a station on the railroad where you get off and your life's work is complete. Success is the train itself ~ Allan Nation

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:51 pm

Ojp6 wrote:I'm just buying some calves to kick out on grass right now, but I will probably feed them a little bit too. I've got 10 bought so far 7 bulls and 3 heifers weighing in the 4s for about 1.05. Just the kind of calves I'm hoping will make number ones in 45-60 days so I can turn around and sell them and start looking for more just like them.

I'm betting the bulls will do a little better for me because there is very little difference in price in the bulls and the heifers that I am buying.

How are things looking for you guys that bought in early? Time to hold em or fold em?
0 x
Success is not a station on the railroad where you get off and your life's work is complete. Success is the train itself ~ Allan Nation

Ojp6
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ojp6 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:21 pm

I've sold a few, got about 30 left.

The ones I've sold did pretty good. I had some 598 lb bulls that cost 1.14 laid in that hadn't gained a lot because I bought them as fleshy bawling calves and didn't give them anything but grass for about 30 days. I sold them as weaned steers weighing 10 lbs more than they did when I bought them for 1.49 and about all I did was give them one round of shots and let them harden up a little bit.

One of the the guys that owns one of the barns I go to every week is supposed to let me know if he's got a deal for a bunch more on Thursday and if he can put a pretty good bottom on them I may sell 15 or 20 more.
0 x
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom - Dwight Eisenhower

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Ojp6 wrote:I've sold a few, got about 30 left.

The ones I've sold did pretty good. I had some 598 lb bulls that cost 1.14 laid in that hadn't gained a lot because I bought them as fleshy bawling calves and didn't give them anything but grass for about 30 days. I sold them as weaned steers weighing 10 lbs more than they did when I bought them for 1.49 and about all I did was give them one round of shots and let them harden up a little bit.

One of the the guys that owns one of the barns I go to every week is supposed to let me know if he's got a deal for a bunch more on Thursday and if he can put a pretty good bottom on them I may sell 15 or 20 more.

Sounds like a home run for 30 days. :D
0 x

Ojp6
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ojp6 » Tue May 09, 2017 11:34 pm

Yeah, I guess I would usually keep them a little bit longer to make sure they were gonna stay healthy but since they hadn't gotten sick yet i decided it was time to move them.
0 x
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom - Dwight Eisenhower

Return to “Beginners Board”