Neck bars

The place to start if you are new!
Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Neck bars

Postby Ky cowboy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:00 am

I was talking in another post that we worked cattle the other day, we had trouble getting some of the cattle to cooperate in the chute to give the shots in the proper location. I've seen the neck bars advertised before think I could make it pretty easily and just weld or bolt them to the headgate. Does anyone have any experience with them. We give the shots in the neck according to bqa

Thanks
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Re: Neck bars

Postby bse » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:08 pm

I put a pair on my Priefert, ill give em to you if you want them. Hated them, all I have to do is pull the head catch a little tighter and the neck is right there.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:17 pm

Ky cowboy wrote:I was talking in another post that we worked cattle the other day, we had trouble getting some of the cattle to cooperate in the chute to give the shots in the proper location. I've seen the neck bars advertised before think I could make it pretty easily and just weld or bolt them to the headgate. Does anyone have any experience with them. We give the shots in the neck according to bqa

Thanks

Ever tried giving sub Q shots behind the front leg right where it joins the shoulder?? Not BQA but a heck of a lot easier and just as effective. Another place is in the fold of skin either side of the tailhead.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:20 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Ky cowboy wrote:I was talking in another post that we worked cattle the other day, we had trouble getting some of the cattle to cooperate in the chute to give the shots in the proper location. I've seen the neck bars advertised before think I could make it pretty easily and just weld or bolt them to the headgate. Does anyone have any experience with them. We give the shots in the neck according to bqa

Thanks

Ever tried giving sub Q shots behind the front leg right where it joins the shoulder?? Not BQA but a heck of a lot easier and just as effective. Another place is in the fold of skin either side of the tailhead.

Oh crap. You just opened a can of worms.
0 x

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:35 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

Thanks

Lol yep!
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon May 01, 2017 8:51 am

Bright Raven wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

Thanks

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: They'll never find any evidence. :nod:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Mon May 01, 2017 9:01 am

I was hoping that they would hold the head tighter where I could give shots easier and faster. It's an old ww squeeze chute with the auto catch so can't tighten on their head anymore really. I borrow the chute from my grandad but gonna take it back and replace it with a priefert 91 I think. I liked that you could switch from auto to manual. It's only gonna be a head gate not enough room for squeeze really and not in the budget
0 x

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Postby ChrisB » Mon May 01, 2017 11:39 am

One of our foremost headgates has them. Have only had them a year but so far have had a few cows go down on front knees and slide their neck under the bottom of the neck bar then it's a real pain to get back. Have to let the cow back out of the headgate before letting them go. I think if they were used along with a brisket bar they might be pretty nice, but I'm not sold on them yet.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Mon May 01, 2017 6:54 pm

I just use a chain welded to far side and pull it across under their neck/chin to a slotted lug on the opposite side, I find it works well on the few occaisions I need it.

Ken
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”