What to do? I need some opinions.

The place to start if you are new!
BC Acres
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: What to do? I need some opinions.

Postby BC Acres » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:34 pm

Well, I talked to a Select Sires AI tech and am going to have him AI my cows. He suggested the Comrade, Composure, or Capitalist. I see boondocks reccommends Comrade. I was leaning toward Composure with the higher weaning weights since I will sell my calves after weaning. Anyone ave calves from the Composure bull?
Last edited by BC Acres on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:48 pm

Boondocks, says she gets mostly heifers so that would be something to consider when your selecting the bull to use.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:28 pm

Higher weaning weight potential can cost you money at selling time if the cow doesn;t have the milk to allow the calf to reach it's potential. Without adequate milk the calf will look like a poor doer and will bring less at the barn.
That's one of the traps of chasing higher weaning weights
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

BC Acres
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BC Acres » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:10 pm

dun wrote:Higher weaning weight potential can cost you money at selling time if the cow doesn;t have the milk to allow the calf to reach it's potential. Without adequate milk the calf will look like a poor doer and will bring less at the barn.
That's one of the traps of chasing higher weaning weights

Thanks for the info dun. What should I be more concerned with if I want to sell calves at the barn?
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:37 pm

Uniformity, frame and muscle. Find out if any of the barns have a value added type of sale for weaned preconditioned vaccinated calves. If there is one, do whatever they require to make that sale. You might not in the first year or 2 get much more then you ahve in them. But after you have a reputation for the right type of cattle you will end up getting a little more then the run of the mill calves thatare in the sale.
0 x

BC Acres
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BC Acres » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:17 am

dun wrote:Uniformity, frame and muscle. Find out if any of the barns have a value added type of sale for weaned preconditioned vaccinated calves. If there is one, do whatever they require to make that sale. You might not in the first year or 2 get much more then you ahve in them. But after you have a reputation for the right type of cattle you will end up getting a little more then the run of the mill calves thatare in the sale.

Are there certain EPDs that I should be more concerned with in order to add that uniformity, frame, and muscle, or do you look at the bull himself and his offspring to use the eyeball test? I assume part of uniformity is a tight calving season with mommas that are similar frame and breed.

We have a "special weaned cattle sale" every now and then. I sold in it last fall. I only had 3 calves (1 heifer and two steers).
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:19 am

EPDs won;t help, it's pretty much eyeball
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:40 pm

If there's no heifers, I wouldnt use the high CED LBW bulls, there's really no need. I bought some Niagra to use on some commercial cows, low SC but I think everything else may work. I'm sure there are several more without being heifer bulls.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:06 pm

bse wrote:If there's no heifers, I wouldn't use the high CED LBW bulls, there's really no need.

+1 :nod:
I read a report of a study regarding calf birth weight and calving difficulty in cows.
It found that 3rd calf cows and beyond giving birth to calves up to 12 lbs heavier than average had exactly the same
percentage of difficult births as 3rd calf+ cows giving birth to average birth weight calves.

It concluded calving difficulty in cows did not increase until the birth weights went more than 12 lbs over average.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”