What to do? I need some opinions.

The place to start if you are new!
BC Acres
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: What to do? I need some opinions.

Postby BC Acres » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:45 pm

angus9259 wrote:Very few people who ai get 100% so you typically still need a cover bull. Every year I sell a bull to a frustrated person who hired or did their own ai and still had open cows.

I just dropped off a bull at the sale barn. I dropped him off there because he didn't pass his BSE. That's why a lot of bulls are in the sale barn.

I agree that a virgin bull would cost you $2000-2500 but is money well spent to 1. not get trich or any other disease and 2. know what you're getting from a breeding stand point. In the meantime, learn to ai if it's a hobby. That said if it's a hobby and you don't mine a long calving season or cows missing a season just ai could be fine for you.

I agree with all you said. The question is, does it make sense to buy a bull for 5 girls, leave him with them for 60 days and sell.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:17 am

BC Acres wrote:[
I agree with all you said. The question is, does it make sense to buy a bull for 5 girls, leave him with them for 60 days and sell.

Financially? No. But you have a hobby. It is what it is. Otherwise ai and have a calf here.... have a calf there.... watch heats like a hawk. Not sure what your ai tech will charge but eventually, that'll add up to have him/her keep coming out for the random open cow.

I cant remember who you said was the fall calver - you or your brother. In my neighborhood, there are few fall calvers so about Sept when everyone is getting done with their bulls, a $2500 bull becomes an $1800 in a hurry.
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:20 am

You can easily get 100% A I on 5 head, may take 2 rounds. still should be less than $500.
First thing id do is contact, Accelerated Genetics, Select Sites, or ABS see if they have a tech close by and talk to them. Even if its a hobby I don't think id throw bull type money at it, id take up fishing!!
0 x

BC Acres
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BC Acres » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:48 am

bse wrote:You can easily get 100% A I on 5 head, may take 2 rounds. still should be less than $500.
First thing id do is contact, Accelerated Genetics, Select Sites, or ABS see if they have a tech close by and talk to them. Even if its a hobby I don't think id throw bull type money at it, id take up fishing!!

I hope you are right. I think I'm leaning towards the AI route. I think I will put a call in to my vet and see what he has to say. I've been looking at Select Sire's site. Maybe I will call them too.
0 x

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:56 am

If it's a hobby try one method and then the next and so forth. You'll figure out what you like. You aren't caring if you lose money remember. Sounds like you care if you make a $Buck, asking good questions. I just hate the word hobby mentioned with cattle. If I just had 1 cow or just 1 calf I would want it to make a $Buck. You got some good feedback.
0 x

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:16 am

BC Acres wrote:
bse wrote:You can easily get 100% A I on 5 head, may take 2 rounds. still should be less than $500.

I hope you are right. I think I'm leaning towards the AI route. I think I will put a call in to my vet and see what he has to say. I've been looking at Select Sire's site. Maybe I will call them too.

We use Select Sires and they are a good company. Would diffidently recommend them.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:24 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Good young bulls come through the sale barns here almost weekly.
And most of the time you can buy them for a bid or two over kill prices.

Yep... for only 5 cows not only start up cost of A.I. training and equipment and ongoing expense of having to buy nitrogen refills for the semen tank year after year plus semen and then having to watch for and catch cows in heat. Then if the first few cows repeat service, could leave you 2nd guessing with regret. Yes 100% first service conception is possible on only 5 cows, but so is 0% for a beginner. No matter how well trained coming out of school you're still a beginner for the first dozen or so pregnancies under your belt.
For 5 hobby cows hiring a professional A.I. tech would be the better investment choice to start.
OR
A decent young slaughter bull for a bid or 2 over slaughter price, and then get your money back after 3-4 months by sending him to slaughter (or more by selling him on craigslist or word of mouth) Would make more sense to me for a guy with a full time job and a 5 -10 commercial cow hobby on the side, than the time and expense of do it yourself A.I.

It's your choice of course, but going the do it yourself A.I. route ain't all a bed of roses.
0 x

BC Acres
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BC Acres » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:43 pm

You guys have been a lot of help. I called my vet and he does AI service. I would have to take my cows to him. Haven't heard back from him yet, but I have heard from his secretary. I also called Select Sires and found the tech that services my area. He seems like a very nice guy and is very helpful. He told me to plan on $50-$60 per head depending on the bull I select. They would come out a second time too since I don't have a cover bull. The tech is only about 30 min from my house. I may give it a whirl and see how it goes.

Anyone have any experience with some of the bulls select sires offers? Right now I sell weaned calves at the barn so I want decent weaning weights and something that puts out good heifers in add I want to retain some. Thanks!
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:29 pm

BC Acres wrote:You guys have been a lot of help. I called my vet and he does AI service. I would have to take my cows to him. Haven't heard back from him yet, but I have heard from his secretary. I also called Select Sires and found the tech that services my area. He seems like a very nice guy and is very helpful. He told me to plan on $50-$60 per head depending on the bull I select. They would come out a second time too since I don't have a cover bull. The tech is only about 30 min from my house. I may give it a whirl and see how it goes.

Anyone have any experience with some of the bulls select sires offers? Right now I sell weaned calves at the barn so I want decent weaning weights and something that puts out good heifers in add I want to retain some. Thanks!

I don't know how many fellas I've seen do this and to date have seen none happy with the result. I'm sure I just need to keep better company :). Good luck to you - please let us know that you are the one for whom the stars align! This is one case where I would looooove to be told "I told you so"!!
0 x

BC Acres
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BC Acres » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:57 pm

I don't know how many fellas I've seen do this and to date have seen none happy with the result. I'm sure I just need to keep better company :). Good luck to you - please let us know that you are the one for whom the stars align! This is one case where I would looooove to be told "I told you so"!![/quote]

You may very well be right, but I'm going to give it a shot. If it doesn't take, maybe I will buy a bull this fall and make my girls fall calvers. You live and you learn.
0 x

kickinbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kickinbull » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:00 pm

If you want to purchase a bull possibly one of you neighbors has one for sale.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:19 pm

IF you A.I. I'd definitely choose the Select Sires tech over the vet.
The Select guys I've known have been good and will point you in the right direction on sire choices. They also carry
Ka-Mar Heat Detector patches, so you can buy 5 or 10 instead of a box of 50 to aid you in observing standing heats.

By the by
At our local sale barn there is a vet on duty, if you buy a young slaughter bull you can run him right to the vet for bse
and semen test. If by chance he would fail you can put him back in the ring for slaughter without ever having to take
him home.... just saying...
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:55 pm

BC Acres wrote:You may very well be right, but I'm going to give it a shot. If it doesn't take, maybe I will buy a bull this fall and make my girls fall calvers. You live and you learn.

I applaud your attitude. Fall calvers will make the bull cheaper too! Living and learning is all any of us can really hope to accomplish in life....
0 x

BC Acres
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BC Acres » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:25 pm

Son of Butch wrote:IF you A.I. I'd definitely choose the Select Sires tech over the vet.
The Select guys I've known have been good and will point you in the right direction on sire choices. They also carry
Ka-Mar Heat Detector patches, so you can buy 5 or 10 instead of a box of 50 to aid you in observing standing heats.

By the by
At our local sale barn there is a vet on duty, if you buy a young slaughter bull you can run him right to the vet for bse
and semen test. If by chance he would fail you can put him back in the ring for slaughter without ever having to take
him home.... just saying...

Those are good points Butch. I will keep that in mind.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:21 am

BC Acres wrote:You guys have been a lot of help. I called my vet and he does AI rvice. I would have to take my cows to him. Haven't heard back from him yet, but I have heard from his secretary. I also called Select Sires and found the tech that services my area. He seems like a very nice guy and is very helpful. He told me to plan on $50-$60 per head depending on the bull I select. They would come out a second time too since I don't have a cover bull. The tech is only about 30 min from my house. I may give it a whirl and see how it goes.

Good thread and good advice. BC, we have just had cows (registered black angus) for about 5 years. We've gone from 2 to almost 20 (selling and butchering several along the way)--solely with AI from our Select Sires tech. We also have a friend (retired AI tech/Cornell ag expert) who helps pick out our matings each year. We have used Conneally Comrade as much as we can the last 2 years. His calves have been phenomenal. Small at birth but incredibly vigorous. They literally hit the ground running. Has added some carcass without (knock wood) sacrificing the things we liked in our herd (temperament, hardiness).
I will say that going to AI, without a cleanup bull you will have to really watch heats from about day 15-25 after AI, so that you can catch any that didn't take on round 1. Even so, out of 5 mamas, don't be surprised if you end up with one that doesn't take even after 2 AI tries. If you want to keep your calving season tight (and I would want to), you'll have to be willing to sell any mamas that fall too far out of the group. But for sure I wouldn't spend serious $ on a bull for 5 cows....
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”