Buying steers or heifers?

The place to start if you are new!
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Buying steers or heifers?

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:46 pm

I got brave and turned a few of mine out on grass yesterday afternoon. They wandered for a while, and came back and stood with the others. Came to feed this morning, and this afternoon. I'll turn out a few more every afternoon till they're all out on grass.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

RanchMan90
Rancher
Rancher

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:23 am

dieselbeef wrote:making money with all the answers is even easier..id just make my millions buying low and selling high and retire...

Didn't you just go to a school on this? I see a lot of Florida calves in my zip code, somebody must be turning a profit on them.
We don't rent pigs ~ Augustus McCrae

RanchMan90
Rancher
Rancher

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:51 pm

Ojp6 wrote:I'm just buying some calves to kick out on grass right now, but I will probably feed them a little bit too. I've got 10 bought so far 7 bulls and 3 heifers weighing in the 4s for about 1.05. Just the kind of calves I'm hoping will make number ones in 45-60 days so I can turn around and sell them and start looking for more just like them.

I'm betting the bulls will do a little better for me because there is very little difference in price in the bulls and the heifers that I am buying.

How are things looking for you guys that bought in early? Time to hold em or fold em?

Ojp6
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ojp6 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:21 pm

I've sold a few, got about 30 left.

The ones I've sold did pretty good. I had some 598 lb bulls that cost 1.14 laid in that hadn't gained a lot because I bought them as fleshy bawling calves and didn't give them anything but grass for about 30 days. I sold them as weaned steers weighing 10 lbs more than they did when I bought them for 1.49 and about all I did was give them one round of shots and let them harden up a little bit.

One of the the guys that owns one of the barns I go to every week is supposed to let me know if he's got a deal for a bunch more on Thursday and if he can put a pretty good bottom on them I may sell 15 or 20 more.
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom - Dwight Eisenhower

RanchMan90
Rancher
Rancher

Postby RanchMan90 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Ojp6 wrote:I've sold a few, got about 30 left.

The ones I've sold did pretty good. I had some 598 lb bulls that cost 1.14 laid in that hadn't gained a lot because I bought them as fleshy bawling calves and didn't give them anything but grass for about 30 days. I sold them as weaned steers weighing 10 lbs more than they did when I bought them for 1.49 and about all I did was give them one round of shots and let them harden up a little bit.

One of the the guys that owns one of the barns I go to every week is supposed to let me know if he's got a deal for a bunch more on Thursday and if he can put a pretty good bottom on them I may sell 15 or 20 more.

Sounds like a home run for 30 days. :D

Ojp6
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ojp6 » Tue May 09, 2017 11:34 pm

Yeah, I guess I would usually keep them a little bit longer to make sure they were gonna stay healthy but since they hadn't gotten sick yet i decided it was time to move them.
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom - Dwight Eisenhower

Return to “Beginners Board”