Diversifying with sheep question

The place to start if you are new!
Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Diversifying with sheep question

Postby Ky cowboy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:54 pm

We have some smaller pastures that we have been cutting for hay for several years that are on a different farm. Thinking about buying some sheep to run on it, I've looked at several different breeds mainly wool sheep. Dorset seems to be my choice so far but wanting opinion . Thanks
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Re: Diversifying with sheep question

Postby RanchMan90 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:26 pm

The wool market doent pay enough to shear them. I prefer hair sheep. Dorper, katahdin, and crosses of the two :2cents:
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:48 pm

I don't care about the wool, the hair sheep I've seen haven't impressed me at all and look to much like goats. For the small number that I'll be running I'll shear them just to clean them up and discard of the wool.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:26 pm

Ky cowboy wrote:I don't care about the wool, the hair sheep I've seen haven't impressed me at all and look to much like goats. For the small number that I'll be running I'll shear them just to clean them up and discard of the wool.

Don't sound like you really want opinions. Already got your mind made up :???:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

jerry27150
GURU
GURU

Postby jerry27150 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:43 pm

sheep are fine, but are always looking for a way to die
0 x

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:01 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Ky cowboy wrote:I don't care about the wool, the hair sheep I've seen haven't impressed me at all and look to much like goats. For the small number that I'll be running I'll shear them just to clean them up and discard of the wool.

Don't sound like you really want opinions. Already got your mind made up :???:

No, it's not like that at all. I just prefer the wool breeds vs hair sheep. Except maybe the dorpher but I haven't seen them in person. There's just not many options in my area other than kathaidians.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:06 pm

My b-i-l has some kind of hair sheep. 6-7 right now. They don't seem to be able to keep up with the grass growth--he still has to mow. I don't know the exact breed but they are some offshoot of dorpers.
Nasty looking things tho and he still has to do some shearing anyway once the weather turns warm, and they stink all to be dam.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:10 pm

jerry27150 wrote:sheep are fine, but are always looking for a way to die

I assumed he had seen cattle die in every way possible and was looking for an animal that is even more inventive at it. See quite a few cattle people get a few sheep nowadays and are amazed at how fast and easily they die.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:05 am

Yep, "born looking for a way to die" is how it was explained to me.

Goats aren't much of an improvement, but they do BBQ better than pasture maggots.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:14 am

Shedding sheep like Dorpers would be the way to go. Dogs can make a mess of them real quick.

Ken
0 x

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:17 am

hair sheep are hardy good animals depending on the breeder you buy them from. The bad part is most people are hobby yuppies who worm and baby these sheep everyday. You put them in a range enviroment and they die.

I had 180 hair ewes and never wormed or did anything to any of them. I had some pretty good loses the first year and after that everyone was pretty hardy.

Right now price are still really good with a nice 80 lb lambing bringing aroun 200.00 ..

I got out of them but as I'm getting back in.

The thing I found out is if you continually let them graze they will kill all your orchard grass.
0 x

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:19 am

greybeard wrote:

Yep, "born looking for a way to die" is how it was explained to me.

Goats aren't much of an improvement, but they do BBQ better than pasture maggots.

I had 120 nanny goats and a goat is always looking for a way to die. They are terrible mothers and beat each other.. beat the kids.. get every disease imaginable. they are a terrible animal. these were kiko goats btw.

I did buy some spanish goats from a old ranch in texas that were extremely nice and good goats.. those would be the only goats I'd ever buy again.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:39 am

Hair sheep And Spanish x goats are both very hardy and moneymakers.
I promise they are not looking for a way to die. Predators are a problem and the biggest reason we got out. I just had to much to do and something had to go.

Bringing sheep in every night was a big chore. So went the sheep

My biggest question is do you have a auction near enough to market your lambs.? Also hair sheep will eat brush, weeds, briars etc. They are generally used to utilize sorry brushy pasture. Running them on good ground away from the house seems backwards to me.

I would stay away from wool sheep
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:28 am

callmefence wrote:Hair sheep And Spanish x goats are both very hardy and moneymakers.
I promise they are not looking for a way to die. Predators are a problem and the biggest reason we got out. I just had to much to do and something had to go.

Bringing sheep in every night was a big chore. So went the sheep

My biggest question is do you have a auction near enough to market your lambs.? Also hair sheep will eat brush, weeds, briars etc. They are generally used to utilize sorry brushy pasture. Running them on good ground away from the house seems backwards to me.

I would stay away from wool sheep

my sheep would come in as soon as it started getting dark to the pasture in front of my house. they were trained pretty good. I never had to get them.
0 x

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:30 am

everything you read says how good they are at eating brush / weeds..

they might take a nibble out of some brush and a nibble of a weed, but they are 80%+ on grass if its available.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”