What to do? I need some opinions.

The place to start if you are new!
BC Acres
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: What to do? I need some opinions.

Postby BC Acres » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:15 am

For those of you that AI, is it fairly easy once you learn? I heard pregnancy rates go down compared to natural service. I've also been looking at sires online and some mention "superior settling." Does site selection really play a role in pregnancy rates? Should I expect to get all 5 bred most years with proper training. I wouldn't have a clean up bull.
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:50 pm
Location: middle tn

Re: What to do? I need some opinions.

Postby bse » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:59 am

There should be a tech around somewhere, contact the stud services!
If you sync 5 you should get 3 or more first service (nomally) then hit repeats 21 days later.
Doing it yourself will allow you to breed on natural heat if thats what you want to do. Wasn't real easy for me starting, but hung in there, feel like I do Ok now. And doing your own will be way cheaper than any bull, easy enough to get 100% doing your own cows.
0 x

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1272
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia

Re: What to do? I need some opinions.

Postby farmerjan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:54 am

One of the biggest problems with AI is simply getting them bred at the right time. Seriously, I did relief breeding for many years and the farmers were the bigger problems, because they weren't getting the cows caught up at the "optimal" time for breeding. If you are doing it on natural heats yourself, you will know when she comes in heat. AI isn't that hard, practice does make it easier and you better at it, so only 5 cows won't give you alot of practice. Some people have a "feel" for it and some don't. First off, I would contact the AI company closest to you. See if they have a tech. Take the course and see if you even like it or have a feel for it. Then make a decision from there.

How soon does he want to get rid of his stuff? It is getting near time for you to want the bull to use again. Can you talk him into letting you use him for the normal time then sell him? He wouldn't be out any money for feed if he is on your place for the next couple of months. Will he be taking him to the stockyards? Prices aren't all that great, you could very easily buy him back for kill price, use him for the time you want then sell and make decisions for next year. That way you are not getting into a money deal directly with your family.....they don't have to know you bought the same bull they sold, just that you bought a bull. Keeps the peace sometimes a little better. Unless he has a sale for him, he might be surprised what he ISN'T worth. Pound price here for cull bulls, and they are often perfectly decent bulls, is $1.00 lb or less.
0 x

User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6513
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Ctrl Virginia

Re: What to do? I need some opinions.

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:42 pm

farmerjan wrote:
How soon does he want to get rid of his stuff? It is getting near time for you to want the bull to use again. Can you talk him into letting you use him for the normal time then sell him? He wouldn't be out any money for feed if he is on your place for the next couple of months. Will he be taking him to the stockyards? Prices aren't all that great, you could very easily buy him back for kill price, use him for the time you want then sell and make decisions for next year. That way you are not getting into a money deal directly with your family......


This here, is a very good suggestion! Doing this, will buy you about a year to figure out and plan what to do for the future.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6368
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: What to do? I need some opinions.

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:56 pm

I would learn to AI if you have time. It will be benificial to you and in high demand as time goes on. You can probably make some decent side money doing it for neighbors like yourself.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

BC Acres
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: What to do? I need some opinions.

Postby BC Acres » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:23 pm

I brought up the idea of getting to use him one more time. He seemed open to it, but wanted me to try and sell him around here. People would be coming to my place to do the shopping. I don't know if I want that or not. When he offered him to me, I figured he would want kill prices so I thought I could maybe buy him for $2000 or less. He wants what he paid for it since it is a younger bull (going on 4 yrs old). He paid double that for it. He's family so I don't want to tell him that he's asking too much or maybe he's worth that and I just don't know selling prices very well.

On a good note, my other heifer just had her calf a couple hours ago. It's been up and nursed. Seems to be doing well. One more to go.
0 x

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3869
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: What to do? I need some opinions.

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:26 pm

BC Acres wrote:I am... a hobby cattleman. I only have a herd of 5 mommas, and I am in the middle of my 2nd calving season.
I am not in it for the money. I enjoy being around the cattle..... I don't want to lose my shirt....

My brother is in the same boat... He has a pretty nice bull that we swap back and forth... but he wants out.
If I add a bull, I'm sure I will be well over stocked. So what should I do?

1. Sell my pairs this fall and buy calves and background them.
2. Learn how to AI and do it myself.
3. Buy my own bull and hope weather isn't too bad when separated. Feed hay most of the year.
4. Sell my stock and buy my own bull. Buy pairs, breed momma and sell as heavy breds and sell calves too.
5. Say heck with it and sell out.
6. Other

Help me figure out what to do.

By the way, I live in KS if that matters.

6. By far your best option would be to hire A.I. technician if possible
or
7. buy a young slaughter bull by the pound, (if you look him over closely before sale you can reduce risks)
We're only talking 5 cows, run him for 60-70 days and then sell him for slaughter
IF 7 goes wrong... you can always go with number 5.
0 x

User avatar
Rafter S
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3856
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 am
Location: Grimes County, TX

Re: What to do? I need some opinions.

Postby Rafter S » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:53 pm

I don't pay any attention to calving ease or birth weight with mature cows. A mature beef breed cow should be able to deliver a calf sired by almost any bull from one of the common breeds.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

User avatar
backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy
Posts: 14246
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Texas

Re: What to do? I need some opinions.

Postby backhoeboogie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:03 pm

You could buy a bull and resell him after your cows are covered. You could AI. There are many possibilities.

You seem reluctant to work with your brother on selling the bull. That puzzles me. He is loaning you his bull cost free. You should be appreciative and willing to work with him for the benefit of you both.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

BC Acres
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: What to do? I need some opinions.

Postby BC Acres » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:33 pm

The deal with selling for him is I think it will be a tough situation. I appreciate the use of it. Very fortunate. The problem is, he wants to get rid of it soon. I generally turn out the bull July 1st. If I take him now, I have to keep him separated for a couple of months. I have two different lots so it is possible. The problem is one lot has no shelter at all. No building, no trees, just open pasture with a little shade from trees outside of the pasture. What happens if the bull sells before July, then I'm in the same boat. If it doesn't sell for the price he wants, he will be on my place much longer racking up the feed bill. I can't keep him too long or then I have to worry about trying to keep heifer calves away from him. Last fall I had to move him and some mommas with bull calves into one section because he was trying to mount a 6 mo old heifer. he doesn't want to take the bull to the sale barn. I'm worried the bull won't sell at the price he's asking for and then I have more problems. Family is important, so I try to avoid family problems that don't need to occur. Money causes conflict and selling a bull involves a decent chunk of change. It's his bull, so I will let him make the financial decisions around it.
0 x

User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6513
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Ctrl Virginia

Re: What to do? I need some opinions.

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:37 pm

BC Acres wrote: It's his bull, so I will let him make the financial decisions around it.


Not a bad idea.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1272
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia

Re: What to do? I need some opinions.

Postby farmerjan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:21 pm

I think that you are best off to let him try to sell the bull. But tell him that you will be glad to keep him for the 60-90 days or whatever you usually do, starting July 1st (or maybe sooner) if he hasn't sold him before then. And that you will not try to sell him but that your brother is welcome to do so. At the end of the say 90 days, when you are done with the bull and he still hasn't sold him, then he might realize that he is asking too much. Maybe he will get lucky and get him sold, but honestly, I doubt it. Prices on feeders are down, prices on bulls are generally down except for some exceptional ones...but in general they are off. Here a decent bull is bringing in the 2-3000 range at the local bull sales. Sure, a couple brought 6-8000 but there were a few younger that were nice enough that barely brought 2000.
I well understand not wanting to get into a problem with family and money can always cause that. Maybe you might be able to turn him in a little sooner if he wanted to get him off his place or keep him separate for a couple extra weeks but that could be tempting over the fence....
Maybe just let him see if he can sell him and then he might find out that he can't get what he wants due to the depressed cattle markets.
How far away is he from you? Would it be too much trouble for him to "show" him to prospective buyers? You could be willing to "show the bull" but tell anyone interested that he belongs to your brother and any/all deals would be his, not yours. That would absolve you of responsibility to "try to get the best price".
Call the closest AI company and see if they have a tech. Are you close to anyone that does AI that you could get to do yours? Maybe keep some semen in their tank and pay for a nitrogen filling or two as a "good faith" thank you for storing the straws? There are possibilities and with the lower prices maybe you could find someone else who would want to go in on a bull like you & your brother did? If he doesn't have a known sale for his cows, I wish him luck because it isn't great and looks to only get softer as the year progresses. It's not a positive outlook for the next year or two at least.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2727
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Michigan

Re: What to do? I need some opinions.

Postby angus9259 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:25 pm

Very few people who ai get 100% so you typically still need a cover bull. Every year I sell a bull to a frustrated person who hired or did their own ai and still had open cows.

I just dropped off a bull at the sale barn. I dropped him off there because he didn't pass his BSE. That's why a lot of bulls are in the sale barn.

I agree that a virgin bull would cost you $2000-2500 but is money well spent to 1. not get trich or any other disease and 2. know what you're getting from a breeding stand point. In the meantime, learn to ai if it's a hobby. That said if it's a hobby and you don't mine a long calving season or cows missing a season just ai could be fine for you.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 878
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: What to do? I need some opinions.

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:26 pm

I didn't read all the posts, so forgive me if it's been suggested. Your brother is getting out, so would his pasture be available? Could be a way in there for you to increase your capacity, or maybe create a place to feed your calves out instead of selling weaners? I forget who said it on here, but someone kept if for their signature....something about being fluid with your plans and willing to adapt to what the market/dollars dictate, so long as it falls within your means. Five mommas could make a great freezer beef factory. I too enjoy the cow/calf bit the most, but there have been drought years when we chopped 10 bushel corn instead of wasting fuel in the combine, and bought a hundred stockers to come out in the (almost) black. I pulled a similar move this year since I had some wheat I got out a little late last fall. It's making nice for some nice grazing this spring, as we typically try to stay off of our sopping wet clay/fescue pastures until the middle of May.
On a side note, I've got a real nice Traveler two year old that went nuts up last night. He's almost a perfect fit for you, as it appears he won't be eating much and wouldn't be too hard on a fence. I'd say his fertility is declining, but he's cheap.....Dirt (nap) cheap!
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

BC Acres
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: What to do? I need some opinions.

Postby BC Acres » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:25 pm

My brother lives about an hours drive from me. He has a 10 acre plot that he is using. The lot has some of timber on it, so the grass isn't great. He feeds hay all year long. The water situation isn't great. No pond, creek, or hydrant to get water from. All water has to be hauled. I would only be able to get out there on the weekend based on the distance. I wish it was here in town.

I've thought about freezer beef as an option but haven't really pursued all the details. I would have to drum up some customers.
0 x


Return to “Beginners Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], True Grit Farms and 10 guests