Buying steers or heifers?

The place to start if you are new!
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Buying steers or heifers?

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:35 am

If you were to buy calves to resell for maximum return on feed or grass what size and gender would you buy and why?
Success is not a station on the railroad where you get off and your life's work is complete. Success is the train itself ~ Allan Nation

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Buying steers or heifers?

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:43 am

I've marked this week off to buy 300 pound calves. I'm buying steers, bulls and heifers. It'll be interesting to see which ones net the most. Btw, the bulls aren't coming at much of a discount.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Ojp6
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ojp6 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:16 am

I'm just buying some calves to kick out on grass right now, but I will probably feed them a little bit too. I've got 10 bought so far 7 bulls and 3 heifers weighing in the 4s for about 1.05. Just the kind of calves I'm hoping will make number ones in 45-60 days so I can turn around and sell them and start looking for more just like them.

I'm betting the bulls will do a little better for me because there is very little difference in price in the bulls and the heifers that I am buying.
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom - Dwight Eisenhower

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:16 pm

Same here. I've been buying thin 2-3 wt heifers for a $450 average. Looks like about any class of calves should gross $200 this grazing season. The lighter calves just look to have the best ROI, and heifers lower risk. :2cents:
Success is not a station on the railroad where you get off and your life's work is complete. Success is the train itself ~ Allan Nation

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:39 pm

You should do a value of gain calculation on wts. by class. This usually shows grade 1-2 light wt. bulls have the highest VOG but they are too immature for grass... So it depends on your back grounding capacity and your feed quality and your stocking rate and whether they will get supplemented on grass and whether you are a per head or per acre or per $ guy. :cboy:

I am a per acre guy who is full up on 6 to 7 wt. heifers who will get 3# concentrate per day till the grass is not washy.
Stocker Steve

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:58 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:You should do a value of gain calculation on wts. by class. This usually shows grade 1-2 light wt. bulls have the highest VOG but they are too immature for grass... So it depends on your back grounding capacity and your feed quality and your stocking rate and whether they will get supplemented on grass and whether you are a per head or per acre or per $ guy. :cboy:

I am a per acre guy who is full up on 6 to 7 wt. heifers who will get 3# concentrate per day till the grass is not washy.

Cog and vog are two of my favorite acronyms. Im always trying to perfect my setup. My current carrying capacity is to low for grass to be anything more than a roughage supplement. These thin heifers are shining up pretty well of 5 lbs of 16% ration. If and when I can make $100 on them I ship them 3-4 times a year. It wouldn't take much to upgrade your heifers just by turning a bull in, if a man wanted to own them that long.

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:58 pm

if I knew that id already be done messing with cows
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:59 pm

if I knew that id already be done messing with cows
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:05 pm

dieselbeef wrote:if I knew that id already be done messing with cows

Come on in, the water's fine :lol2:

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:18 pm

dieselbeef wrote:if I knew that id already be done messing with cows

Cows are too easy :nod:
Stocker Steve

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:11 am

making money with all the answers is even easier..id just make my millions buying low and selling high and retire...
einstein

Kell-inKY
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Kell-inKY » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:00 am

Wish there was someone around here I knew that could teach me what to look for in calves so I could do this.

I've been making some really bad decisions on what I've purchased and what I've sold these past 4 years. I'll be honest though, I usually only learn from my mistakes, and only after making them quite a few times...

ClinchValley
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ClinchValley » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:52 pm

Kell-inKY wrote:Wish there was someone around here I knew that could teach me what to look for in calves so I could do this.

I've been making some really bad decisions on what I've purchased and what I've sold these past 4 years. I'll be honest though, I usually only learn from my mistakes, and only after making them quite a few times...

Yup. And yup! Learning is expensive no matter how we go about it.
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:12 pm

Kell-inKY wrote:I've been making some really bad decisions on what I've purchased and what I've sold these past 4 years. I'll be honest though, I usually only learn from my mistakes, and only after making them quite a few times...

The hard lessons are the best learned. You've lived it. First hand experience is way better than someone telling you about it.

You buy some right, turn them for profit, and then everyone is going to tell you that you were "lucky" . You're not going to get a bit of credit for the hard learned lessons. A little luck never hurt anyone.
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Chocolate Cow
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:36 pm

Kell-inKY, have you thought about having an order buyer get your calves for you? I've spend countless hours at salebarns and on the computer. My time is worth just as much as the next guys. I've found it's way easier to use a buyer I trust. I know what weights/color/sex I want. I tell him to buy as if he was buying for himself. It's been good. He calls and tells me what he bought and where to pick them up.
Bud Williams has a very good method of buying calves. Don't know if the info is still on his website. Some years back, there was a woman (Ann Barnhardt) in Colorado who taught his method and sold an instructional DVD. She sorta went off the deep end though.

Return to “Beginners Board”